IGNORED

Champ Games - RobotWar: 2684 (aka Robotron:2084), 2600

johnnywc

• 4 weeks later...

QUADTARI WORLD DEBUT!

ZeroPage Homebrew has the EXCLUSIVE WIP UPDATE to RobotWar: 2684 for TWO PLAYER QUAD JOYSTICK ACTION using Nathan Tolbert's brand new four joystick adapter, the QuadTari on tomorrow's (Fri Feb 12, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

• 1 month later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing an Exclusive WIP Update of RobotWar: 2684 on tomorrow's (Tue Mar 23, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 4

On 3/28/2021 at 7:50 PM, sramirez2008 said:

This is an amazing home port, made all the more amazing by the QuadTari and brilliant co-op mode.  In addition, if your in need of a Joystick Coupler, I highly recommend the 3D printed model (below) by @amiman99

801E036E-D5FA-4DB4-9CC2-7561D88CA989.jpeg

Like the set-up! In regards to the coupler, does it stay in place on it's own or do you secure with something?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, McCallister said:

Like the set-up! In regards to the coupler, does it stay in place on it's own or do you secure with something?

I have an old laptop holder (holder sits on my lap) that I place the joystick coupler onto with double sided tape.  Works well.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 4:05 PM, Rally X said:

Hi all!

New to this thread. Recently downloaded the latest demo, and just love it! I’m wondering when will the finished version be available and how can I go about purchasing/downloading. Really want to try to 2 player co-op version!

Hello there!  We are currently doing final testing on the game and the artwork for the physical release is being reviewed (excellent work by David Exton) and we're hoping for a cartridge release in the AtariAge store in late May/early June.  A digital download option will be made available sometime in 2022.

Thanks in advance for your support!

• Like 10

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, AtariLeaf said:

Hello Just wondering if there has been an updated release date for the AA store. Really looking forward to this one. Thank you ☺️

Hi there!

I was just chatting with @Albert about this the other day, planning the Champ Games releases now that he's caught up with the pre-orders (thanks Al!).  To space things out a bit (and to NOT drive Al insane ;) ), we're pushing the RobotWar:2684 release to late August (maybe early September) and will release Gorf Arcade or Lady Bug Arcade in the fall/winter 2021 with the *other* game released in early 2022.

Thanks!

John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, johnnywc said:

Hi there!

I was just chatting with @Albert about this the other day, planning the Champ Games releases now that he's caught up with the pre-orders (thanks Al!).  To space things out a bit (and to NOT drive Al insane ;) ), we're pushing the RobotWar:2684 release to late August (maybe early September) and will release Gorf Arcade or Lady Bug Arcade in the fall/winter 2021 with the *other* game released in early 2022.

Thanks!

John

Perfect. Thanks for the response John ?

• Like 1

I know this is a niche request, and there's probably no room left in the ROM for it, but: was there any chance of supporting 90° rotation of controllers, such that Left = Up, Up = Right, and so on?

The NES version of Smash TV allows 2-gamepad play this way, and it works extremely well! Two SMS pads would do just fine for the same purpose on the Atari 2600.

If this has been implemented and I've just overlooked it, do pardon me. :) It's only that, much as I enjoy the 2-joystick play of the arcade Robotron, I don't have an equivalent joystick-based setup at home. I could scrape something together, but it'd never have the stability of a bespoke solution.

BTW the game looks spectacular, of course. :)

13 hours ago, thegoldenband said:

I know this is a niche request, and there's probably no room left in the ROM for it, but: was there any chance of supporting 90° rotation of controllers, such that Left = Up, Up = Right, and so on?

Why would you want that?

Anyway, if you play the game in Stella, you can adjust the mappings as you like. 

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Why would you want that?

If you are holding two gamepads, one on each hand, and only using the gamepads, it would probably be easier to hold them lengthwise instead of the normal orientation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

If you are holding two gamepads, one on each hand, and only using the gamepads, it would probably be easier to hold them lengthwise instead of the normal orientation.

Exactly right. As I mentioned, this is what Smash TV for NES does, allowing the player to move in one direction and shoot in another:

613124962_SmashTVmanualscreenshot.png.e2ffca3b307c858b8adc4409acc4c994.png

Smash TV is basically an updated Robotron in terms of its gameplay, and this control option works extremely well. The devs showed real foresight in including it!

ZeroPage Homebrew is played an Exclusive WIP Update to RobotWar: 2684 on tomorrow's (Tue Jul 13, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

AFTER DARK

(SET TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY!)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

ZeroPage Homebrew is played an Exclusive WIP Update to RobotWar: 2684 on tomorrow's (Tue Jul 13, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 1AM GMT+1Day! Hope everyone can watch!

Thanks James!  This is actually the release candidate (#5!) so if there are no bugs, this is the final version that will be included on the cart version that will be available in late August! ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, unebonnevie said:

Anyone knows how I would put this game onto a cartridge, so that I can play it on a real Atari 2600?  Thank you!

Hi there!

The physical cartridge with the full game will be released in the AtariAge store sometime in late August.  If you would like to test the demo ROM on a real Atari, you will need to copy the file to a Harmony or Harmony Encore multi-cart.

Hope that helps!

John

• Like 2

16 hours ago, johnnywc said:

The physical cartridge with the full game will be released in the AtariAge store sometime in late August.

Actually I've been meaning to ask, have you come up with a fixed schedule for how soon ROMS will become available on your store after a physical release?

Just curious; if you are still feeling it out or working through the details that's ok :)

28 minutes ago, Jstick said:

Actually I've been meaning to ask, have you come up with a fixed schedule for how soon ROMS will become available on your store after a physical release?

Just curious; if you are still feeling it out or working through the details that's ok :)

Hi there,

Good question!  We are working with Al to try to come up with a fixed schedule (6 months is what we're considering) so potential buyers have all the info needed to make an informed decision.  Since this is all fairly new, we're trying to determine the impact on physical cart sales (if any) so we can be mindful and sensitive to the investment Al makes up front to print a run of manuals/boxes/labels.  We're certainly open to changing the ROM release schedule as the trends/stats become available. 

Thanks,

John

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Hello all,

RobotWar:2684 is code-complete (yes, I promise Al ;) )and awaiting it's release in the AtariAge store in the next couple of weeks. 

In the meantime, here is a first look at the box and amazing artwork by David Exton: 

2600_RobotWar-2684_Render_Boxes.thumb.jpg.6ff0a2418a297bd626ddcdf756d8bc0f.jpg

A big thank you to everyone involved in the making of the game:

• @Nathan Strum for game design, graphics and testing.  As with all my projects, Nathan's initial feedback and quick turnaround with game sprites is always just enough inspiration for me to get a game to a playable state and move it from POC into the WIP basket. :thumbsup:   
  • David Exton @liveinabin for the amazing artwork for the box, manual and label. :o 
  • Steve Ramirez @sramirez2008 (and his son Chris :) ) for extensive testing, especially on co-op. :thumbsup:   Also, a shout out to my own son Joey who has spent countless hours playing co-op with his old man and providing valuable feedback, all while proving to be a formidable father-son duo vs. the Ramirez's. :D 
  • James, Tanya and the crew at @ZeroPage Homebrew for testing and game suggestions and for the "exclusive" reveals on the ZPH Twitch Stream (even if he has to decipher our crazy password schemes to play :P )
  • David Brown for the 7800 sounds (which we used in this version along with some new sound fx and the high score music done by none other than myself ;) :music: )
  • The CDF in CDFJ (Chris Walton @cd-w, Darrell Spice, Jr. @SpiceWare and Freq Quimby @batari) for their hard work and innovation that is constantly challenging Champ Games to push the 2600 to it's limits :cool: 
  • Last but not least, @Albert for all the work he puts into the physical release of the games on top of everything else he does for the Atari community. :D 

AtariAge and Champ Games will be posting more info on the game's release date as it becomes available!

Thanks,

John

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1