IGNORED

TIPI/32K in the Speech Synthesizer Enclosure (REVIEW)

Omega-TI

On 5/19/2020 at 5:23 PM, J-Data said:

I can make an update to the CPLD to disable the RAM when two jumpers are placed on the CRUBASE header rather than just one.  The CRU addressing logic ignores the second jumper, but the RAM enable logic can trigger off this and disable the RAM.  A very simple change.  

I made an update to the CPLD to disable the internal RAM on demand to allow use of a side-port SAMS or other external/PEB memory card.  I'm disabling RAM on any CRU address of 1800 or higher (the most significant CRU jumper set).  I tested it with a side-port 32K and it works fine.  I'll test with a SAMS as soon as I get mine.  This does limited the CRU address you can use with different memory configuration, but there should be plenty of unused addresses available.  Just can't use 1100 for external memory.  Let me know if that's a big deal. 

While I was at it, I've updated the LED logic to combine the TIPI and 32K LED behaviors, previously it only showed TIPI activity.  I'll use this CPLD version going forward.   I can provide the jedec file and instruction updating if anyone's interested.  I'll update this and the V1 PCB version on the GitHub repository shortly.   

20200525_102621.thumb.jpg.0888e1a98af62e86a41956d3196a629f.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/20/2020 at 6:28 PM, INVISIBLE said:

Yeah, I get that.  The reset button on the FG99 comes in handy if you don't already have a reset button on the TI or an external keyboard with the reset mod.

I'm using 4A/DOS with it and have option 9 setup to easily go to the TIPI screen to H)alt the Pi.

If someone was going to run this unit as their main home system, I'd suggest they feed the power 24/7 via an external power supply.  In my case this is strictly for portable use so I'll be careful not to turn it off to clear the screen if anything goes bonkers.

P.S. I'd take some steel wool to the aluminum on the speech synthesizer and dress it up a little.

BATCH FILE.pdf 109.26 kB · 6 downloads

You could cut the power trace and put a DC in jack at the back of the speech case for the Pi.    The only thing about the speech synthesizer is that it would have to go first in the chain to get power.  The synth wouldn't pass any power anyway unless you've done the bypass mod, and paranoid folks could put a diode in place.

You could cut the power trace and put a DC in jack at the back of the speech case for the Pi.    The only thing about the speech synthesizer is that it would have to go first in the chain to get power.  The synth wouldn't pass any power anyway unless you've done the bypass mod, and paranoid folks could put a diode in place.
There is one already but I am not using it in my test setup. I need to start using it thoughas I keep regularly turning off the console if it locks up and I've been using this console to test cartridges that I just built and they lock up now and then..

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, acadiel said:

You could cut the power trace and put a DC in jack at the back of the speech case for the Pi. 

This TIPI does have a zero ohm jumper on console +5V power-in, and a rear power connector as an optional input as you suggest.  I'm assuming most people want the TIPI powered off the console, so I'm placing the zero ohm jumper by default (0805 SMT zero ohm jumper on backside).  This can be popped off if not needed.  This TIPI does pass 5V power through to the expansion port so a real speech synthesizer can be plug second in the chain (see earlier post).

Since some want the PI power off the TIPI (no wires), I put a 5V power tap on the TIPI (Matt's idea), but you can run the Pi off its own supply as well.  Just need to route a power cord into the housing.   The TIPI's power connector is a MicroUSB, same as the Pi ZeroW.  I only use it to power the TIPI while I doing initial CPLD programming.  From them on its powered off the console.  

I like powering the PI off the TIPI when its in the speech housing for the coolness factor of having zero wires, but most of the time (when doing real work) I leave the boards out of the case and power the PI externally as in the picture above, so I don't have to worry about the shutting-down pi, and can access the SMB shared drives when the console's off.  Both ways have merit. 

4 hours ago, J-Data said:

This TIPI does have a zero ohm jumper on console +5V power-in, and a rear power connector as an optional input as you suggest.  I'm assuming most people want the TIPI powered off the console, so I'm placing the zero ohm jumper by default (0805 SMT zero ohm jumper on backside).  This can be popped off if not needed.  This TIPI does pass 5V power through to the expansion port so a real speech synthesizer can be plug second in the chain (see earlier post).

Since some want the PI power off the TIPI (no wires), I put a 5V power tap on the TIPI (Matt's idea), but you can run the Pi off its own supply as well.  Just need to route a power cord into the housing.   The TIPI's power connector is a MicroUSB, same as the Pi ZeroW.  I only use it to power the TIPI while I doing initial CPLD programming.  From them on its powered off the console.  

I like powering the PI off the TIPI when its in the speech housing for the coolness factor of having zero wires, but most of the time (when doing real work) I leave the boards out of the case and power the PI externally as in the picture above, so I don't have to worry about the shutting-down pi, and can access the SMB shared drives when the console's off.  Both ways have merit. 

Great planning and thought put into this!  I wasn't aware of it all earlier in the thread, so thanks for the explanation. 

Yes, I'd want my Pi Zero to have a jack in the back with separate power - to keep it running even when I turn the console off.  Hard shutoffs for these things are hard to tell if you'll corrupt something - I have managed to corrupt Raspbian on a couple occasions where the kids yanked the RetroPi power out - and I just had to reimage it and move everything over again.

The Zero takes minuscule voltage anyway, so I don't mind leaving it on.  I wonder if  a microUSB connector we can mount on the back of the case  (like this) - or maybe, I can just do a Coax to microUSB and give it power externally that way.  Both of these solutions - just drill a hole in the back.

2 hours ago, acadiel said:

I wonder if  a microUSB connector we can mount on the back of the case

I’ll bet there’s enough room on the back of the speech case for that microUSB bulkhead connector.  The tricky part may be finding the perfect right angle MicroUSB adapter to make the turn coming out of the pi before the side wall.  We found a good adapter for the 2nd USB to connect a wireless mouse dongle to.  There’s some good pictures of that in the development thread. See link below  Worst case you could use that same adapter but it could block the mouse USB port.  I’ll bet we can find something, and if not we can make a cable to go straight from the pi’s IO power pins to the bulkhead.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/304361-tipi-in-a-speech-synthesizer-housing/?do=findComment&comment=4535770

• Like 1

Many people know by now that the TIPI goes with Force Command like milk goes with cookies.  However, I've found that I need a cheat sheet at times when learning something new, so I made up a totally unauthorized reference sheet to jog my failing memory as I learn his fantastic DOS for the TI.  Basically I just ripped off @jedimatt42's listed instructions in message #1 of << his thread on Force Command >>!

I don't know how long this PDF will remain current because @jedimatt42 is always improving his DOS and adding commands, but it always helps me to have something "AT HAND" to help out.  With that in mind, I figured I'd share it in case anyone else might like to use it as well.  Since my original intent was for my own personal use, it's not fancy because it was just slapped together.  Anyway here it is.

Force Command - Reference Sheets.pdf

• Like 4

On 5/19/2020 at 3:53 PM, INVISIBLE said:

No, white will NOT do!  I'll mail out a couple of silver and a couple of black on transparent labels for you tomorrow.

Just got my metallic TIPI/32K labels from @INVISIBLE.  Really helps complete the look.  Thanks!

20200526_192112.thumb.jpg.96c76ef4c20ee39ca7651b8145d1445b.jpg

20200526_192456.thumb.jpg.e0a4cfb3296913237c643021b0e7ec6b.jpg

Will try removing the "Speech Synthesizer" lettering and see how the clear labels look next. 

First three production TIPI/32K units are en-route to @arcadeshopper now. Next build is in underway at the board house as well. 

• Like 4

On 5/25/2020 at 5:37 PM, acadiel said:

Yes, I'd want my Pi Zero to have a jack in the back with separate power - to keep it running even when I turn the console off. 

I think I found a right angle MicroUSB adapter that may do the trick. 

20200527_135312.thumb.jpg.3efb86e0ecbc50135504ba3ef5ad420f.jpg

Its similar to the one for the USB mouse dongle, but turns the opposite direction (they actually come as a set  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C6031MA).  It's a tight fit and requires some adapter trimming to avoid an internal rib, but puts the Pi's USB power at a really good spot on the back of the housing.

20200527_135822.thumb.jpg.c4676a3e959f854618f42cb9af112401.jpg

You could also feed TIPI power through back side but I can't think of a good reason to do that instead of just powering it off the console.  (TIPI power that is, not Pi power).   

20200527_135952.thumb.jpg.d0b15e115dfa13ffe0616019116016fc.jpg

To me the only question is whether to power the PI from the TIPI or externally, and I think there is a good case for either depending on the application.  I plan to keep my two units setup the two different ways. 

20200527_140102.thumb.jpg.5b15cbcf4b3a278f7d8816ee8d35a384.jpg

Yes, I did hack up one of my housings. 

• Like 2

F18A Users

IF you are running a TIPI and you also use Force Command, put the attached file in your TIPI's root directory.  (Trust me!) 

From the command prompt type: LOAD PALEA5 and then be amazed.  Currently there is no way to reset to normal without cycling the power, so for those guys running their RPI's off the TI, be careful.

PALEA5.zip

On 5/26/2020 at 8:29 AM, INVISIBLE said:

Many people know by now that the TIPI goes with Force Command like milk goes with cookies.  However, I've found that I need a cheat sheet at times when learning something new, so I made up a totally unauthorized reference sheet to jog my failing memory as I learn his fantastic DOS for the TI.  Basically I just ripped off @jedimatt42's listed instructions in message #1 of << his thread on Force Command >>!

I don't know how long this PDF will remain current because @jedimatt42 is always improving his DOS and adding commands, but it always helps me to have something "AT HAND" to help out.  With that in mind, I figured I'd share it in case anyone else might like to use it as well.  Since my original intent was for my own personal use, it's not fancy because it was just slapped together.  Anyway here it is.

Force Command - Reference Sheets.pdf 351 kB · 15 downloads

Type in "help", observe list of commands. 

Type in "help copy", observe details. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Type in "help", observe list of commands. 

Type in "help copy", observe details. 

Yeah, true enough, but what if I'm in the editor working on something and don't want to save what I'm doing, then exit the program, the run the help command, then write down what I need, then reload the program and then reload my project?  Seems to me having a quick reference is so much faster.

Now a PRINT HELP command that lists every command of the current version to PI.PIO for printing would eliminate the obsolescence issue, while still having a handy reference sheet.

3 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

its a red 512k rom cartridge board sitting next to it

Got it ! It looked like it was plugged into the TIPI, which it’s obviously not. 

To my defense it’s 6.20 in the morning, so apparently eyes not fully open yet ?

• Like 2

On 5/28/2020 at 7:30 AM, INVISIBLE said:

F18A Users

IF you are running a TIPI and you also use Force Command, put the attached file in your TIPI's root directory.  (Trust me!) 

From the command prompt type: LOAD PALEA5 and then be amazed.  Currently there is no way to reset to normal without cycling the power, so for those guys running their RPI's off the TI, be careful.

PALEA5.zip 238 B · 3 downloads

You know, I bet a TOGGLE FUNCTION could be built into Force Command to do what this program does.   ENHANCEON and ENHANCEOFF maybe?

Hi All, Since a number of TIPI-32K units are now getting out into peoples hands, I've created a Wiki page covering the unique aspects of this design.  You can find it on GitHub here:

https://github.com/jgparker/tipi/wiki

I've kept it separate from @jedimatt42's TIPI wiki so I can make updates quicker, and I'm trying not to duplicate items already covered in his Wiki.  Please look it over and let me know if you see anything that needs to be added or changed.  Thanks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, J-Data said:

Just received a new batch of 5 TIPI-32K boards this morning.  First one is build and is working great.  Running the 256 pass RAM test now.  I'll knock out the remaining 4 this evening and get them out the @arcadeshopper.

20200601_095825.thumb.jpg.32986ebd4a4aa80a5ae32d01a1f9056d.jpg

I'm still blown away by this thing.  It does everything and more than the huge-ass original P-Box ever did back in the day... and for a boatload less, without adjusting for inflation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1