IGNORED

TIPI/32K in the Speech Synthesizer Enclosure (REVIEW)

Omega-TI

5 hours ago, J-Data said:

Just received a new batch of 5 TIPI-32K boards this morning.  First one is build and is working great.  Running the 256 pass RAM test now.  I'll knock out the remaining 4 this evening and get them out the @arcadeshopper.

20200601_095825.thumb.jpg.32986ebd4a4aa80a5ae32d01a1f9056d.jpg

I am truly blown away. I wan just designing a desktop that would fit the TI-99 within the desk... I set it to accommodate the Speech Synth .... now I am doing a small redesign... keep posting progress I just picked up my jaw

• Like 3

7 hours ago, J-Data said:

Just received a new batch of 5 TIPI-32K boards this morning.  First one is build and is working great.  Running the 256 pass RAM test now.  I'll knock out the remaining 4 this evening and get them out the @arcadeshopper.

20200601_095825.thumb.jpg.32986ebd4a4aa80a5ae32d01a1f9056d.jpg

Wow,

I ordered my board from Arcade Shopper this weekend.  I am really excited about this!  Hopefully one of those is coming to me!

I received my RPi Zero W today.  I bought it a week ago for another project.  However, this project and thread shredded those plans.

I emptied my Speech Synth to get the shell ready today.  (I wrapped the board and RF shield with aluminum flashing and added labels -- it looks pretty cool and it will do until I can acquire a replacement case.)

This is going to be cool!

SpeechCover.jpg

• Like 2

There WILL be a new video in about a week, hopefully sooner if time allows.  Anyway here is a 'sneak peak' on how portable the TI is with the new 32K/TIPI sidecar.

Now the TI is easy to take and use nearly anywhere... more so if I had a smaller monitor to use.

TI-99/4A Setup Outside

849708256_PORTABLETI-01.thumb.jpg.cb006890289a764ee7a0877a7ceed361.jpg

Power Supplied with a small UPS. 

1758470667_PORTABLETI-02.thumb.jpg.2c8119bb49cf0286b75d516d5b2f17b6.jpg

Only two outlets used, one for the TI, one for the monitor.   

• Like 3

On 5/19/2020 at 3:58 PM, arcadeshopper said:

The original TIPI can also use the sams sidecar for 1mb rather than just 32k..

I can now confirm that the TIPI/32K does work with the SAMS sidecar when the internal RAM is disable (CRUBASE set to 1800 or higher) with the V1 version of the CPLD.

20200604_160904.thumb.jpg.ed217a0a429de56aa0f65f9efc1c1d71.jpg

Is there a good listing of SW that supports the 1MB SAMS card somewhere? 

• Like 3

I can now confirm that the TIPI/32K does work with the SAMS sidecar when the internal RAM is disable (CRUBASE set to 1800 or higher) with the V1 version of the CPLD.

20200604_160904.thumb.jpg.ed217a0a429de56aa0f65f9efc1c1d71.jpg

Is there a good listing of SW that supports the 1MB SAMS card somewhere? 

Awesome there is in the 1mb sams thread

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

That's kinda neat.  Someday if more software comes out for the SAMS, and a smaller less expensive version is made, I might pop for one to slap on the side of my speech box enclosure.   I'd go for something similar to this... with a small 3D printed black case to slide over it for protection.

474620243_32KRAMPack.thumb.JPG.f342d0abe12e17f285c846ba6f74f085.JPG

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

Someday if more software comes out for the SAMS, and a smaller less expensive version is made,

If we can replicate the 74LS614 page registers in the CPLD, and replace the 32K DIP RAM with a 1MB SMT flat pack, it might be doable in the TIPI/32K form factor.  Call it TIPI/1024K?  That and adding a RS232 port.  Needs to all fit in the speech housing.  Maybe that's the next project. 

• Like 6

That's kinda neat.  Someday if more software comes out for the SAMS, and a smaller less expensive version is made, I might pop for one to slap on the side of my speech box enclosure.   I'd go for something similar to this... with a small 3D printed black case to slide over it for protection.

474620243_32KRAMPack.thumb.JPG.f342d0abe12e17f285c846ba6f74f085.JPG
There is no way to get it smaller that I know of since the memory controller is a large dip this is likely as small as it will get. The rest of the chips are already smd

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, J-Data said:

If we can replicate the 74LS614 page registers in the CPLD, and replace the 32K DIP RAM with a 1MB SMT flat pack, it might be doable in the TIPI/32K form factor.  Call it TIPI/1024K?  That and adding a RS232 port.  Needs to all fit in the speech housing.  Maybe that's the next project. 

Great ideas,  Maybe you could add a heating element to keep my coffee warm?   Don't make want to cancel my pending order for the current model!   ?

Don't sell yourself short.  What you did with the current board is mindboggling!

With TIPI, I can see SAMS boards being a major player down the road.

Of course with all this new technology, all I will probably want to do is play Parsec?!

Well, this video is a lot shorter than originally intended.  Realizing that brevity is bliss and much of the TIPI capabilities have been talked about in lenth and detail, I figured I'd post the features and bennies of this variation.  Sorry it took so long.  I hope you like it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's plenty of alternate packaging mappers out there.

VLSI duplicated function/drive in their 40-pin DIP and PLC44 for the PC-AT memory mapper, VL82C612, if memory serves though those are now scarce.

But I've been using the SN74LS612FN package for several years now when I don't need mutli-chip, e.g. HCT drive capability (such as Thierry's Super/Hyper AMS designs).

$4/chip in quantity, but last batch of 100 I bought, seller accepted $2/chip.

Doug

SN74LS612FN.JPG

• Like 2

"Steampunk" TI99 Sidecar Expansion.

Today, I added two mini toggle switches to my Speech Synthesizer enclosure for my TIPI/32K (see below)

• The toggle closest to the console, switches the Raspberry PI's power back and forth between the console and micro-USB power.(note1)   I don't like to power my TIPI/32K with the console, but will do it in a pinch if needed.
  • The switch to the right switches off/on the TIPI/32K's internal RAM and allows the NanoPEB to work. 
  • The device in the center is the "naked" speech synthesizer.  The TI "Sidecar" system is reborn. (In a 6.25" long form!)
  • The device on the end of the chain is the NanoPEB in it homemade 1/2 VCR tape case.

Features:

• RS232, 3 Disk Drives, over 1000 disk capacity, and 32K RAM (NanoPEB).
  • Speech!
  • WIFI, Bluetooth, Internet Browsing, FTP, Telnet, nearly unlimited file storage, Supercool DOS using Force Command, Mouse, and much, much more! (TIPI/32K and Raspberry PI Zero W). 

Future Plans:

• External Activity Light
  • Button to safely power off/on the PI.
  • Warp Drive.

As you can tell, I am having a great time playing with this!

(note1)  I don't plan on trying to switch power (or CRUBASE) unless the unit is completely powered down and external power is off/unplugged if using console power.

(I don't want to disrupt the Space Time Continuum! or smoke my PI)

steampunkTI.jpg

• Like 3

Awesome.   TIPI with Nano PEB, I didn't know that was even possible. 

13 hours ago, dgrissom said:

I don't plan on trying to switch power (or CRUBASE) unless the unit is completely powered down

Changing CRUBASE/RAM-disable does require a power cycle, as the CPLD latches that CRU address on power-up.

If you do implement that Pi shutdown button, please post some details here.  I've seen that mod before or other Pi applications, and would be a great add to any TIPI. 

• Like 1

Always wanting more, I was thinking a way to automatically shut down the TI after a TIPIHALT command was issued would be nice.  How exactly that would be done, I have no idea.  It would probably require a device between the power switch and the internal power supply requiring a lead to be cut.  Maybe sliding the switch off, then back on to restart.  Probably not enough people requiring this method would render it not feasible to create though.  

On more than one occasion I've shut down the Pi, and left the computer on for hours.

4 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

Always wanting more, I was thinking a way to automatically shut down the TI after a TIPIHALT command was issued would be nice.  How exactly that would be done, I have no idea.  It would probably require a device between the power switch and the internal power supply requiring a lead to be cut.  Maybe sliding the switch off, then back on to restart.  Probably not enough people requiring this method would render it not feasible to create though.  

On more than one occasion I've shut down the Pi, and left the computer on for hours.

I can think of a way using a large hammer and a string?  No seriously!  ?