IGNORED

Crappy 130XE Video Output

Colleton

I bought a 130XE recently and while it works, it has the worst video output I've seen on an A8.  Vertical bars of lighter and darker color across the entire screen.  I'm attaching a couple of pics that show the problem.

The motherboard is pristine, I don't believe that the machine has ever been messed with.  The only socketed chips are the CPU and the ANTIC chips, and I have reseated them using deoxit.

Anyone have any thoughts on what this might be? Are there any video clean-up options like Super Video for the 130XE? 

If I go with an aftermarket video solution, which one suits the 130XE best?I have machines with Sophia and UAV, but have never tried VBXE.

Thanks!

c_sm.png

a_sm.png

4 minutes ago, Colleton said:

I bought a 130XE recently and while it works, it has the worst video output I've seen on an A8.  Vertical bars of lighter and darker color across the entire screen.  I'm attaching a couple of pics that show the problem.

You mean worst when paired with an LCD. Results on a CRT are a completely different story.

• Like 5

yep factory, and ntsc... though the posted reference picture is pal...

the dram timing noise can be alleviated a little  by putting toroid beads on bodge wires, and supplying power directly to the video circuits instead of being fed off the same lines as the cmos dram chips...

some folks swear that using better fresher caps helped them as well

ymmv

Doc Brown

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

It looks like there is a wrong resistor value in there somewhere, probably from the factory. I would trace them all down based on the schematic and find which one is wrong.

It looks to me like the Chroma is way too hot, so I would start there.

Edited by R.Cade
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Colleton said:

Sure.  I'm assuming that the two wires are factory, but I could be wrong?

Those wires are fine.

Thanks for the image.  I've taken the liberty and borrowed your image so I can bring something to your attention.  The typical scenario with an image such as yours, is that the video circuit is incomplete.

If you take a trip to the link below, you'll look for TWAUG issue 33 (the last one), then go to page 32, for your remedy.

http://ftp.atarimania.com/atari-magazine-twaug-newsletter_65.html

d_sm.thumb.png.9d50b265e2e716e40a5d9747e4824ac8.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 5/17/2020 at 10:03 AM, kheller2 said:

I curious why this would make a difference.  Those components are for using a crystal vs oscillator and are for the clock.  If you do all that work, then at that point, just pull the OSC and shove in Y1 and be done with it. :)

it makes the difference because the digital noise is reduced and the supply to the video circuit is not as restricted. The video circuit on the 130XE is  starved...  more so and especially when there are modifications added to it.. this mod and a quality cable cleans it up nicely. It allows quick response killing the noise a bit and allows the current to flow nicely. It's a better tune and simply put... it works very well

Edited by _The Doctor__