IGNORED

Champ Games - RobotWar: 2684 (aka Robotron:2084), 2600

johnnywc

10 hours ago, Big Player said:

I've been playing this version until 3:00AM tonight.  What a great version of the game. It seems to capture pretty much everything from the arcade. The movement is so smooth and the controls are tight. 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, Big Player said:

I tried to take a screenshot with Stella but just got garbled text on five tries.  Do I need to change one of the settings on Stella? I had to take a picture with my phone.  I hope the file size isn't too big.

:idea:  You need to enable Phosphor effect (Alt-P) before taking the screen shot since the text is displayed using the 96-pixel interlaced routine (1/2 the text on alternating frames).  Hope that helps!

• Like 1

Robotron.thumb.jpg.0faa1ae7bee252a946818e370f8a6068.jpg

Alright! Played this last night and it was a lot of fun. Once I got over 1M points I gave it a rest though. Will try standard next. It might be good to add an extra digit to the high-score table. Scores over 1M might be harder to achieve on the final version, since the easiest waves won't loop and the brain waves will have proper cruise missiles, but with practice I suppose it would be possible. In the current demo I am able to farm lots of lives in the brain waves and can then keep going and going.

I like the two joystick control scheme the best. I just used two CX40 sticks. I held them down with the sides of my palms and worked the top of the sticks with my thumbs.

Did any one else notice your laser shots not appearing on the wave 9 screen? There were a couple of times I could hear the shots, but I couldn't see any laser bolts on screen. It was a bit disorienting each time that happened. Maybe I was firing into the wall? Hard to say since the wall is also invisible in wave 9.

I was thinking it would be really nice is if there was a way for people to be able to use the two joystick scheme and save scores without needing a Quadtari. Perhaps a prompt that says "Insert AtariVox/Savekey now to save score"?

Edited by spspspsp
  • Like 1

i have never played a game like this before- it is so very different than the reflex skills of most other vcs games.  It is much more modular.  Its very different set of reflexes and there are a million things going on at once and its a great conversion for sure.  The start menu is also fantastic, just like a real arcade

Edited by chewy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Fierodoug5 said:

Great demo so far. I 3d printed a simple dual cx40 holder and bolted it to a piece of particle board. Put some big rubber feet on it so it can't slide around.

IMG_20200518_212217.jpg

For the rest of us. 3M makes some great heavy duty double sided sticky tape. All you would have to do is stick the

joysticks to a board.

• Like 1

How do you play an ARM-supported game ROM on real hardware?   Is there an ARM flash cart?  I am very out-of-it with the 2600 scene. 
Yes, there is the Harmony and Harmony Encore which have support for ARM enabled games.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, spspspsp said:

Robotron.thumb.jpg.0faa1ae7bee252a946818e370f8a6068.jpg

Alright! Played this last night and it was a lot of fun. Once I got over 1M points I gave it a rest though. Will try standard next. It might be good to add an extra digit to the high-score table. Scores over 1M might be harder to achieve on the final version, since the easiest waves won't loop and the brain waves will have proper cruise missiles, but with practice I suppose it would be possible. In the current demo I am able to farm lots of lives in the brain waves and can then keep going and going.

Great score!  What do you mean by "add an extra digit"?  It already displays scores for 1 million + (it just hides the rank).  It will actually display up to 99,999,999 if you can get that high.

Novice is meant to be a bit easier than Standard and Advanced (all waves have 50% less enemies than Advanced and 25% less than Standard).  In the full version, of course it contains more enemies for waves 10 - 40 like the arcade, and starting at wave 41 in Novice the # of enemies increases to Standard level, and from wave 61 on the # increases to Advanced, so it will get much tougher.  I am currently working on adding in pursuit logic to the cruise missiles which will make the brain levels more challenging too. :D 

It should be noted that there is a bug in the current demo; in my haste the Advanced level incorrectly has 25% less enemies than it should.  I will post a new demo soon that has this fixed.

I like the two joystick control scheme the best. I just used two CX40 sticks. I held them down with the sides of my palms and worked the top of the sticks with my thumbs.

Agreed, 2 joysticks is the way to go!  I personally use 2 WICO ball joysticks. :)  

Did any one else notice your laser shots not appearing on the wave 9 screen? There were a couple of times I could hear the shots, but I couldn't see any laser bolts on screen. It was a bit disorienting each time that happened. Maybe I was firing into the wall? Hard to say since the wall is also invisible in wave 9.

Hmm, that's possible, especially if you're on the far left or far right of the screen.  Since the PF color is changed 2 twice on that line, it's possible that the PF color is black for a little bit before it switches over to the color of the grunts and electrodes (the timing isn't perfect).  The missiles are drawn with the PF and ball.  I'll take a look and see if I can recreate the issue.

I was thinking it would be really nice is if there was a way for people to be able to use the two joystick scheme and save scores without needing a Quadtari. Perhaps a prompt that says "Insert AtariVox/Savekey now to save score"?

I see your point; I can look into how this might be accomplished.  Thanks for the suggestions! :thumbsup: 

30 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

and starting at wave 41 in Novice the # of enemies increases to Standard level, and from wave 61 on the # increases to Advanced, so it will get much tougher.  I am currently working on adding in pursuit logic to the cruise missiles which will make the brain levels more challenging too. :D 

Ohh baby!  I've dedicated my playing to Advanced mode, but will have to go back to Novice and try to reach these higher levels.?

1 minute ago, sramirez2008 said:

Ohh baby!  I've dedicated my playing to Advanced mode, but will have to go back to Novice and try to reach these higher levels.?

:idea:  this is only for the full version since the demo version goes back to wave 5 after wave 9. ;) 

As a programmer familiar with the 2600's limitations, I'm very impressed by the display kernel.  Will you be writing up how the development of this occured?  What compromises you had to take against the original vision, what tests you did that gave you the impression it could work, etc.?

• Like 1