IGNORED

Synassembler 80 Collumns

Haven't tried, I use Mac/65 with the 64 column SDX driver. If Synassembler uses the standard E: device for it's screen display then it should work. ATR's are on Atarimania and a dozen other archival sites. Software has to be designed specifically for the XEP-80 (or hacked) to work with it. Any software driven 80 column like Omniview or SDX works fine without changes with any software that uses the E: handler.

Edited by Gunstar

19 hours ago, Eric Rousseau said:

Anyway to run Synapse Synassembler 4.0 in 64 ou 80 collumns ?

Software or usig XEP-80 ?

A working disk file (.ATR) would be appreciated...

Thanks !

Tried Synassembler Cart (green background, XL-version) on XEP80 and will not work with either Altirra's HighSpeed XEP80 drivers, or SDX's own.

Seems like the way E: or S: are handled / vectored makes the cart. incompatible with XEP80 drivers.

A pity because the XEP80 is turning out pretty useful for most console-oriented work, as long as you have the right video-path for it.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 2

On 5/16/2020 at 6:54 PM, Eric Rousseau said:

Anyway to run Synapse Synassembler 4.0 in 64 ou 80 collumns ?

Software or usig XEP-80 ?

A working disk file (.ATR) would be appreciated...

Thanks !

FYI:

Also gave another check to Assembler Editor, Mac/65 and Atari Macro Assembler (compiler) and they all work with XEP-80 (Altirra fast-driver).

It definitely seems Synassembler's vectoring of E: / S:what seems making the difference.

Synassembler appears to be calling the OS screen handler functions directly, completely bypassing the CIO (and presumably not even deriving the function address from the handler address table). So there is little hope of making it work with anything but the stock display without actually patching the cartridge. One would dismiss such methods as naive or hopelessly shortsighted were it not for the fact they were still practised by some to this day.

• Like 2

Ok, I think I will look at Mac65... 

If I am not wrong, it is a line assembler and reads source code line by line and is kinda slow...

But with Altirra this should not be a problem.

And I think I can make the source code a single file instead of splitting it in many files and use "include" in the asm process...

What i need in fact is:

16 mb disk image (SpartaDos or other 16mb dos)

64 or 80 collumns

Synassembler or other assembler

Single source file

Hex Out files in more than 40 columns...

This is until i will switch to windows eventually with a cross assembler.

I wish to work on my 68000 assembler that I made for the 800xl with a friend in the 80's...

It looks and feels like synassembler somehow...

Could anybody help me setup a 16 MB disk image containing MAC/65 and TurboBasic 1.5 ready to run in 80 columns using XEP-80 interface ?

I know there is some SpartaDos disk image with TurboBasic 1.5 online but I don't know if I can put everything on a single disk and avoid XEP-80 Driver conflict !

I have mounted my 68000 assembler on a 16 MB spartados 3.2g disk so far in 40 columns...

I like TurboBasic because it is fast and it has a DIR command.... I don't really need to use the compiler...

I think Altirra Basic has the dir command too, but does it run in 80 columns ?

I downloaded MAC/65 from Atarimania with docs 1.1 and 1.2 and will start to read them this week.

Any help appreciated.... thanks.

While MAC/65 is a line assembler, its use of tokenized source files means it is *very* fast.

Here's a 16MB SpartaDos partition with Avery's XEP80 driver for use in Altirra. I don't use it myself, so while it seems to work fine, it's not like I have exercised it much. I've also included a MAC/65 cartridge ROM image, you'll want to use that rather than a disk-based version.

One issue with MAC/65 under SpartaDos is you cannot assemble a file from disk, ie: ASM #D:TEST.M65 will fail with an error. You need to use the .INCLUDE feature to assemble large projects.

MAC65.atr MAC65.ROM

1 hour ago, Eric Rousseau said:

Could anybody help me setup a 16 MB disk image containing MAC/65 and TurboBasic 1.5 ready to run in 80 columns using XEP-80 interface ?

I know there is some SpartaDos disk image with TurboBasic 1.5 online but I don't know if I can put everything on a single disk and avoid XEP-80 Driver conflict !

I have mounted my 68000 assembler on a 16 MB spartados 3.2g disk so far in 40 columns...

I like TurboBasic because it is fast and it has a DIR command.... I don't really need to use the compiler...

I think Altirra Basic has the dir command too, but does it run in 80 columns ?

I downloaded MAC/65 from Atarimania with docs 1.1 and 1.2 and will start to read them this week.

Any help appreciated.... thanks.

Here: 

Scratchpad-SDX-SDrive_16MB.ATR

A partial (and structured) extract of my own arsenal, taking into account your specific requests. Consider making this image your "boot" image, so included .BAT files work as transparently as possible. You may also want to add "\SDXCACHE" path on your autoexec.bat, for even more transparency.

There's quite a bit of extra firepower in there, for your convenience. Special (soft-loadable versions of Basic and Assemblers, as well as different OS-loads, all dynamically loadable from SDX prompt via "X" command, in .REX format) are included, in case you don't have the carts around, or you wish to experiment with faster, high-performance OSes (all fully functional, and signed with proper checksums).

Also included (on the SDXCACHE folder) is a special / custom (high-speed) version of Avery's XEP80 driver (prepared by Avery himself) that launches in PAL-50 mode, thus vertically compressing UPPER-CASE fonts, and yielding in perfectly readable 80x24 set, as long as your video-path displays a minimum of 2x239 vertical lines, and FULL Antic/GTIA horizontal scan range. Please, invoke with "XEP80F.BAT" wrapper.

If you have any Qs, just compile them and will answer them tomorrow, Florida-time.

Have fun!

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...

Sorry for the delay guys... I will check all answers to my posts... and some other topics too ! Thanks for your support !

Will give you feedback as my projects progress...

So much fun re-using the old 800xl in Altirra, but so much frustration having to use line numbers in listings !

BEUARK ! So much pain....

I think I will take a look at the source code of Synapse and or MAC65 eventually to work with listings with no line numbers...

But of course, I can always switch to 6502 assembler on PC like Mads...