IGNORED

Champ Games - RobotWar: 2684 (aka Robotron:2084), 2600

johnnywc

2 minutes ago, chewy said:

so does this rom somehow have a way of bypassing the vcs cpu and provides its own?

Not exactly.  It is using an ARM processor to do a lot of the data processing and game logic, but that is done during vblank and overscan (when the screen is not being drawn).  The VCS still needs to draw the screen and is limited to 76 CPU cycles per line and can only use VCS registers (low resolution playfield, 2 player sprites, 2 missile sprites and 1 ball sprite).  So, in short, it is using both CPUs. :D 

• Thanks 1

Well I know that this isn't possible on the 2600, that's just common sense. So my logical conclusion is that John Champeau broke into my house (in the middle of a pandemic no less) and tinkered with the insides of my prized heavy sixer. How dare you break into my home... you could have just asked, I would have let you in.

This is seriously amazing. I have two insta-buys with ChampGames now... just waiting. Got them stimy dollas waiting for ya!

• Haha 1

(pursuant to post #34)

Re: not having a Quadtari, but wanting to use a Savekey or Atarivox to save high scores when using both joysticks... isn't there a potential risk hot swapping those peripherals in and out? Can sometimes be bad news with passive stuff like joysticks obviously, but would think there would be an even greater chance of damage with powered peripherals.

29 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Re: not having a Quadtari, but wanting to use a Savekey or Atarivox to save high scores when using both joysticks... isn't there a potential risk hot swapping those peripherals in and out? Can sometimes be bad news with passive stuff like joysticks obviously, but would think there would be an even greater chance of damage with powered peripherals.

I agree, I don't think inserting/removing a Savekey/Avox will be a viable solution.  ?  

Here is my video of Robotron 2084, absolutely had a blast playing it.  Also note the WIP I share is an update from the demo and shows beyond Wave 9

Also, make sure to play the video in 60fps.  

Edited by swlovinist
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, swlovinist said:

Here is my video of Robotron 2084, absolutely had a blast playing it.  Also note the WIP I share is an update from the demo and shows beyond Wave 9

Also, make sure to play the video in 60fps.  

I absolutely love what Champ Games has done!  I cant stop playing the demo :P  so excited about this game coming out!  I like that dual dpad controller you are using!  I plan on getting a Edladdin Super Twin to have arcade joysticks (and may make a custom overlay for it themed to Robotron :) )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Nice video!

I noticed a cheap death at the beginning of wave 10 - electrode in the middle of the screen. Probably need to fix that. ;) 

I can confirm that it’s happened to my son too. 

We can’t stop playing this game.

41 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

I noticed a cheap death at the beginning of wave 10 - electrode in the middle of the screen. Probably need to fix that. ;) 

37 minutes ago, sramirez2008 said:

I can confirm that it’s happened to my son too. 

33 minutes ago, Albert said:

Yeah, I saw that as well, definitely should not happen.  :)

I put that in on purpose to see who would watch the entire video.  Congratulations, you all passed the test!  ;)  

Seriously though; it look like this only happens on wave 10 with the larger electrodes so it probably has something to do with that.  I'll make sure it's fixed for the next demo! :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, johnnywc said:

I put that in on purpose to see who would watch the entire video.  Congratulations, you all passed the test!  ;)  

Seriously though; it look like this only happens on wave 10 with the larger electrodes so it probably has something to do with that.  I'll make sure it's fixed for the next demo! :D 

? ? ?

John, this really great! I've never played Robotron before so this is all new to me. Unfortunately, I'm no great gamer. I'll have to improve a lot as I haven't made it past level 3 yet. I'm only using a single joystick though...

This will be sacrilege for sure, but I was wondering how good this would play with 2 trackballs and autofire on? Might be a blast. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Omegamatrix said:

This will be sacrilege for sure, but I was wondering how good this would play with 2 trackballs and autofire on? Might be a blast. 

A trackball could work for movement but, as Cafeman said, it would be exhausting because you almost never want to stop firing.  Your fire will not harm the humans.   One time to stop would be if there is only one killable enemy left on the screen but still humans left to save.

Rolling the ball constantly would soon get tiring.  And there are times when you need to fire quickly in multiple directions.  I can't see that trackball handling that well.

But give it a try, maybe it will work for you.  With the Champ Games version, I found that I like reversing the controls and moving with my right hand.

Edited by Big Player
clean up the wording

1 hour ago, Omegamatrix said:

John, this really great! I've never played Robotron before so this is all new to me. Unfortunately, I'm no great gamer. I'll have to improve a lot as I haven't made it past level 3 yet. I'm only using a single joystick though...

ZOMG as someone who's put many hours in the arcade game, I laughed at the thought of using two Trak-Balls to play Robotron.  I just don't see that working well at all, Robotron requires snap and precise movements, and I think a Trak-Ball would just be way too sloppy for this.  But I'd love to watch a video of you trying to play it that way!  :D

..Al

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Albert said:

ZOMG as someone who's put many hours in the arcade game, I laughed at the thought of using two Trak-Balls to play Robotron.  I just don't see that working well at all, Robotron requires snap and precise movements, and I think a Trak-Ball would just be way too sloppy for this.  But I'd love to watch a video of you trying to play it that way!  :D

..Al

The real fun begins by playing two Robotron games at once... four Trak-Balls, both hands, and both feet.

• Haha 3

On 5/17/2020 at 3:08 PM, mmervine said:

Just gave this a try with my Robotron controller that Mike (RetroGameBoyz) made for me.  All I can say is awesome!  Amazing work from John and the team from Champ Games!

I suspect Mike (RetroGameBoyz) will soon see a spike in sales for this controller.

I have a couple Playstation controllers paired with the Mac mini that drives my TV.

IMG_0949D.thumb.jpg.78b25571f0f2a951d3a193c9c2501b06.jpg

I went into Stella and configured the right analog stick of controller 0 as joystick P1:

286538136_ScreenShot2020-05-21at11_54_15AM.thumb.png.979d960fc6ed9b92fe9ae5a7661e63fd.png

I can now play Robotron 2084 using both analog sticks, works great!

Now we just need to get @GroovyBee to resurrect his GB-XC1 Playstation controller interface so we can do this on real hardware!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

Now we just need to get @GroovyBee to resurrect his GB-XC1 Playstation controller interface so we can do this on real hardware!

Ohh, I missed this thread. Thank you Darrell.

I don’t normally play via emulation, but after watching Willie’s “Arcade USA” video, I did the same with our PS4 controllers and Stella. My younger son really got into playing Robotron this way.?

• Like 1