IGNORED

800/Incognito PBI-extender and... weird shields...

Faicuai

Well, been working lately on exploring Incognito's PBI via its 50-pin IDC connector. Only PBI (and VERY nice) device available is my SysCheck-II copy, but it connects with 50-pin CardEdge connector, to XL PBI bus.

So eventually built an adapter, that looks like this (for universal operation in 800XL and 800/Incognito):

60487D03-8872-40AD-B1A0-017967940A22.thumb.jpeg.372af5435aa7959db951aa4a0ee52d97.jpeg

C35A3F5A-56F8-45DB-9A9F-300ADB396C61.thumb.jpeg.ec98782e950f45ee268a5153b36648d3.jpeg

But, MOST IMPORTANTLY, also fine-tuned a machine-cut adaptation to the top-cover's under-shield panel (which is fully modular and detachable). Now we can comfortably extract the ribbon (and even Bit3's video out) through the 800's back with ZERO modifications to top-cover's plastic case itself, and minimal or negligible structural stress (there are four plastic-posts where the top-shield cover attaches to the plastic-cover, and could fracture if over-stressed due to misalignment between shield-cover and shield-frame):

7682DD30-0289-494C-8BDE-74612768DE10.thumb.jpeg.3b7da3aa4e2de7df6364b123646f2090.jpeg

A testament to the 800's tolerant and flexible design. 

But what REALLY caught my attention during machining (precise-cutting) my "trainer" cover's top shield (from an older 800) was what I found:

BA1AE908-4C21-4638-BB30-F3B67EC98810.thumb.jpeg.c077b599da907252133ddb5cec0f9784.jpeg

LEFT is my 800's (USA-made) '83 cover and the right is what came off during machine-cutting my '80-'81 trainer: a DOUBLE-LAMINATE (compound) top-shield (!!!) What's is left attached is the cleaned, primary layer, and what's detached was the crap that came-off after precise-cutting...

Holy-crap... that's shielding taken way too far, I guess...

BTW: to effectively clean all GUNK residue (even from the front-side shield plate), all you need is GOO-GONE and a couple of wooden tooth-picks.. Just plenty of goo-gone and a bit of patience, and you will end up with spot-less plastics, with zero damage to factory finish.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, evilmoo said:

Not to derail your thread, but where did you get the parts to build that cable?  Did you scavenge them or order them from somewhere?

All made from scratch, and on-line parts.

The hardest part is the male (50-pin) card-edge, solder-through, breakout terminal. That I had to machine-cut from a larger board that I finally found on-line as well, after looking for SoOoOo long...

It is now possible to connect legacy PBI HW directly to the 800/Incognito with this extender (and keep the top-cover safe-and-sound). Even the 1090 Frankenstein-box should be no problem, assuming no PBI issues on Incognito...

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Stephen said:

Me thinks perhaps you should whip up a small batch for sale.

Though about it, already, as it is kind of hard to make these.

Vendor ran out of 50-pin EDGE break-out boards, but a new lot has been ordered (it will take a while due to corona-crap, unfortunately). Will pay close attention to costs, as I have to sacrifice a slightly larger board, for each adapter made. 

Meanwhile, I will try to come up with final / optimal length (and testing for integrity / reliability) and see if we can make a limited prod. run, for those users that have 800 / Incognito, and would like to lock-and-load their on-board PBI facilities... ;-)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

Though about it, already, as it is kind of hard to make these.

Vendor ran out of 50-pin EDGE break-out boards, but a new lot has been ordered (it will take a while due to corona-crap, unfortunately). Will pay close attention to costs, as I have to sacrifice a slightly larger board, for each adapter made. 

Meanwhile, I will try to come up with final / optimal length (and testing for integrity / reliability) and see if we can make a limited prod. run, for those users that have 800 / Incognito, and would like to lock-and-load their on-board PBI facilities... ;-)

Cool, I'd be interested in one.  At least it'll be an easy install, where you just lift the lid, plug it in and put the lid back down.  As for that, now I have the SCCC to put in...