IGNORED

Sega Genesis to Intv2/Sears controller adapter

I made a new controller adapter that converts Sega Genesis 3 button controller to Intellivision.  This one does not support Atari 2600, nor SMS, but it does support 4 buttons. Example: ABC could be mapped to the 3 Intv action buttons and Start could be mapped to whatever.  However I'm likely to never ship this thing as I can't find a source of high quality db9 cables.  Right now I throw away half the new db9 cables I buy.  Sometimes the cable fails in the field and then I need replace the cable and re-ship after the repair.  This costs time and money and hence its just not worth making/selling anything.  If someone knows of a source for New Old Stock high quality Sega Genesis extension cables let me know.  Otherwise I think I'm done. 

The Wico 6/12 foot ones worked great, but I can only find 3 on eBay and price would be around $15 per cable :(

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, grips03 said:

Could it be shaved down to fit into the Intv2?  That could be something the end-user could do so the added work isn't a factor on your end -  but let's hope the end user doesn't make a mistake :grumble:

But for the original consoles, this DB9 size isn't a concern once the adapter cables are installed into the console.  Assuming that the adapter cables are still something that can be purchased :dontknow:

Having the Intv1-to-DB9 adapter cables would offer the best flexibility, but another possibility would be that your sega-to-inty adapter could be purchased either with a DB9 end or an Inty1 end :five:

I have a "Super Cable" here, so will see if it cuts down nicely.  That might be the best solution.

My go to system is Intv1 with db9 ports added.  Everything just works with it.  I mount the ports in the front lower left corner.

That is how the CPLD is currently programmed, start button is the common Intv pause button.  This is how the Intv2 arcade controller is built as well.  I also might switch to a microcontroller for decoding 3 and 6 button controller.  My guess is this never comes out and I'm switching to more Jag projects as I don't have the time the deal with db9 issues.  Picture you make something that works well and then it all depends on a built to a price db9 cable.  For the current SMS,Atari/Gen adapter they take 4.5 hours to hand make one.  If you add in the time needed to deal with db9 cable stuff it just makes it so you don't want to keep doing it. 

So I tried to order a Wico 6ft. cable off eBay and guess what I get.....

A non-Wico that's 9 feet.  Oh the joy of eBay.

Edit: Seller refunded, so I guess that was good.  Maybe one day someone will run across a big box of Wico cables. 

or

Hopefully by next year someone makes a new high quality db9 cable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What I found for the past 7+ years of doing projects for Coleco and Intv is that the Retrobit, Console5, other new cables on ebay, etc. all comes from the same manufacturer in China.  Console5 sells them for the least amount, but they have all have the same quality (not good). 

• Like 1

I only buy Super Cable branded DB9 cables nowadays, by Innovation Technologies. There's 1 guy on eBay that sells them and I think they're NOS. They're a little more expensive, but well worth it, imo. I hate those retrobit cables with a passion.. The inconsistent pinouts/wire color just kills me. It definitely eats up time having to beep out every retrobit cable, making sure pinouts are correct.

• Like 1

Oh yes, I forgot about that part.  Console5 seems to get them same color now, but I still map each color wire to each pin just in case.  The worse is checking them over and over and then after everything is built then finding a pin/wire no longer works, then de-soldering and starting the process over.  Its just the worse.  For non Intv2 use always buy the Super Cable.  You will love that cable.