IGNORED

TIPI/32K in the Speech Synthesizer Enclosure (REVIEW)

Omega-TI

59 minutes ago, aftyde said:

Take my money!!!  :)  How, when - now, or wait for production run.  Pretty neat!  To quote JR Hadden - why have one when you can have two at twice the price!

Yes, and the I can guarantee these TIPI/32K's will be cheaper than machines that open up a worm holes for interstellar travel!

I'll be filming an "on the road type video featuring this gadget in the next week or two.  Anyway I'm wanting to show off all the features, one of which is the wireless mouse as I'm on the Internet with Stuart's Internet Browser, so anyone have a cool URL I can use as an example?

On 5/20/2020 at 3:29 PM, gpaJeb said:

have wondered if you could make a RS232 board for a speech case?

I was thinking the same thing, and that would be a fun project.  I’ll bet someone already thought about adding RS-232 to TIPI, or doing a TIPI like design for serial, but if it were easy, it would be done by now.  Maybe thats the next project.

On 5/21/2020 at 5:58 AM, aftyde said:

Take my money!!!  :)

Sounds like there’s some interest in a production run of this TIPI.  I’ll see if I can work something out with @arcadeshopper with the goal of keep the assembly time quick and the price very reasonable.  Having the boards come in with the SMT parts already placed goes a long way towards both.  

• Like 2

I was thinking the same thing, and that would be a fun project.  I’ll bet someone already thought about adding RS-232 to TIPI, or doing a TIPI like design for serial, but if it were easy, it would be done by now.  Maybe thats the next project.

Glad you liked my ideal.  Remember that TI made stand alone RS232, may have had a PIO too.

I remember Some one made a interface card that plugged into the side of the console and you could

plug your rs232 card or ti Disk controller or 32k card, alas it could only use one card.

maybe it would help you

And again yes I would like one !

Edited by gpaJeb
add

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

I really fail to see what you need rs232 for when a TIPI is there. If you need to access a serial device the pi can easily add a USB rs232

While it's interesting, I tend to agree.  It makes me curious though since the TIPI already supports a USB mouse, when you say, "easily add" does that mean the TIPI software does not currently support that option?  While I can envision someone maybe wanting to install a dial up style modem to call a landline BBS, and I personally would never use it, it would make the TIPI more things to more people.  Another possible solution to a landline scenario could be an APP for a cellphone that would handle all the necessary I/O, but even then, I wonder how much use it would actually get. 

It's nice to see people thinking up new applications for the TIPI.  I'm amazed that the TIPI does so much already, but who knows what the next couple of years will bring.  One of the most enjoyable things about this hobby (for me) is to see all the new things people think up... then actually implement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

I really fail to see what you need rs232 for when a TIPI is there. If you need to access a serial device the pi can easily add a USB rs232

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

No one needs, they just want.. They want to run the 300 baud acoustic coupler modem over their VOIP system. 

Maybe the PI should play a recording of a 2400bps dialup whenever an outbound socket is opened up by the TI? 

I'm just teasing... 

@arcadeshopper is right though, if you want to do something new and interesting with serial, then add a serial bridge program to the PI, and plug a USB adapter in... hit that serial device like a socket with the existing TIPI socket interface on the 4A. 

If you want to do something old, well, then old hardware is the best way to do that.

• Like 3

@arcadeshopper has been kind enough to sell the TIPI/32K on his web store.  The first three should be available next week, and the next batch a week or two later.  You can find the posting here:

https://arcadeshopper.com/wp#!/Combo-32k-TIPI-pcb/p/202179717/category=0

Options are getting just the TIPI/32K board (with the specific Pi board to board connector included), or adding the Raspberry Pi zeroW with board to board connection installed, or adding an SD card pre-loaded with the TIPI image.  Looks like he also has a 3D printed case designed, if you don't have or can't find a speech synthesizer housing.  So, basically a complete package, just plug it in.  

Looking forward to seeing more of these out in the community.  

• Like 2

Yes, [mention=25753]Vorticon[/mention] designed a speech synthesizer box for the speech HERE >> but it does not look tall enough to for the RPi Zero W.  Is there another design that I don't know about that I can add to the 3D Printed Files Listing >> ?
I'll check it out and make adjustments if needed

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

As usual go ahead and load up tinkercad and knock yourself out nobody's stopping you from designing it

HA!  Only a suggestion for those who may need/want one or care to sell such a thing.  I personally have no use for such a thing.

TIPI-32K.thumb.JPG.081451c2831875fa0665b4afa40016f6.JPG

3 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

I have a TP-10, and a stand alone  RS-232 would be simple and quick to move to another console.

• Like 1