IGNORED

ATR Image Explorer - browser based disassembler for Atari .BAS, XEX, ATR and other files.

rossum

Really impressive!

But please, give him a break. I am programmer too and i know what it is to be filled with other things in life and special requests for particular project.

Things could seem simple to talk about and draw on paper, but to do something is completely different matter.

I guess he will update his tool regularly, applying requests of his choice. The code is open sourced, so you can adapt it as you wish.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, FULS said:

Hi,

Is there a way to do text editing on the Basic programs in the ATR,ATX,PRO files, and then do a "Save As LST".

Thanks,

Doug

Now with file editing including a popup keyboard for ATASCII weirdnesses

image.thumb.png.cc14e1df71b4e00f9a8575410c2acab2.png

Atascii in hex dumps & disassembly

image.png.91c54b2b8248d9a2e63bb49c9e364e13.png

14 hours ago, Gury said:

Really impressive!

But please, give him a break. I am programmer too and i know what it is to be filled with other things in life and special requests for particular project.

Things could seem simple to talk about and draw on paper, but to do something is completely different matter.

I guess he will update his tool regularly, applying requests of his choice. The code is open sourced, so you can adapt it as you wish.

Thx but am enjoying it so far. Been meaning to write something like this for 40 years; took a pandemic to find the time.

cheers

https://github.com/rossumur/esp_8_bit/blob/master/atr_image_explorer.htm

atr_image_explorer.htm

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Hi Rossum,

I think you and phaeron might be brothers.

How do you code so fast?

Thank you. I wish you would have had time in the past to code this. This is so useful.

How do you activate your popup keyboard? I couldn't get it to pop-out.

Also if/when you have time, could you add a Line Renumber option and a way to change the names of basic variables.

Just ignore me if I'm annoying you with all these requests, I'm just exited about your program.

Thanks,

Doug

2 hours ago, FULS said:

Hi Rossum,

I think you and phaeron might be brothers.

How do you code so fast?

Thank you. I wish you would have had time in the past to code this. This is so useful.

How do you activate your popup keyboard? I couldn't get it to pop-out.

Also if/when you have time, could you add a Line Renumber option and a way to change the names of basic variables.

Just ignore me if I'm annoying you with all these requests, I'm just exited about your program.

Thanks,

Doug

If you are in the text editor holding down the Option key will popup the keyboard under the mouse. Clicking on a character will insert it at the current insertion point.

cheers

3 hours ago, rossum said:

Atascii in hex dumps & disassembly

image.png.91c54b2b8248d9a2e63bb49c9e364e13.png

I liked this very much because it was a feature I wanted, but it has some problems:

- It seems that instead of using your great ATASCII canvas algorithm, you used an embedded Atari font, which it seem not to be 8x8 in size. There is border on top of it (unless it is something related to padding in CSS).

- I didn't get a clear ATASCII view of the file. It turned to be that the <strong> tag used in that column is bluring the fonts. When I added the "font-weight:normal" into the "pre strong" definition, I could get clear text.

BASIC listings were also changed to use this font instead of the canvas, with the same extra pixels on top of each line, but also with word wrap!!! 

About images, I dropped a random JPG file to test if the previous lock and memory dry was still present, but I got  surprise! Now, it understood that it actually was a JPG image and somehow converted it to GR.8 (dithered in black&white), scaling it to fit the 320x192 canvas, even when my JPG was a portrait document, filling with black zones at both sides of the image. The same happened when I dropped a PNG screenshot from my phone. Was that on purpose or by an "accident" because of the way that the drop zone works?

There is also a problem with "bad" ATRs. I dropped a corrupt/protected DOS disk and the tool refused to display its directory, which it is at sector 361 and it only has 4 entries (VTOC is at 360). I went directly to the HEX view, and I had to compute 360*128 to find that the start of the directory was at $B400. I don't know if there is an invalidating bit on each directory entry, the VTOC, or what that makes the tool to reject the ATR.

I think that, in case of non-DOS 2.0 compatible ATRs, it should use the sector view I got in some previous version of the tool. Probably a "Raw Sectors" mode should be great.

7 minutes ago, rossum said:

If you are in the text editor holding down the Option key will popup the keyboard under the mouse. Clicking on a character will insert it at the current insertion point.

cheers

If I press the "Alt" key (option?), I get the ATASCII table, but it moves along with the pointer, not allowing me to select any character other than "inverse video control-G" char.

BTW, I'm using Chrome in a Win10 box. Let me know if you need screenshots or the files I used in my tests.

++Vitoco

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vitoco said:

I liked this very much because it was a feature I wanted, but it has some problems:

- It seems that instead of using your great ATASCII canvas algorithm, you used an embedded Atari font, which it seem not to be 8x8 in size. There is border on top of it (unless it is something related to padding in CSS).

- I didn't get a clear ATASCII view of the file. It turned to be that the <strong> tag used in that column is bluring the fonts. When I added the "font-weight:normal" into the "pre strong" definition, I could get clear text.

BASIC listings were also changed to use this font instead of the canvas, with the same extra pixels on top of each line, but also with word wrap!!! 

About images, I dropped a random JPG file to test if the previous lock and memory dry was still present, but I got  surprise! Now, it understood that it actually was a JPG image and somehow converted it to GR.8 (dithered in black&white), scaling it to fit the 320x192 canvas, even when my JPG was a portrait document, filling with black zones at both sides of the image. The same happened when I dropped a PNG screenshot from my phone. Was that on purpose or by an "accident" because of the way that the drop zone works?

There is also a problem with "bad" ATRs. I dropped a corrupt/protected DOS disk and the tool refused to display its directory, which it is at sector 361 and it only has 4 entries (VTOC is at 360). I went directly to the HEX view, and I had to compute 360*128 to find that the start of the directory was at $B400. I don't know if there is an invalidating bit on each directory entry, the VTOC, or what that makes the tool to reject the ATR.

I think that, in case of non-DOS 2.0 compatible ATRs, it should use the sector view I got in some previous version of the tool. Probably a "Raw Sectors" mode should be great.

If I press the "Alt" key (option?), I get the ATASCII table, but it moves along with the pointer, not allowing me to select any character other than "inverse video control-G" char.

BTW, I'm using Chrome in a Win10 box. Let me know if you need screenshots or the files I used in my tests.

++Vitoco

would love the bad atr to debug, also any screenshot of bad behavior would be welcome.

Image stuff is no accident; try gr7,gr8,gr9,g10 etc. Goal is to support HIP,TIP etc with drag and drop of any image. wip.

cheers

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rossum said:

would love the bad atr to debug, also any screenshot of bad behavior would be welcome.

image.thumb.png.87299133333564d22a3ebe356b7c98eb.png

Highlighted in yellow are the ATR's file sizes. Only "test.atr" has the 16 bytes header, and that should be the reason for the behavior. I don't know if the tool also tested for other disk containers in this case. Those "bad" ATRs were recently downloaded from AtariMania as it was mentioned somewhere. The SP.bas BASIC program that I used to show the word wrapping problem was the one published in the thread where you introduced this tool for the first time ;-) 

image.png.6fdec985d1229f2e985cfd0325a8b88d.png

The HEX view is not completely readable because of the <strong> tag. Changing the "font-weight" atribute of the strong style inside <pre> tag to "normal" solved that issue. But both the extra background pixels in the font and the white lines between rows are still present.

The "Raw Sectors" view I mentioned in my last post was this mode when you click over the sector count in valid ATRs. I think that it should be selectable from the combo (without disassembling).

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 10:40 PM, vitoco said:

I figured it out(on Windows, anyways).  If you hold down the Right ALT(R-ALT) key, you'll get the ATASCII table, and it will move along with the pointer. You

can use that feature to place the table out of the way, so that the table isn't over the editor area. Once the table is where you want it on the screen, then while continuing to hold R-ALT, press and hold the R-Ctrl key as well. This will freeze the table in place and free the mouse pointer, allowing you to use the mouse to select your desired character.

Edited by TheRaven81
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, evilmoo said:

I know this isn't trivial, but being able to read SpartaDOS disks would be awfully handy.

Thanks in advance.

On 5/28/2020 at 5:45 AM, vitoco said:

image.thumb.png.87299133333564d22a3ebe356b7c98eb.png

Highlighted in yellow are the ATR's file sizes. Only "test.atr" has the 16 bytes header, and that should be the reason for the behavior. I don't know if the tool also tested for other disk containers in this case. Those "bad" ATRs were recently downloaded from AtariMania as it was mentioned somewhere. The SP.bas BASIC program that I used to show the word wrapping problem was the one published in the thread where you introduced this tool for the first time ;-) 

image.png.6fdec985d1229f2e985cfd0325a8b88d.png

The HEX view is not completely readable because of the <strong> tag. Changing the "font-weight" atribute of the strong style inside <pre> tag to "normal" solved that issue. But both the extra background pixels in the font and the white lines between rows are still present.

The "Raw Sectors" view I mentioned in my last post was this mode when you click over the sector count in valid ATRs. I think that it should be selectable from the combo (without disassembling).

Added:

SpartaDOS support including directories
Disassembly of code embedded in Basic Programs

Raw Sectors View
ARC Files and extraction
XFD Images

image.thumb.png.c7b2c751b192b36f59392b4e58c13a0c.png

image.thumb.png.3a0cedb0cf1e365379d479a5f98941b7.png

atr_image_explorer.htm

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

I'm becoming your worst nightmare... ?

Thanks for the nice improvements, but there are some new issues (and some old ones):

- The ATASCII view displays a single backquote instead of the diamond (normal $60 or inverse video $E0):

image.png.177c2ccff26a59223e98b9acbe4ba0ba.png

- The keyboard is a bit blurry compared to the text view.

- The keyboard fails to insert space when the cursor is at the left margin. Inverse video space is OK.

- The blurring (d)effect was removed in the HEX view, but I still see the extra blue top of fonts and the rows separators (in Chrome):

image.png.1adbaf4a01364f87a0e212b4d15f3a8e.png

- In HEX view, the diamond appears!!!! :-D 

- Even when the XEX structure analysis is OK, it appends an extra $00 char at the end. It seems to happen when both INITAD and RUNAD vectors are in the same code segment:

image.png.af23b7e9966a1ba44bd890d55557e77c.png

image.png.cb9f43ed4f1abb12a05a55a32979e87f.png

- I got an almost black GR.8 image when I dropped a random JPG file, there was no contrast between the 2 colors. When I picked another color for the 2nd square from the palette, I got the image, but it was not a 2-color image. I had 4 colors like in GR.7! So, two issues here... A third one should be to provide a GR.15 mode (160x192 in 4 colors). And a 4th one should be to allow to save as a real Atari image for the graphics mode being displayed instead of the source one, useful not only to convert advanced images to the atari, but to save Koala and other custom formats to 4K/8K raw data. ;-)

- Even when it was solved the ATASCII chars display problem in the listings, the automatic word wrap is still present. It does not emulate the Atari screen output.

- Unfortunately, it is not possible to select more than one row from the ATASCII panel to disassemble like in the listing view.

- The filetype displayed in the left panel for a file depends on the extension or the detected contents? An XFD dsk image with ATR extension is presented as ATR, and the same appears in the combo.

- When displaying a disk image, in the top of the listing, after the disk size, it might say which is the filesystem in use (DOS 2.0 or SpartaDOS compatibles, or other ones that could also be recognized).

- When you change to another file or drop or open another file, the dissassembly and keyboard popups should be automatically closed.

That's all for now...

Edited by vitoco
Added a couple of issues...
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, rossum said:

Added:

SpartaDOS support including directories
Disassembly of code embedded in Basic Programs

Raw Sectors View
ARC Files and extraction
XFD Images

These are all awesome!

But for some reason, it balks on the images here: 

Just playing around with this. Love this new feature of Disassembling Machine Language code in a Basic String.

1536416213_AtariDis.thumb.png.613eca272dce0a600cb3e794e97a57da.png

What a neat tool!!

One thing though is if the string selected is at the bottom of the page, the dialogue box isn't fully viewable.

764671852_AtariDis2.thumb.png.8b63c4d3dddfa5f0b716de283e90238e.png

Is there a way to move the box?

Thank You,

Doug

Edited by FULS

11 hours ago, FULS said:

Just playing around with this. Love this new feature of Disassembling Machine Language code in a Basic String.

1536416213_AtariDis.thumb.png.613eca272dce0a600cb3e794e97a57da.png

What a neat tool!!

One thing though is if the string selected is at the bottom of the page, the dialogue box isn't fully viewable.

764671852_AtariDis2.thumb.png.8b63c4d3dddfa5f0b716de283e90238e.png

Is there a way to move the box?

Thank You,

Doug

Added dragging to disassembly windows.

20 hours ago, evilmoo said:

These are all awesome!

But for some reason, it balks on the images here: 

Fixed.

Added Image Dithering, coloring and Saving:

image.thumb.png.8193b1a217542af86795c2dd84478b90.png

image.thumb.png.e60bd7a690f62189ea7ce4e31dd50a42.png

noir.gr7 t800.gr8 t800.gr7 gabby.gr7 desert.gr8 miler.gr8

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Roydea6 said:

Just which explorer is working the best with tool.  Control + H just brings up browser history for me.  I am using Chrome.

@rossum have you thought about converting this into an Electron app? Bulkier to be sure, but it removes some of the browser-to-browser variability issues.