IGNORED

TI99Dir and network shares

1 hour ago, F.G. Kaal said:

my conclusion for now is: "special characters in file and directory names on a Linux system" .... DONT DO IT !! Gives a lot of unexpected trouble.

I don't know a way how Ti99Dir can know with what file system it is connected.

Well, what is strange is that for me, everything works properly if you run TI99Dir on Windows 7.    I can browse, copy, view, etc.  If I try from Win10, it all fails. So the only difference is where I am running TI99Dir.  Here's a screenshot from my Win7Pro laptop.  T: is my TIPI share.   Is there some sort of program setting, control, or otherwise that causes different behavior?    Is it really a Linux issue or a Windows issue..?

Here is a screenshot showing it does work w/Win7Pro

image.thumb.png.748c2b9aad0dcc0ba4fb632395a231f1.png

For the lols, try to escape a minus (hyphen). This is fun. (Or not. Don't. Hah, bad idea.)

About the special characters, yes, that is a problem. I do know very well about the advantages of direct file access versus disk images, but this is one point where disk images are, well, better, since their content is not subject to file name rules of various operating systems.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Yes you're right ... the trick is to escape the special characters. In putty I can do cd '!A' but I have not found a way in Ti99Dir to enter the same directory. I can enter it as \\tipi\tipi\TMP\'!A' this does not give an error but I just en up in the directory \\tipi\tipi but you're actually dealing with samba here.

Maybe somehow like this ?

\\tipi\tipi\TMP\'\!A'

Now try this version Ti99Dir v8.3b

Samba is solving the problems whith strange characters.

I first tried Total Commander to browse my \\tipi\tipi directory and that works just fine.

Then I tried a good old CMD window and just did a DIR \\tipi\tipi and found out that DIR \\tipi\tipi\#A give this result:

dir \\tipi\tipi\TMP\#A
 Volume in drive \\tipi\tipi is TIPI
 Volume Serial Number is C25A-C5B5

Directory of \\tipi\tipi\TMP\#A

08-02-2022  20:20               384 !README
09-02-2022  17:30    <DIR>          .
09-02-2022  17:12    <DIR>          ..
               1 File(s)            384 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  12.132.200.448 bytes free

and I noticed that the directory names . and .. are not the first names to appear in the list.

Now in Ti99Dir when entering a directory it is checked that \\tipi\tipi\!A is a directory and indeed it is. Than a \*.* is concatenated to the path and a findfirst is called for \\tipi\tipi\!A\*.*

"Normaly" the first thing to find is the . directory (\\tipi\tipi\!A\.) and that was again a test if we are realy entering a directory, but what poped up first  whas something else than a directory name so the reading was skipped whith an ERROR 5. I removed this test and everything else still seems to work fine (reading DSK and HD images and CF7A+ images etc).

I noticed that when copying a .DSK image to \\tipi\tipi\TMP directory that after a few moments this .DSK file was transfered to a directory. What a nice feature!

Let me know you results please ?

Ti99Dir-83b.zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, 9640News said:

Not knowing how your code is managed, etc., I also notice that if you select a directory from the menu bar, you can not back up to the previous directory from the program listing as the ".." option is not available.  Not sure if that was intentional, or some program design or limitation.

This is by design. You start Ti99Dir at some point in your whole directory structure of your (hard) disk where your TI files and images are located. If a user doesn't scatter TI files all over the hard disk there is no need to step back before that fence.

2 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Let me know you results please

It seems to be working well and even a bit faster to open the directories!  I can browse files starting with "!@#$", etc :)

When I try to download the ZIP via Windows 10, Microsoft Defender AntiVirus says the file is dangerous and does NOT let me save/download the ZIP.

I downloaded the ZIP with a Win7 machine, unzipped the file, and copied the executable to the Win10 machine.  I did not receive a warning when I ran the program.  I also scanned the program with no warnings, so maybe the ZIP file itself is creating a false signature?  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, atrax27407 said:

Select the "More info" tab in the upper left. Another tab will appear "Run Anyway" and you are good to go. Both Defender and Norton have options to "Run anyway".

Unfortunately, that is not an option; the ZIP file is immediately removed/deleted by Defender upon completion of the download, with a severe threat warning.

7 hours ago, F.G. Kaal said:

Samba is solving the problems whith strange characters.

I first tried Total Commander to browse my \\tipi\tipi directory and that works just fine.

Then I tried a good old CMD window and just did a DIR \\tipi\tipi and found out that DIR \\tipi\tipi\#A give this result:

dir \\tipi\tipi\TMP\#A
 Volume in drive \\tipi\tipi is TIPI
 Volume Serial Number is C25A-C5B5

Directory of \\tipi\tipi\TMP\#A

08-02-2022  20:20               384 !README
09-02-2022  17:30    <DIR>          .
09-02-2022  17:12    <DIR>          ..
               1 File(s)            384 bytes
               2 Dir(s)  12.132.200.448 bytes free

and I noticed that the directory names . and .. are not the first names to appear in the list.

Now in Ti99Dir when entering a directory it is checked that \\tipi\tipi\!A is a directory and indeed it is. Than a \*.* is concatenated to the path and a findfirst is called for \\tipi\tipi\!A\*.*

"Normaly" the first thing to find is the . directory (\\tipi\tipi\!A\.) and that was again a test if we are realy entering a directory, but what poped up first  whas something else than a directory name so the reading was skipped whith an ERROR 5. I removed this test and everything else still seems to work fine (reading DSK and HD images and CF7A+ images etc).

I noticed that when copying a .DSK image to \\tipi\tipi\TMP directory that after a few moments this .DSK file was transfered to a directory. What a nice feature!

Let me know you results please ?

Ti99Dir-83b.zip 186.19 kB · 11 downloads

Program looks good on my end thus far with testing.

Thanks for the update!!!!

Beery

6 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Unfortunately, that is not an option; the ZIP file is immediately removed/deleted by Defender upon completion of the download, with a severe threat warning.

I never check ZIPs or RARs since I nearly lost my big pile of collected "tools" decades ago

(so called grayware, I think, and some more ;) )

This happend when I switched to another provider/software, shortly after installation.

The files themself are checked when they are unpacked, whenever this happens.

ZIP files are my safe, for software, that M$ and other shameless giants do not want to exist :grin:

I do not let them override me.

6 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

You should be able to go into defender, look for the files that have been quarantined and restore whichever you wish.

Edited by RickyDean
spelling

1 hour ago, atrax27407 said:

Strange, Windows Defender didn't quarantine it immediately for me but gave me the option of "Run Anyway" when I downloaded it this afternoon.

Yea, it's weird.  I just tried downloading the ZIP again.  I get the message "Couldn't Download - Virus Detected", and in the protection log it shows "Trojan:Script/Wacatac.B!ml" "Status: Removed".  The entry indicates a Severe threat. 

Yea... this thread and others like it seem to agree:

Overly eager heuristics for Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml - Microsoft Community

I had to look in the notification area, click the Virus & Threat protection message, find the threat entry, click Actions, and select "Allow" before I was allowed to download. 

image.png.1b55c4921c4e11467a275172b309be2a.png

The behavior almost sounds like the infamous issue with opportunistic locks on SMB.

If your program expects to have exclusive and real-time access to the file, it needs to declare an oplock. (per MS standard procedures). Some implementations of SMB on windows do not want to declare oplocks, because oplocked files do not handle disruptions in network connectivity gracefully. (file handle becomes invalidated, et al--- such as when on WiFi, and it decides that it suddenly needs to associate with a different SSID, or your IP address changes because of DHCP lease expiration, etc.) 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/ifs/oplock-overview

^ for more info.

There are some registry entries that can be set to forcibly alter how windows uses oplocks over SMB shares. They might be useful for debugging this issue.

https://enercalc.com/pdf/ENERCALC_Network_File_Performance_Issues.pdf

(focuses on a specific database solution, but their database software has issues with oplocks, and the document gives info on the registry keys to disable them.)

It may be beneficial to not use opportunistic locking on opened files over SMB with Ti99Dir, and to not locally cache as a result.  (require a new file handle on every access request that becomes invalid again immediately after each IOP)  This is very inefficient from a network transport point of view, but may be needed to have the software behave itself in the face of network instabilities.

I would recommend testing with oplocks disabled, and seeing if the strange behavior goes away.

Edited by wierd_w

On 2/8/2022 at 1:10 PM, F.G. Kaal said:

Yes you're right ... the trick is to escape the special characters. In putty I can do cd '!A' but I have not found a way in Ti99Dir to enter the same directory. I can enter it as \\tipi\tipi\TMP\'!A' this does not give an error but I just en up in the directory \\tipi\tipi but you're actually dealing with samba here.

I was reading this:

https://www.tecmint.com/manage-linux-filenames-with-special-characters/

my conclusion for now is: "special characters in file and directory names on a Linux system" .... DONT DO IT !! Gives a lot of unexpected trouble.

I don't know a way how Ti99Dir can know with what file system it is connected.

Fred

Telling Samba to ignore case sensitivity and or, to use a specific codepage, are possible.

For instance, add these directives to the [global] section of smb.conf, and restart the samba daemon.

mangled names = no
case sensitive = no
dos charset = CP850
unix charset = UTF-8

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2022 at 10:43 AM, F.G. Kaal said:

This is working well for me.  One observation:

I extracted the executable into a new folder.  When I started TI99Dir, it created an .INI file that was missing many of the configuration sections.  I copied my old INI file into the new folder and all of the features worked properly.  The ZIP file only contains the executable so for anyone installing new, they should download the release from your site.  :)

• Like 1