IGNORED

TIPI/32K in the Speech Synthesizer Enclosure (REVIEW)

Omega-TI

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Splitter?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, J-Data said:

I wasn't sure it was possible, but apparently you can run a TIPI/32K and a NanoPEB at the same time. Just can't figure out how to connect the SAMS card yet.  (Disable NanoPEP 32K ram, and add a header to edge card adapter to connect the SAMS and the NanoPEP?)   Needs more integration. 

IMG_0018.thumb.JPG.5de69f68f3ee6fa7904477bfcc64d070.JPG

If both 32K's (TIPI/32K and NanoPEB) are active at the same time my system will crash.   

There may be a trace that can be cut  (and a jumper added) on the Nano that would allow the SAMs to co-exist?  I read on one of the forum posts where a user had accidently hosed his Nano's internal 32k with a bad power adapter.  

J-Data. your 2nd release CPLD  to modify the CRUBASE actually seemed to allow both cards to work at the same time.  However, I did not get a chance to test it very much before installed your final version. 

• Like 2

Okay, I know I'm getting a little slow in my declining years, but I must really be missing something.  What is the benefit of running a Nano-PEB with a TIPI/32K?  About the only thing my mind can fathom would be a legacy serial printer or maybe a CF7 for a parallel printer.  

1 minute ago, Omega-TI said:

Okay, I know I'm getting a little slow in my declining years, but I must really be missing something.  What is the benefit of running a Nano-PEB with a TIPI/32K?  About the only thing my mind can fathom would be a legacy serial printer or maybe a CF7 for a parallel printer.  

In my case, its primarily the RS232.  I have a serial to parallel adapter to my ancient Kodak DICONIX 180si inkjet printer.

I am still evaluating how beneficial it is.  However, Force Command has opened a new set of rules that may make this hardware more useful!  (also, it is cool to be able to do it as a hobby!) 

That's why we use 40 year old computers? ?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, dgrissom said:

In my case, its primarily the RS232.  I have a serial to parallel adapter to my ancient Kodak DICONIX 180si inkjet printer.

I am still evaluating how beneficial it is.  However, Force Command has opened a new set of rules that may make this hardware more useful!  (also, it is cool to be able to do it as a hobby!) 

That's why we use 40 year old computers? ?

Yeah, thanks for setting me straight on the specific use case, the only thing I could imagine was a printer.  Oh yeah, Force Command is opening up new avenues and possibilities.  In fact, I believe within a few years, for what the program does not evolve into by the author, people will write specific programs that integrate perfectly into the environment.  

Yep, that is a large part of the fun of the old TI.  In fact I'm getting away for a few days in a couple of weeks and taking mine with me.  

5 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

What is the benefit of running a Nano-PEB with a TIPI/32K?

I just wanted to see if it was possible, and to get a better understand the NanoPEB operation and design. 

To me, the disk capability of the TIPI is so much better than the NanoPEB, its not even comparable.  The CF disks were great for its time, but getting a bit long in the tooth. 

My only reason to add RS232 was to play the my old terminal emulator 2 cart and 300 baud modem.  Unfortunately, the phone number for CompuServe doesn't appear to be good anymore.  Still have many old TE2 sessions saved on tape.

Also wanted to see if a similar approach could be added to the TIPI/32K.   NanoPEB did it with a TMS9902 (Still available), an EPROM and and very small CPLD, (XC9536) and we already have 2 of three with room to spare, so I have no doubt it could be done.   Just not sure there's a need. 

• Like 2

I'm getting a nanopeb mainly because tipi can not handle forth disks properly.

Plus, i have a second ti, so the nanopeb will be a quick way to expand it.

Wasn't there a thread awhile back on DIY robotics / home automation over the rs232 port also?

Edited by jrhodes

11 minutes ago, jrhodes said:

I'm getting a nanopeb, mainly because tipi can not handle forth disks properly.

Plus, i have a second ti, so the nanopeb will be a quick way to expand it.

Wasn't there a thread awhile back on DIY robotics / home automation over the rs232 port also?

TIPI works fine with FB forth and TurboForth.. just not TI forth..

• Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 4:31 PM, J-Data said:

Cool.  I need to add the shutdown mod.  What GPIO pin did you end up using for the shutdown input?  Between the TIPI interface and the CPLD JEDEC interface, the ones commonly used are already taken (GPIO 17 & 21).  Can you post the python script you used?

The Python code works OK.  

After downloading a newer TIPI image to my sd card, I researched other solutions to the Shutdown.

This is a much easier solution to the Shutdown button.

1. Wire a button to physical pins 5-6 on the Pi Zero W

2. Modify PI's "/boot/config.txt".

I commented out:

#     dtparam=i2c_arm=on

added at the bottom of the file:

dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown,gpio_pin=3, active_low=1,gpio_pull=up

This works great on my TIPI/32K and PI Zero W.

DG

Edited by dgrissom
Better reference to Original Post
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/20/2020 at 10:05 PM, GDMike said:

I can't seem to run force commander. Does it not run on a FR99? Or is their an image of it in ea5 somewhere?

I can't wait to see this.

Kind of off Topic but revisiting a earlier question: 

Did you ever get Force Command to run on your FR99?

Reason I ask is that I found that you can completely remove the FCMDG.bin (Grom File) and the menu and FORCE CMD entry for Force Command runs fine.

Just curious?

I'm having two problems...

1) I've been getting quite forgetful in the past couple of years, so if I don't do or use something regularly, I forget it.  It's freaking nerve wracking.

2) I have a TIPI issue (on my end nothing to do with software or hardware).

Here is the problem, I have two TIPI', both named "tipi" so when I want to access one or the other I usually use the IP#'s like:

192.168.0.34:9900/files or 192.168.0.41:9900/files.  It's worked for me, so I've gone with it.  Now I do have the P-Box TIPI mapped on my network, so I can access the PDFS directory on that one.  Problem is, I cannot remember how to map a network drive to get the other tipi (of the same name) mapped so I can retrieve a PDF I have saved on the portable unit.  So, I was thinking, it would be so much easier if we could simply use the BROWSER INTERFACE to access the PDFS directory!  Then it would be simple to download it to the PC or delete the files like we can on the TI files.  

2 hours ago, Omega-TI said:

I'm having two problems...

1) I've been getting quite forgetful in the past couple of years, so if I don't do or use something regularly, I forget it.  It's freaking nerve wracking.

2) I have a TIPI issue (on my end nothing to do with software or hardware).

Here is the problem, I have two TIPI', both named "tipi" so when I want to access one or the other I usually use the IP#'s like:

192.168.0.34:9900/files or 192.168.0.41:9900/files.  It's worked for me, so I've gone with it.  Now I do have the P-Box TIPI mapped on my network, so I can access the PDFS directory on that one.  Problem is, I cannot remember how to map a network drive to get the other tipi (of the same name) mapped so I can retrieve a PDF I have saved on the portable unit.  So, I was thinking, it would be so much easier if we could simply use the BROWSER INTERFACE to access the PDFS directory!  Then it would be simple to download it to the PC or delete the files like we can on the TI files.  

Wrong thread man... but I replied over here:  

My Board has arrived. **YEAH**  I have an additional SS Sidecar ... now I get to solder my RPI and some other mods ... My new 3D printer may come in useful here.... hmmmm probably better learn to 3d Model first....LOL

Looking forward to firing this up. 

Now, what to do with the 32k Sidecar. hmm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep, I am lazier than a fat cat high on catnip.

That being said, I doubt the TIPI/32k does, however I must ask: 

"Does this allow TI Video Output through the HDMI port?"

That might be a fun exercise. It might have to be a loop around cable job ex:  TI-99/4a Video Out ]======[ TIPI/32k Rear. I haven't even had time to put mine together yet. Nor Mess around with it.... and believe me I am yearning for Saturday morning.

Seems like a bit of computing power might be able to translate a video signal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mehridian Sanders said:

"Does this allow TI Video Output through the HDMI port?"

Nope, but you certainly can connect a monitor to the HDMI (and keyboard to USB) to access the RPi’s Linux console if you like.  (I just use PuTTY from a PC.)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 6:18 AM, J-Data said:

Official review of the TIPI/32K from Wagner's tech talk has been posted! 

YT recently changed how they do things and there were about 4 breakpoints of ads for this video which might have made it annoying.  Since I preview the video using YT Studio, I don't see them myself and didn't notice until a week after the video was made public.  I've since cut the ads down from 4 to 1.  No one mentioned it to me but I feel like that was excessive and that's not how I like to do things.  My apology, but it's fixed now.  I hope you enjoy the video and your TIPI/32K!

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

Hi All,  In my ongoing effort to reduce cost on the TIPI/32K, I was looking for an alternate for the Cypress and Alliance 62256 32KB SRAM parts used on both the Combo and regular TIPIs.  Both parts have gone up in price significantly in the last year due to the semiconductor shortage.  I found an ample supply of the Hitachi HM62256BLP-7 in Asia, which appears to be a drop in replacement, and are available at about 25% the cost of the current RAM parts.  I got a batch, and from what I can tell they work really well and may actually be more reliable in the TIPI/32K than either of the existing parts.  

2096437674_IMG_04931.thumb.JPG.0bcc8859bf48cbcf8c9a66360b1d7e60.JPG

Can anyone think of a reason not to use the Hitachi parts in the TIPI/32K going forward?

Also, I've notice no one length of LED leads works well for everyone from what I've seen in user posts.  It needs to be super long if installed in a speech synthesizer case, but otherwise, people seem to like the leads short.  Also, the long version is hard to keep safe in shipping.  Rather than guess, it might be better to just put a socket on the board and ship the LED loose to let people cut to length.  Obviously you'll need to get the polarity right, but there's no harm by putting it in backwards.  Anyone see an issue leaving this to the user?

675069577_IMG_04891.thumb.JPG.88062043c649f001a059326deae687ed.JPG

• Like 8