IGNORED

Open or Example Assembler Source Code

A few Atari games out there, even including Star Raiders.  Though I'd not recommend it as a learning example.  A more simple 2D game would be better.

Plus plenty of scene/homebrew games over time have had the source code released, some even in parallel with the game itself.

1 hour ago, Graham Dearsley said:

I would love to have a look at the source code for the Atari Galaxians cartridge or does anyone just know how they managed to put so many colours on the moving Galaxians ?

I believe that game used characters for the main formation, allowing for 5 colours per object.

On 5/16/2020 at 11:00 PM, pixelmischief said:

I want to get a look at how the big boys are accomplishing a few things that I am simply at a loss for how to do.

Also, don't forget to just ask stuff here ;) Lot of knowledge among the AA users.

• Like 1

Things like this can be easily analyzed in Altirra. Use ctrl+F8 to switch layer mode, that will show you what is PMG, and that is which field. Next ctrl+F8 will show you color registers changes during the frame. And if you break into debugger using F8, you can then use Alt+click on screen, to see what is the current Antic mode, VRAM address and DLIST address for line. That can give you some idea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1