IGNORED

Millie and Molly (Atari 7800)

mksmith

Millie and Molly 7800 is available for purchase in the AtariAge Store

image.thumb.jpeg.ce2c0b2ea60440ba8af165cb0c038869.jpeg

Atari Homebrew Awards Nomination

Millie and Molly 7800 has been voted runner-up in the Atari 7800 Best Homebrew category at the 3rd Annual Atari Homebrew Awards.

224427519_1703798500_3rdAnnualAtariHomebrewAwards(2020)-NominatedLaurels-Atari7800BestHomebrew.thumb-33.jpg.2c64c0a945f069f779ebf1b0c8745b19.jpg

*** PLAY THE DEMO ***

Final playable demo is now available in JS7800 (thanks @raz0red).

Reviews

Cousin Vinnie has given Millie & Molly the special treatment in his great review of the game!

Millie and Molly is a retro inspired puzzle game featuring 100 levels spread over five themed worlds. This is an Atari 7800 conversion of the Commodore 64 retro smash created by Carleton Handley.

image.thumb.png.4b89edac34074711a5831f1995e65f92.png

Background

I first saw this game on the Commodore 64 not long after it's release in early 2020. I thought it looked great, was really fun to play and had some unique features - all adding up to a very enjoyable experience.  The game is a platform puzzle game where you play grannies Millie and Molly (either separately or together) which starts off easy enough showing you how to dig through dirt, move blocks into position and kill monsters to complete each level.  But don't let that fool you as the puzzles are very well constructed leaving you scratching your head soon enough!

Special thanks

After completing a proof of concept, I made some initial contact with Carleton Handley in early March 2020 as we continued to develop, build and test the game until it was around 90% complete.  Carleton was very impressed with how well the game had come together, enough to suggest we contact his other team members Chun Wah Kong (level design), Saul Cross (graphics), and Hans Axelsson-Svala (music) to approve a release. We are very pleased to announce that each has given their blessing for our conversion to be released on cart.

Whilst we have had the pleasure to create this conversion we cannot thank each of them enough for designing such a brilliant, thoughtful and enjoyable game.  If you are a Commodore 64 user and have yet to play this game please support Carleton and the team by purchasing the original.

image.thumb.png.212300e9eb731b32aabea76bceac92fa.png

Instructions

Help Millie and Molly clear their world of the malicious monsters.

Monsters are killed by walking into them from the side.

Don't fret, Millie and Molly can't die!

They can fall from any height and even have items dropped onto their heads.

To help you get at those hard to reach monsters items can be pushed, ladders can be climbed and dirt can be dug through.

Millie and Molly can even use each other as platforms when they are in a level together 

image.thumb.png.a2658787463010b5cf7f34ca970a61b5.png

Features

• 100 original levels spread over 5 themed worlds
  • Rewind feature allowing you to step back and fix your mistakes
  • Multiple joystick controller support
  • Level passcodes and Atarivox/High Score Cart/SaveKey support (for tracking your current progression)
  • Graphics have been faithfully re-created and colored for the Atari 7800
  • 8 incredible pokey tunes re-creating the superb originals
  • Support for both NTSC and PAL users with matching palettes and music playback speed
  • Easter eggs!

Controls

• 1 or 2 button joystick/proline/joypad, SNES controller (via SNES2Atari) or the Mega Drive/Genesis controller (via Mega7800) in the left controller port
  • Button 1 to switch between the sisters
  • Hold Button 1 to rewind your mistakes
  • Button 2 or Pause toggles menu access

image.thumb.png.6c9b9ff65123be7a375a51fd18f53405.png

Credits

Original Design

• Code Carleton Handley
  • Puzzle Design Chun Wah Kong, Patsy Chim
  • Graphics Saul Cross
  • Music Hans Axelsson-Svala
  • QA @tonik_c64
  • Box Art & Layout Flemming Dupont & Bitmap Soft

Conversion

• Code Matthew Smith, Mike Saarna
  • Music Bobby Clark
  • QA Robert Tuccitto, Steve Ramirez
  • Box & Manual Layout William Thorup
  • AtariAge Albert Yarusso, Fred Quimby

image.thumb.png.ffaa5688277ec8108026274d22ce9bbc.png

Release

Millie and Molly 7800 will be available for purchase on cart at PRGE 2023 and here in the AtariAge store from November 2023.  

image.thumb.png.ebf9b78031f5b2dc42d16a18c8f79fe9.png

ZeroPage Homebrew streams featuring Millie and Molly

I would also like to thank James and Tanya @ZeroPage Homebrew for previewing Millie and Molly 7800.

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, AtariBrian said:

Great job. Will this cart be available at the Atariage store when it is done?

Hi - thanks! The team has done an awesome job!

I haven't spoken to Al about it just yet but we would love to have it released here through AtariAge ?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Karl G said:

That's awesome!  I'm glad it will be released, after all.  It will be an insta-buy for me, and one I suspect @mvo would find addictive.  How close is it to being release-ready?

Thanks Karl!  Yes we have very excited to be able to get approval from the team to release.

Apart from the rewind feature the game is now fully complete and could be released in it's current form.  I have an idea how we might be able to provide a small demo soon but the game is intended to be cart only at this stage.

1 minute ago, mksmith said:

Thanks Karl!  Yes we have very excited to be able to get approval from the team to release.

Apart from the rewind feature the game is now fully complete and could be released in it's current form.  I have an idea how we might be able to provide a small demo soon but the game is intended to be cart only at this stage.

I caught that it was a cart-only release, and that's fine. After watching it on ZPH, it's well worth getting a cart. That plus the fact that I don't have a multicart for the 7800 anyway. :-D

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KevinMos3 said:

I'm so excited for this.  You said it would be released tomorrow, right?  :lol:

Seriously amazing work.

Thank Kevin - as are we to share it!  

Haha - would love for that!  I have an idea how we might be able to provide a small demo soon but we'll see what happens!

Just now, Karl G said:

I caught that it was a cart-only release, and that's fine. After watching it on ZPH, it's well worth getting a cart. That plus the fact that I don't have a multicart for the 7800 anyway. :-D

Yes that is correct.  I'm in a same boat with no multi-cart so would be my first chance to play in real hardware too!

To be fair to Carleton and his team I said we only do cart only for the foreseeable future.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Synthpopalooza said:

Cart only ... also because current emulation cannot do the music justice.  :)

It was fun to work on and I can't wait to plop this cart into my 7800.

Thanks for your hard work on this Bobby - hope your feeling better!

1 hour ago, mksmith said:

Millie and Molly is a retro inspired puzzle game featuring 100 levels spread over five themed worlds. This is an Atari 7800 conversion of the Commodore 64 retro smash created by Carleton Handley.

I would also like to thank James and Tanya @ZeroPage Homebrew for previewing the game over the past few weeks. Really appreciate you allowing a 7800 game to preview on your show.

You're very welcome Matt and congratulations on the port being approved and going forward!! We've had a blast playing it on the show and I know that Tanya is looking forward to working through the rest of the levels we haven't tackled yet. ?

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

You're very welcome Matt and congratulations on the port being approved and going forward!! We've had a blast playing it on the show and I know that Tanya is looking forward to working through the rest of the levels we haven't tackled yet. ?

Thanks James ?

• Like 2

Would this be xm supported so I do not have to buy an expensive chip? Also cart only? Would be great with ym sound as would match the c64 version.  The game and sounds are great but I can hear a high pitch squealing in the music with pokey every 5 or 6 seconds. Other than that the music is great and that noise must be a limitation of the pokey chip. 

• Like 1

Just purchased and downloaded the c64 ROM... I like the game, but why no 2-player / 2-joystick mode? I also purchased the Eskimo Bob homebrew for the NES, which does have an option to work that way, and 2-player coop games where one person controls the active onscreen character at a time can be kind of fun, but in a relaxing way (as sometimes you are controlling the character, sometimes you can sit back and analyze the screen while the other person plays...) 

• Like 1

Looking forward to this Atari-7800 version of "Millie & Molly". I have the C64 version of the game and really like it. A great puzzler definately. When i look at the screenshots here, the Atari-7800 port will look as good as the C64 one, only the color-palettes looks a bit different logically. Good idea, to port this game to the Atari-7800. :thumbsup:

Edited by AW127
  • Like 3