IGNORED

Champ Games - RobotWar: 2684 (aka Robotron:2084), 2600

johnnywc

28 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

@johnnywc

...so I was speaking with Eugene Jarvis

You win the internet today just by starting your post off with that. Mic drop. Peace out. Etc. ;) 

28 minutes ago, PacManPlus said:

So I pointed him to a youtube video of it being played, and this thread.  His exact quote was "Champ games 2600 Robotron is incredible.  Phenomenal version.  Hard to imagine how the 2600 could be this good!"

So there you have it, straight from the man himself. :)  Awesome work John!

Fantastic! Can't get any better than that! :D 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, PacManPlus said:

@johnnywc

...so I was speaking with Eugene Jarvis regarding my Defender port for the 7800, and I had mentioned to him that you ported this game to the 2600 (he's very familiar with the 2600).  The first words out of his mouth were 'NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!!"

So I pointed him to a youtube video of it being played, and this thread.  His exact quote was "Champ games 2600 Robotron is incredible.  Phenomenal version.  Hard to imagine how the 2600 could be this good!"

So there you have it, straight from the man himself. :)  Awesome work John!

Wow - thanks Bob!  This really made my day! :D  :thumbsup: 

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for making the game available for purchase! It works great on the Encore! It is incompatible with the old Harmony? I couldn't get it working right on that. 

Found this on the website:

*There has been reports of incompatibility due to a bug with older Harmony and Harmony Encore carts.  Please ensure that the RobotWar:2684 demo works on your Harmony cart before purchasing the full ROM.

That explains things. Encore is newer, but the regular Harmony is an older one. Good thing I tried the demo on the Encore first. Odd thing is that most of the other CDFJ games work fine on it.  

Edited by BrianC

9 hours ago, BrianC said:

Thanks for making the game available for purchase!

You're welcome!  

9 hours ago, BrianC said:

It works great on the Encore! It is incompatible with the old Harmony? I couldn't get it working right on that. 

Found this on the website:

*There has been reports of incompatibility due to a bug with older Harmony and Harmony Encore carts.  Please ensure that the RobotWar:2684 demo works on your Harmony cart before purchasing the full ROM.

That explains things. Encore is newer, but the regular Harmony is an older one. Good thing I tried the demo on the Encore first. Odd thing is that most of the other CDFJ games work fine on it.  

The reason RobotWar doesn't work on older Harmony carts (it should work on newer ones) is because there is a bug in a feature (MAM to be specific, which is used for caching memory requests I'm pretty sure) that RobotWar needs enabled because of the # of enemies it has to process (without it enabled the screen would roll).  So it's not specific to all CDFJ games (ZK, WoW, Galagon, etc. do not use this feature).  Hope that helps!

• Like 1

What are everyone's method of using two controllers with this game? I currently have have two CX40s taped to a bar stool lol but it's all I could think of for a temporary solution till I came up with something better. Wonder if you guys and gals could offer suggestions. I see a person on here makes 3D printed brackets, hmmm.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Prizrak said:

What are everyone's method of using two controllers with this game? I currently have have two CX40s taped to a bar stool lol but it's all I could think of for a temporary solution till I came up with something better. Wonder if you guys and gals could offer suggestions. I see a person on here makes 3D printed brackets, hmmm.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

This is how I play (Edladdin Super Twin 78 and CX10/40 custom controller holder).

16 hours ago, Prizrak said:

Hi there!

Cheapest solution for me was 2 Wico sticks, a piece of wood and a couple bungee cords: :D 

20210121_105751.thumb.jpg.46546fa6589cedf979e2b394fa6ba227.jpg

2nd cheapest is the 3D printed holder and 2 CX-40's:

20210121_105803.thumb.jpg.fe9155d1f7cbe0ffcd5e31f40d751cc1.jpg

If you like GamePads, RetroGameBoyz makes a cool RobotWar:2684-branded twin stick game pad:

275252804_916456879003683_3904917305719025693_n.thumb.jpg.2f27202d674a9d6bd63970f65843825e.jpg

And finally, as @sramirez2008 pointed out, there is the twin-stick Super Twin 78 Edladdin controller for the ultimate arcade experience!

Of course, you can always play with auto-fire and 1 button for a real challenge!  My son and I played a co-op game with 1 joystick each, auto-fire and managed to get 2 million points. :cool: 

Have fun and thanks for the support!

John

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
AtariAge Day 2022
THIS SATURDAY, LIVE on ZeroPage Homebrew

Saturday, May 21st 2022
12PM PT/3PM ET/7PM GMT

Join us for this year's AtariAge Day hosted by @ZeroPage Homebrew on Saturday, May 21st starting at 12PM PT to see the latest homebrew games for the Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, and Atari Jaguar, as well as live interviews with the developers who created all these great games. Make sure you don't miss this huge event and mark it on your calendars! All the newest games in the AtariAge Store will be unboxed and played during the interviews with developers!

1926777344_20220518-AtariAgeDay-Square-RobotWar.thumb.jpg.f288205166d4dcd0081c9c6bfe2ba1ee.jpg

Releases & Interviews

Atari 2600:
  • Doggone It (2600) by Andrew Pauley @Armscar Coder
  • Escape from the Castle (2600) by Eduardo Vilarinho
  • Game of the Bear (2600) by Vladimir Zuniga @vhzc
  • Hellway (2600) by Octavio Pinho Bokel @Octavio Pinho Bokel
  • LadyBug Arcade (2600) by John Champeau @johnnywc
  • Mr. Yo-Yo (2600) by David Marli @DaveM
  • Pitkat (2600) by Marco Johannes (MarcoJ) and Dyfed Hitchings (Jamtex)
  • RobotWar 2684 (2600) by John Champeau @johnnywc
  • Soul of the Beast (2600) by Michael Christophersson/ΛERIF°RM @flame
  • Unholy (2600) by Leonardo Santiago @Leonardo Santiago
Atari 5200:
  • Intellidiscs (5200) by Ryan Witmer @Ryan Witmer
Atari 7800:
  • Danger Zone (7800) by Lewis Hill @Muddyfunster
  • Dragon's Descent (7800) by Todd Furmanski @Revontuli
  • Knight Guy in Low-Res World – Castle Days (7800) by Vladimir Zuniga @vhzc
  • Wizard's Dungeon (7800) by BydoEmpire @BydoEmpire
Atari Jaguar:
  • Dr. Typo Collection (Jaguar) by Dr. Typo @DrTypo
  • Gravitic Mines (Jaguar) by Lawrence Staveley @CyranoJ and and Ander Lex @agradeneu
  • Like 2

• 6 months later...

Anyone playing the demo of this game on the Stella version of RetroArch? I'm trying to figure out how to setup dual sticks.

I assume one thing to do is map both controller ports to be the same controller. However, I can't figure out the right combination to have both sticks working. Not sure if anyone has figure this out.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got a chance to play this yesterday with a friend.  This game is phenomenal!  We had a blast playing the co-op mode and seeing how far we could get.  With so much action going on we adopted a strategy of going to opposite sides of the screen to keep from getting mixed up on which character we were playing.

There's just something about the 2600 that modern consoles can't match.  It's probably just nostalgia, but the look and feel of the carts mixed with the anticipation when you first slide a new game in and flip the switch is fun.  Now days when I slide the disk in I get a feeling of dread wondering how long the download to fix the game will be.

We used the Quadtari for the first time and a couple of the custom pads from RetroGameBoyz.

• Like 4

On 12/19/2022 at 9:33 AM, Atari_Warlord said:

I finally got a chance to play this yesterday with a friend.  This game is phenomenal! 

Thanks for the kind words, we're glad you're enjoying the game!

We had a blast playing the co-op mode and seeing how far we could get.  With so much action going on we adopted a strategy of going to opposite sides of the screen to keep from getting mixed up on which character we were playing.

Co-op is my favorite mode too; my son and I play whenever he's home visiting from college.  We do the same; pick a side and only cross paths if you need to rescue one another. :D 

There's just something about the 2600 that modern consoles can't match.  It's probably just nostalgia, but the look and feel of the carts mixed with the anticipation when you first slide a new game in and flip the switch is fun.  Now days when I slide the disk in I get a feeling of dread wondering how long the download to fix the game will be.

This is precisely why I still play (and make games) for the ol' 2600.  Modern consoles and games just can't duplicate the experience.  The 'no wait' is a huge reason too; pop in a cartridge and you're playing within seconds! :thumbsup: 

We used the Quadtari for the first time and a couple of the custom pads from RetroGameBoyz.

Glad you're getting good use out of the Quadtari! :thumbsup:  We have the same setup except we used dual Wicos bungy-chorded to a plank of wood for one player and two CX-40's in a 3D printed joystick coupler for the other.

That is, until my brother put two of these together for me: :D  

20221014_184307.thumb.jpg.9a18d673e45b6d661c17a2682626b4b3.jpg

This was the setup we had for RobotWar:2684 at PRGE this year. :)  

Thanks again and have fun!

John

• Like 3

On 12/16/2022 at 4:58 AM, Jetboot Jack said:

In standalone Stella not the Retroarch core - I have setup keyboard controls for the two "joysticks" and then in Xpadder I map those to the L and R sticks of an XBOX controller...

sTeVE

Thank you for this information! I just purchased the ROM for RobotWar from CHAMP Games and the two joystick setup that you can do with the Stella emulator under Options-> Game properties, with the game selected, is a definite game changer!

You can also use the open source AntiMicroX for free to setup your controller. It works with both Windows and Linux; I only tested the Windows version.

BTW, thank you Champ Games, I'm having a "blast" with Robot Wars!!! 😄

Edited by atwwong
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, CrazedAnimal said:

Does purchasing the Robotwar cartridge give access to the full downloadable ROM? Or would I need to purchase both if I want both? What a game!!!

Hi there!

I'm glad you're enjoying RobotWar:2684! :thumbsup:  

Champ Games offers a 50% discount on the ROM if you purchase the cart of any of our games from AtariAge.  You can check out the details on our Promotions page; basically you just need to show proof of purchase from AtariAge and we'll send you a coupon code to use in our store.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,

John

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

This is a great port! I've been playing the demo rom so far and loving it. I do have one problem though. Has anyone gotten a dual stick game pad (like and 8bitdo) to work correctly in stella with this game? I can get the left stick working as joystick one, but i've tried everything to get the right analog stick to function as joystick 2 and am having no luck.

I've gotten 5200 and 7800 robotron to work with dual stick gamepads but not this game.

• Like 1