IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 13 - Carnival

[ Intellivision HSC Season 12 ]

(Game 13)

Carnival

Coleco-Carnival.jpg

Carnival by Coleco / CBS 1982

carnival.gif

This game captures the fun, excitement, and sounds of an old-time shooting gallery.

ROM Download Link

https://www.romnation.net/srv/roms/21480/intellivision/Carnival-1982-Coleco-CBS.html

High Score Club Record

NONE YET - SET RECORD! 54,490 IntyFanMatt

Game Setting

SKILL LEVEL 2

Game ends,
SUNDAY MAY 31ST 11:59PM EST

(HIGH SCORES)

1. 54,490 IntyFanMatt [+11]

2. 45,160 cmadruga [+10]

3. 43,200 JacobZu7zu7 [+9]

4. 28,590 fakecortex [+7]

5. 23,650 Ace24 [+6]

6. 22,220 JasonlikesINTV[+5]

7. 21,800 gezkc [+4]

8. 12,930 wolfy62 [+3]

9. 11,070 BiffMan [+2]

10. 9,420 jblenkle [+1]

11. 3,530 roadrunner [+1]

12. 2,100 Mangia-Boy [+1]

Rankings

1. BiffMan [+96]

2. gezkc [+91]

3. cmadruga [+64]

4. JasonlikesINTV [+59]

5. Ace24 [+58]

6. IntyFanMatt [+57]

7. JacobZu7zu7 [+52]

8. mr_me [+46]

9. wolfy62 [+38]

10. cparsely [+31]

11. dpisicane [+28]

12. fakecortex [+26]

13. Player One [+24]

14. Intelligentleman [+23]

15. jblenkle [+20]

16. ed1475 [+16]

17. m-crew [+13]

18. Intellfan [+10]

19. roadrunner [+8]

20. hoosierdadee78 [+7]

21. S.BAZ [+4]

21. Mangia-Boy [+4]

23. t0spmad [+2]

23. Mister-VCS [+2]

25. DarthCloud [+1]

Games Won

4 - BiffMan (Atlantis - Demon Attack - Mission X  - Auto Racing)

3 - mr_me (Lock 'N Chase - Tron Deadly Discs - Space Hawk)

3 - gezkc (Burgertime - Auto Racing - Happy Trails)

1 - cmadruga  (Tron Deadly Discs speed 1)

1 - cparsley (Mouse Trap)

1 - IntyFanMatt (Frogger)

1 - ed1475 (Space Armada)

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

Important: Before shooting targets, "MUTE" the Carnival music by hitting that note on the far right side of screen.

The game will become 100% more enjoyable on mute lol.

Wiser words have seldom been uttered 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

Important: Before shooting targets, "MUTE" the Carnival music by hitting that note on the far right side of screen.

The game will become 100% more enjoyable on mute lol.

What is it with Colecovision and their music? My ears still haven't recovered from the pounding they got in Mousetrap! ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, IntyFanMatt said:

This is known to be one of the worst games on the system. I have it but never played it. We shall see!

It may not be the best version of Carnival, but it's still Carnival and quite fun. You just have to work around the glitches and movement issues. 

Certainly not nearly to the level of The Game That Shall Not Be Named. 

• Haha 5

I love the error buzz if you have the audacity to try and start a game with the disc.  Gotta love that user friendly interface, as if the developers wanted to be very clear in their message:  "You're not playing on a ColecoVision, fuck you." 

• Haha 6

Jeez, you really have to keep your eye on your remaining bullets. If you're still moving your gun before you realise the game's finished, it takes you straight to the player select screen and you miss the chance to see your final score! 

I guess that's why they had to stick this warning in the instruction manual:

Caution: Pressing the Disc immediately after a game resets the game and returns you to the Game Option screen.

Why did they even bother porting these games to the Intellivision? It's like they want us to hate them! ?

Edited by gezkc
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, gezkc said:

Jeez, you really have to keep your eye on your remaining bullets. If you're still moving your gun before you realise the game's finished, it takes you straight to the player select screen and you miss the chance to see your final score! 

I guess that's why they had to stick this warning in the instruction manual:

Caution: Pressing the Disc immediately after a game resets the game and returns you to the Game Option screen.

Why did they even bother porting these games to the Intellivision? It's like they want us to hate them! ?

I noticed that part in the manual too! I read it and thought, if they need to put a caution in there, can't they just program it differently? I like games that only return to the title screen when you press a specific keypad button. There's 12 of them there, take advantage!

• Haha 3

Looks like coleco had no play testing or quality control.  Cartridges go for manufacturing, which was a big investment, a month or two process.  They are not going to throw all that out (not even for intellivision II incompatiblity), so they address issues like this in the instructions.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Looks like coleco had no play testing or quality control.  Cartridges go for manufacturing, which was a big investment, a month or two process.  They are not going to throw all that out (not even for intellivision II incompatiblity), so they address issues like this in the instructions.

Sounds about right to me. It'll also explain why they had to put this warning in the manual too! 

Game Malfunction
If your game malfunctions, press Reset to "clear" the system and begin a new ga
me.

?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, gezkc said:

Sounds about right to me. It'll also explain why they had to put this warning in the manual too! 

Game Malfunction
If your game malfunctions, press Reset to "clear" the system and begin a new ga
me.

?

I see that all the time for games of the era. It's like, games glitch, nbd, that's why we have the "reset" feature!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, gezkc said:

As if that weren't bad enough, it'll also buzz at you for restarting the game with the disc instead of a button. 

I'm still going with the "You're not playing on a ColecoVision, fuck you" explanation.  ?

• Haha 3

Any suggestions on how to control this sucker?  My biggest stumbling block is inability to do small moves to line up on the edges of the pipe wheel.  If I'm off by a tiny amount, I can't move a tiny amount to get on target, I have to do big movements and just hope it comes back in the correct spot. 

Using jzintv and have tried with both Flashback controller and keyboard, both seem the same. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BiffMan said:

Any suggestions on how to control this sucker?  My biggest stumbling block is inability to do small moves to line up on the edges of the pipe wheel.  If I'm off by a tiny amount, I can't move a tiny amount to get on target, I have to do big movements and just hope it comes back in the correct spot. 

Using jzintv and have tried with both Flashback controller and keyboard, both seem the same. 

I just swing/tap and hope for best, when situated on right or left side of the wheel. Just tap once left or right, let go, shoot ... and hope it hits the pipe wheel. If not rise and repeat same ... that's the best I got.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1