IGNORED

Supernotes

GDMike

1 hour ago, Lee Stewart said:

Code? What I posted works just fine.

...lee

I gotta go get it off tipi

its in the disk blocks image here screen 15-16

I've got ink!! Finally, now I can print out your fb 1.0 manual.

The blocks above lee is probably something I'm not doing correctly. 

FBLOCKS

Edited by GDMike

7 hours ago, GDMike said:

The word >MAP isn't recognized after I defined it and I got no errors at run time during compile. And it doesn't show up in vlist.

You misspelled it. Block/screen #16 has MAP> . The word is >MAP . Also, a minor nit: The error message for S0&TIB! has “too” misspelled.

It would probably be easier on you to use a larger FBLOCKS file. The one I shipped with the system has only 63 blocks to accommodate the limited space on a 90-KiB disk. I typically make them 80 blocks long, but that is not a magic number.

...lee

• Thanks 1

I've been doing long hours and dealing with the weather and my in laws..gees, in laws, oh and not to forget about the bill collectors...

ahhhh,shoot lee, I don't have one excuse to get me outta DA. 

Hmmmm. Ok.. I'll take a break for a moment. Lol

But I do yes, need to make a larger disk., Hence the printing of the manual would help me. I got ink!! No paper. Well I was supposed to go to the store today but again, the weather, the in laws...

Thank you so much.

Btw, how do I use the word(s) or what do I need to call and what order?

Thank you

Edited by GDMike

43 minutes ago, GDMike said:

When I fire up S0&TIB! I always get the "too low msg"

I went back and re-read your notes, and at least the words don't error on me, but I'm not seeing, as of yet, how to do anything with it. Shucks. Maybe I just need to wait for your final code and it'll probably all come together.

50 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I went back and re-read your notes, and at least the words don't error on me, but I'm not seeing, as of yet, how to do anything with it. Shucks. Maybe I just need to wait for your final code and it'll probably all come together.

Did you give it the address parameter ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GDMike said:

When I fire up S0&TIB! I always get the "too low msg"

S0&TIB! currently will not let you put S0/TIB in any 4-KiB block before HERE , including the one containing HERE . If your dictionary is so big that HERE is already at or past E000, you must tighten things up or it will never work. I presume you put an address on the stack for S0&TIB! to use, right? As long as you give it any address in the block where you want S0/TIB, S0&TIB! will put it in the correct place:

HEX
E406 S0&TIB!
U.

will print “EFA0” (the S0/TIB location S0&TIB! set up for you).

Also, you should issue SAMS-ON only once per session. There is really no need to turn SAMS mapping off, so SAMS-OFF is kind of superfluous, at the moment. The SAMS initializing word will be the only code that needs it. fbForth 2.0 turns SAMS mapping on and leaves it on, nor does it provide either of those words. The only thing you need to do is to enable and disable writing to the SAMS registers, and >MAP does that for you, automatically.

After the above setup is performed, i.e., S0/TIB is where you want it and SAMS-ON has been executed, you only need to use >MAP for each time you want a different SAMS bank. If you have S0/TIB at EFA0 and are using just the F000 block for banking, the following will move SAMS bank 1A to F000:

HEX
01A F000 >MAP

Now, any reads/writes from/to F000 – FFFF will go to SAMS page 1A. When you need to swap in another page, say 1B, do so with

HEX
01B F000 >MAP

Now, accessing the F000 4-KiB block will be, in reality, accessing SAMS bank 1B ....

...lee

22 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

HEX
01A F000 >MAP

Nope. 

Here's my order of things.

Hex E406 S0&TIB! Msg too low

So I tried, because I'm not understanding S0 and TIB!,

So I tried Hex E406 S0 

And it was accepted

I then used hex E406 TIB and it was accepted

Btw, here . is -1826 decimal

So is my current dictionary too large. I guess, right?

I don't know much regarding setting up dictionaries in forth, as I gotta do some research in your book here, but can I just use a word to create a new one, and just activate the other when I need it?

Thx

Edited by GDMike

12 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Hex E406 S0&TIB! Msg too low

. . .

Btw, here . is -1826 decimal.   So is my current dictionary too large. I guess, right?

Yes. HERE is already into the F000 block. At the very least, you must have, E000 – FFFF free. You cannot have everything you ever want loaded in the system at the same time—not enough room. You need to manage your tasks separately. That is the main reason I took it to cartridge.

So I tried, because I'm not understanding S0 and TIB!,

So I tried Hex E406 S0 

And it was accepted

S0 and TIB are different user variables that contain the same address. The TIB is a one-line (80 characters + 2 nulls) text buffer that goes up from FFA0 (default) to FFF1. S0 is the base of the parameter stack, which grows down toward HERE .

When you typed “ HEX E406 S0 ” you changed nothing. All you did was to put 2 numbers on the stack, E406 and the address of user variable, S0 .

I then used hex E406 TIB and it was accepted

Same comment as my last one—2 numbers on the stack.

...lee

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GDMike said:

I don't know much regarding setting up dictionaries in forth, as I gotta do some research in your book here, but can I just use a word to create a new one, and just activate the other when I need it?

Except for the ASSEMBLER and EDITOR2 (64-column editor) vocabularies, which are not resident, but are both loadable from FBLOCKS, everything in the resident dictionary and words you load are in/added-to the FORTH vocabulary. However, the resident dictionary and everything you load from blocks files takes up RAM space, regardless of whether there is one or several vocabularies.

The easiest way to handle several packages is to set up each irreducible (must have at the same time) package into several BSAVE/BLOAD scenarios so you do not have to wait forever to load them when you want them. I can help with that.

...lee

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Ahh. Yes that did satisfy S0&TIB!

SAMS-ON done next

And then I did hex 01A F000 >MAP

And placed a value of 5 @ >F000

Then I did hex 01B F000 >MAP

And no difference in value..

What do you mean, “no difference in value”? I presume you did something like the following:

HEX
01A F000 >MAP
5 F000 !
01B F000 >MAP
F000 @

And you are telling me you got 5 from the last statement?

...lee

• Thanks 1

I also tried with SAMS-ON first before anything else.. just because..??

No difference.

I'll work on enlarging the disk to 80

I've done that many times in TF

Just different words ?

Sonic at least know what is going on there.

I'll look into dictionary(homework)

Thx lee, it's always fun. But it's more fun when it goes well. But then, there's no fun..

Edited by GDMike

1 hour ago, GDMike said:

. Here is now -10976 decimal

Loaded CRU and  here . -10726

HEX E406 S0&TIB! Ok 1

. -1060

Now, SAMS-ON ok

HEX 01A F000 >MAP ok

Hex F000 @ . -5ABC

5 F000 ! Ok

HEX 01B F000 >MAP ok

Hex F000 @ . 5 

For these exchanges, it will be much easier to understand your output if you will get in the habit of using U. instead of . for word values like addresses. The negative values are not very helpful.

...lee

• Like 1