IGNORED

Good games to play with a 4-year old?

Schnaasfan

My 4-year old daughter is showing some interest in playing video games with me. But she gets frustrated when playing Xbox because the games are too complex and the controller is hard for her to grasp with all the different sticks and buttons. So I was thinking of maybe trying out some 2600 games with her. I ordered a Hyperkin Retron77 that should arrive in the mail anytime soon now. Are there some good easy games suitable for a 4-year old that I could try out with her?

Edited by III

I'd recommend something like Frogger or Space Invaders. They're simple games, but still complex enough to be pretty engaging and fun. I mean, I played these games when I was like 6 or so and I still liked them. And for a multiplayer game, I have to recommend Fishing Derby. It's extremely simple, but it is a blast with two players. I tried this one out with my sister's boyfriend and we were surprised by how good it was.

Back in 2009, Me and a friend of mine were able to convince our local museum to have a video game exhibit, where we had games and machines on display as well as being setup up for any and all to come in and learn and have some fun. Eventually we had themed days like Mario Day, Pirate Day, Light Gun Day, Space Day where we dressed up as pirates, etc., and setup the machines with the themed games. The schools chimed in and had field trips to the museum where I would sometimes be available to talk to them about video games. The exhibit was the #1 highest in attendance and donations the museum had ever seen. The Atari 2600's strength is definitely in the game play simplicity for young kids. 

I would recommend trying:

Mario Bros

PacMan 

Ms. PacMan

DigDug

Joust

Lock 'n Chase

Mr. Do

I'd stay with games that stick to a single screen like the ones mentioned by others.

When my niece was that age, she liked games that did not require split-second timing nor careful control.  

Bowling

Maze Craze

Surround

Also Adventure and Haunted House just for the fun of exploration.

Games where the enemy shoots you quickly or movements have to be exact or you die... Those didn’t go over so well. 

• Like 1