IGNORED

Bentley ATARI 8 ?

Aking

Thanks for posting the video, it was really nice to see someone making good progress in the game.

Runner Bear was developed for both the A8 and 5200. It is an endless runner with characters from Crystal Castles. The A8 version was released on the 2020 New Year Disk and almost immediately a cracked version appeared with infinite fire power and continues together with a comment that the game was too hard. So rather than release the 5200 game straight away I started making some changes, adding more fire power and continues and making some of the jumps and enemies a little easier. It has taken a back seat while I do something else, but I'd made most of the changes I wanted to so it shouldn't take too long when I get back to it.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2020 at 1:11 PM, playsoft said:

Thanks for posting the video, it was really nice to see someone making good progress in the game.

Runner Bear was developed for both the A8 and 5200. It is an endless runner with characters from Crystal Castles. The A8 version was released on the 2020 New Year Disk and almost immediately a cracked version appeared with infinite fire power and continues together with a comment that the game was too hard. So rather than release the 5200 game straight away I started making some changes, adding more fire power and continues and making some of the jumps and enemies a little easier. It has taken a back seat while I do something else, but I'd made most of the changes I wanted to so it shouldn't take too long when I get back to it.

I like what I see but I too think it needs to have levels to be a proper console game. I like Bentley Bear's design with his hat more so than how he appears in Crystal Quest but if there was a way to add some more color to him, that would make it even better [but that might be sprite or resolution limitation]. I would also recommend stripping it of Super Mario Bros. music. Nintendo is sue-happy. There are plenty of POKEY audio masters here that could really crank out an exceptional soundtrack for it too. Single, Dual, or more POKEY audio since I imagine we're not too long from having something like PokeyMax being able to work in a 5200. 

Getting Bentley Bear to jump more like he does in Crystal Quest, Mario in Super Mario Bros., or Pac-Man in Pac-Land would be nice although it would "run" counter to the goals of a "runner" type experience. Throwing in a Centipede or a Millipede to have to jump over - especially if it went vertical - would be an interesting challenge. Maybe that could be a boss. Or a few of the enemies from Tempest shooting down diagonally from the top right of the screen that Bentley Bear has to jump over/through would be cool. Just some thoughts... there's other Atari character IP to be mined. :)

On 5/19/2020 at 6:41 PM, Lynxpro said:

I like what I see but I too think it needs to have levels to be a proper console game. I like Bentley Bear's design with his hat more so than how he appears in Crystal Quest but if there was a way to add some more color to him, that would make it even better [but that might be sprite or resolution limitation]. I would also recommend stripping it of Super Mario Bros. music. Nintendo is sue-happy. There are plenty of POKEY audio masters here that could really crank out an exceptional soundtrack for it too. Single, Dual, or more POKEY audio since I imagine we're not too long from having something like PokeyMax being able to work in a 5200. 

You're welcome to use my music from 7800 Bentley Bear in this, of course ... :)

12 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

You're welcome to use my music from 7800 Bentley Bear in this, of course ... :)

You mean "they're" welcome to use your music.  I wasn't going to volunteer you without your permission but I did have you in mind!  :)

• 1 month later...

I only wanted to write a little endless runner game, not a full blown platform game. Maybe using Bentley was a mistake since it has drawn comparisons with the 7800 game.

I have used all the space in a 32K ROM and can't add anything else. The game does have a change of scenery but the player in that video didn't get that far. In this version I have made it happen more often, so it's more like day/night now. The death jingle has been changed to a Darryl original! The invincible jingle you will all probably hate, but it is from my favourite band and very apt for the scenario.

I know bigger ROMs are available, I took that route with AtariBlast! but decided I would limit myself to 32K after that. I have grown to really hate designing screens anyway, so I would not add any more even if there was space.

So on that terrible disappointment...

runner5200.bin notes.txt

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4