IGNORED

Formula Retro Racing (Virtua Racing Clone on Steam)

I just though I'd mention that yesterday Formula Retro Racing came out on steam for $12.99.  (link)  It's a Virtua Racing clone that nails the track feel totally, and I highly recommend it. Small developer, so I don't expect word to get around too quickly.

However, I will say that it's still a little rough, so prepare your expectations for:

• the UI's a little buggy
  • planning around the crazy AI is much of the game's strategy right now
  • many controllers are having problems (360 controller is great, xbox one not so much, for example)

Still, where the rubber meets the road, this feels like a pretty great game, and I'm super excited about it.  I figured I'd leave a mention here since we're probably the target market.  Even with the problems, this is my current favorite Virtua Racing game, I'll even take it over the (fantastic) switch one.  So if you also like chasing online leaderboard times, this might be the game for you too. 

note: I also *love* the saturn virtua racing, so I hope this isn't one of those times my opinion is just way off the rest of the world.

On the up side:

• tons of online leaderboards (lap, track, overall progress)
  • it actually has music (granted it sounds more 80's than 90's but whatever, beats sega's)
  • almost totally nails the look
  • does nail the feel, while still somehow being slightly its own thing
  • harder than the switch one (which was way too easy)
  • 8 tracks, two game modes (three if counting practice)

Edited by Reaperman

I'm a little surprised there's not much interest in this.  Especially given how popular M2's new virtua racing on switch is.  There's also been a patch fixing many (all?) of the controller issues, so more people than us 360 users are now having fun.

For the last week I've been on top of the overall points leaderboards, but I'm ~20th on the individual track times, so I'm totally beatable in probably just two good days of playing this.  Also I greatly enjoy 'chasing' high scores, and it's getting cold at the top, hence my cheerleading here.  It's a long weekend, you know you guys want to do this.

In addition to 'arcade' mode the game boasts a unique 'eliminator' mode.  This isn't the usual 'last car is destroyed' mechanic one would expect, instead the player races up to tenth place (or hopefully better), and every lap the cars get faster until they're overtaking the player.  This makes it critical to know their crazy racing line--because they are coming, and they will hit you unless you know where not to be.  The game ends when the player crosses the finish line in 11th or lower.  It's not my favorite mode, but it's actually a nice change, and requires some extra thought.  A few of the tracks really aren't suited to it, unfortunately.  Also the AI starts missing corners after they get to a certain speed, so it gets a bit crazy with bits of broken car smashing all over the track.  I will say that part's pretty exciting, if unintended.

Below is a full race in 1080p/60fps I captured trying to replicate some gpu spikes during this specific stage.  I was unsuccessful in capturing that, but that's why there's a frame counter and system status overlay--this game probably runs on a potato, but I was getting some pretty good gpu spikes off of it, and there's no reason for that to have happened on this card.  Also, I doubt it's just my eyes, but especially on this level, the scenery doesn't seem to be maintaining the 60fps that the frame counter advertises. 

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 3

This looks great! I remember getting the 32X just for Virtua Racing Deluxe.

This looks like a Dreamcast version if SEGA made one for it. Thanks for sharing. 

Edited by Zeptari1
  • Thanks 1

Faster looking than 80's Overdrive at least was. That one didn't look like any faster than it looks when driving near the legal speed limit on an interstate. 

The music is lackluster. Needs some classic racing game music to go along with it.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 12:35 PM, Reaperman said:

I'm a little surprised there's not much interest in this.  Especially given how popular M2's new virtua racing on switch is.

If I'm honest, the game looks average at best. Just another half-hearted "retro" effort that doesn't understand what made the games it's based on great. Not worth my time.

And I second @Atariboy's opinion about the music. That doesn't do it any justice at all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Austin said:

If I'm honest, the game looks average at best. Just another half-hearted "retro" effort that doesn't understand what made the games it's based on great. Not worth my time.

And I second @Atariboy's opinion about the music. That doesn't do it any justice at all.

I feel this way as well. 

Been playing this one a while, actually got to 15th on the Global leaderboard at one point....

However, not gone back to it because....  If you manage to do 100+ laps and get a huge score... that will take an hour... to score more on that track, you have to beat your lap counter... I'm not sitting down and playing for an hour with the score set on 0 only to beat it by one lap, and score 3 points.

That is HUGELY flawed and unrewarding.

Also, after about 9 laps, the AI carts just leave you in the dust, and the only way you can stay competitive is to play demolition derby with the tail end of the pack.  

Great speed feeling

Great controls

Very much lacking replay

• Like 1