IGNORED

TIPI/32K in the Speech Synthesizer Enclosure (REVIEW)

Omega-TI

As I arrived home from work today, I found a package from @J-Data in my mailbox!  It was the new TIPI/32K unit that goes in the Speech Synthesizer case.

Being that I'm not one for waiting, I simply had to hook it up without delay.  So I attached the blue wire to the RPi ZERO W, installed it in the speech box, plugged it in to the TI, and waited a minute for the RPi to boot then typed CALL TIPI...  and up it came!  It works!  Now being that I don't have all my programs on the SD card yet, I had fall back and do a few things from square one, that is drop to TI basic and type:  CALL TIPI ("TIPI.NET.TELNET")  to log into Heatwave BBS, leave a message and log off.  

This thing is GREAT!  I do NOT need any external power cables to supply power to the TIPI or the RPi Zero W... the TI supplies all the power.  So this is one compact little unit that packs all the power of the original versions of the TIPI, but in a more compact space.  I will note that in this configuration it is necessary to shut down the TIPI before turning off the console.  It does have a provision to use external power to keep it running 24/7 if one wants, but this is for my portable TI so I'm leaving mine as I have it now.

For those that are space limited, like Nano-PEB users, this thing is awesome and can easily be a replacement for that older device.  Because it's WiFI it's easy to load programs onto, "Look Ma, no cables!"  If you are familiar with the TIPI, I don't need to go into all that it can do, but having this thing in one wireless, cordless self-contained unit is the bomb!

I can see these things showing up at user group meetings since they are so portable and small.   I'm glad I got this unit.  If you've not gotten a TIPI yet, this thing is a great way to go and if you have an unmodifed P-Box and want to keep it stock, you can always plug it into this thing as it has the connector on the side.

• Like 8

Glad to hear you're enjoying this project it as much as I am.  I'm adopting your naming idea (TIPI-32K), just need to figure out how to make black on metallic labels.  White will just have to do for now.

20200518_181738.thumb.jpg.68456c36ca88a12e96f89af792585eb8.jpg

Did the wireless mouse adapter work for you?

31 minutes ago, J-Data said:

Glad to hear you're enjoying this project it as much as I am.  I'm adopting you naming idea (TIPI-32K), just need to figure out how to make black on metallic labels.  White will just have to do for now.

Did the wireless mouse adapter work for you?

Oh boy am I ever enjoying it! ?

One could use metallic tape with a clear label with black print on top of that.  In my case I chose to mask off the top of the case and use steel wool to remove the "speech synthesizer" text.  I then used my computer's Dymo label maker to print up a transparent label and attached it to the area were I removed the text.

CLEAR.thumb.JPG.41a08bd12d5f8e7a55f138d0a44c8e20.JPG

As for the the mouse adapter, not yet.  I do have a mouse on order, but it's not due to arrive until June 2nd.  I did have a spare USB mouse dongle laying around, but apparently it was not for a mouse I currently have anymore.

Adapter.thumb.JPG.c3b85551d5510477044f1248b95d9ec2.JPG

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Okay... I don't have a TIPi yet, but damn does this look slick. TIPI and 32K inside of a working speech synthesizer? (and I have a gorgeous speech synthesizer) ...how much??

its not a working speech synth, its just the shell.. its a board that replaces the speech board

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, save2600 said:

TIPI and 32K inside of a working speech synthesizer?

Sorry to disappoint, but I had to removed the speech synthesizer PCB and replace it with the new TIPI-32k board.  The good news is you can still plug a speech the speech synthesizer into this TIPI. 

Cost is probably an @arcadeshopper question, but I'm hoping the full set-up will end up being a lot less than a regular TIPI, plus sidecar 32K, plus Pi 3B.  Low cost and small size, but with modest performance (with the Pi ZeroW). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Now I can connect to HEATWAVE.DDNS.NET using my TI from ANYWHERE!

Using my cellphone as a hot spot, the self-contained TIPI/32K plugged into the TI, with a monitor and portable power supply will work from any picnic table anywhere.

Why?  Because I can!  ?

HOTSPOT.thumb.jpg.f760bd77796b850e7e5a91867a0bba5e.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, jrhodes said:

If you use this TIPI/32K with a speech synth, which is the proper hook up order?:

A.) console > TIPI/32K > speech

B.) console > speech > TIPI/32K

I've not done it yet, but my guess would be A. (unless you've modified the speech synthesizer with the power modification), then I doubt it would matter.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, J-Data said:

Cost is probably an @arcadeshopper question, but I'm hoping the full set-up will end up being a lot less than a regular TIPI, plus sidecar 32K, plus Pi 3B.  Low cost and small size, but with modest performance (with the Pi ZeroW). 

If you are simply addressing cost, even there may be some advantages right out of the gate over the Nano-PEB and the original TIPI configuration.

NANO

1) Many computers these days do not support CF cards, so there would be no need to purchase a CF card reader.

2) "Compatible" CF cards are getting harder to find.

3) Since the TIPI/32K is WiFi there is no need to purchase additional cables or a USB to serial adapter to transfer data to and from a PC.

4) No need to purchase an additional wall-wart power supply (if you want it to take power from the TI).

Sure, the Pi Zero W is modest, but it still seems to operate faster than a standard floppy controller.  About the only thing that may be an issue to some is that it takes a little longer to update the firmware, but that really does not seem like a big deal me, especially when you don't do that every day or week.

Original TIPI Configuration

1) Size and ease of portability.

2) No need for external power supply(s).  The original system needs two power supplies, one for the TIPI & 32K and another for the RPi (if using an RPi 3 or 4).

3) No wires going from the TIPI and 32K sidecar assembly to the RPi 3 or 4.

21 hours ago, J-Data said:

... just need to figure out how to make black on metallic labels.  White will just have to do for now.

No, white will NOT do!  I'll mail out a couple of silver and a couple of black on transparent labels for you tomorrow.  You can choose which one you want to use.

Stickers.thumb.PNG.3621a91cf8e950f64c53e19f533691af.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, INVISIBLE said:

If you are simply addressing cost, even there may be some advantages right out of the gate over the Nano-PEB and the original TIPI configuration.

NANO

1) Many computers these days do not support CF cards, so there would be no need to purchase a CF card reader.

2) "Compatible" CF cards are getting harder to find.

3) Since the TIPI/32K is WiFi there is no need to purchase additional cables or a USB to serial adapter to transfer data to and from a PC.

4) No need to purchase an additional wall-wart power supply (if you want it to take power from the TI).

Sure, the Pi Zero W is modest, but it still seems to operate faster than a standard floppy controller.  About the only thing that may be an issue to some is that it takes a little longer to update the firmware, but that really does not seem like a big deal me, especially when you don't do that every day or week.

Original TIPI Configuration

1) Size and ease of portability.

2) No need for external power supply(s).  The original system needs two power supplies, one for the TIPI & 32K and another for the RPi (if using an RPi 3 or 4).

3) No wires going from the TIPI and 32K sidecar assembly to the RPi 3 or 4.

The original TIPI can also use the sams sidecar for 1mb rather than just 32k..  don't forget.. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

The original TIPI can also use the sams sidecar for 1mb rather than just 32k..  don't forget.. 

Very true that!  if someone wanted to go with a SAMS, in a side-car arrangement that would be the ONLY solution that I know of.  Good reminder.  In this case I was only addressing cost for semi-comparable choices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

I'm almost certain this TIPI can be made work with an external SAMS card, just need to plug the SAMS into the expansion out port of the TIPI (right side), and disable the internal 32K RAM.  This can be done using Matt's standard TIPI CPLD JEDEC file rather than my one-off CPLD version.  All I need is my SAMS card delivered so I can test it (hint, hint).  I've already tested this with an external 32K RAM this way and it works fine. 

I can make an update to the CPLD to disable the RAM when two jumpers are placed on the CRUBASE header rather than just one.  The CRU addressing logic ignores the second jumper, but the RAM enable logic can trigger off this and disable the RAM.  A very simple change.  

That said, I'd assume most SAMS users would really want the full TIPI with a P1 3B and wired Ethernet anyway.  This TIPI might be more appropriate for the minimal set-up where small size and minimal cabling is the main goal. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, J-Data said:

... where small size and minimal cabling is the main goal. 

The Holy Grail!  Compared to early 80's technology, we've eliminated a lot of cables!  Just to get online and transfer programs to and from my PC the TIPI eliminated all of this from my system... and it's all getting smaller...

Cables.thumb.jpg.cec971d368f416caa6b827f7529c2ab5.jpg

... now it's all in a teeny tiny speech synthesizer case!  (expletive deleted) amazing!

• Like 1

Ok got mine set up.. biggest problem so far is remembering not to turn off the console!!! As the pi needs to be shut down properly before or it's going to get corrupted...

Finally figured out something to do with the skudgy speech synthesizer i got recently :)f4ec5f5c9d0133b98663d49271c5230a.jpg1e2522bdf7c303c0b940d8fc6aa4b490.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Ok got mine set up.. biggest problem so far is remembering not to turn off the console!!! 

Yeah, I get that.  The reset button on the FG99 comes in handy if you don't already have a reset button on the TI or an external keyboard with the reset mod.

I'm using 4A/DOS with it and have option 9 setup to easily go to the TIPI screen to H)alt the Pi.

If someone was going to run this unit as their main home system, I'd suggest they feed the power 24/7 via an external power supply.  In my case this is strictly for portable use so I'll be careful not to turn it off to clear the screen if anything goes bonkers.

P.S. I'd take some steel wool to the aluminum on the speech synthesizer and dress it up a little.

BATCH FILE.pdf

• Like 2

Got 5 more populated V1 TIPI-32K boards from the board house this afternoon. 

20200520_123605.thumb.jpg.6e1ca0aecc76398b0af7260953d097ab.jpg

They're working as expected, so this version may be good good for production if there's interest.  

20200520_210126.thumb.jpg.b45c7a53ad62fdcf98d653b7f01e64f1.jpg

Agreed on using a FinalGROM99 if only for the reset button.  I've shut down from the TIPI web interface and  SSH a few times since I didn't have the reset button and the program wasn't letting me get back to the start screen.  Makes a good case for powering the PI externally if you can live with one wire.  Never need to worry about shutting down the PI, but you loose the whole wireless trick.

Running the 32K memory burn-in test on a few more units now.  So far, the Alliance memory has been flawless, which should save ~$3 off the BOM cost.  

• Like 6