IGNORED

Dragon's Havoc - Side-Scrolling Shooter, Cartridge Available for Purchase and Demo available for download in thread!

Here's demo for folks to try!  The game ends after stage 1-3.  High Score entries are turned off for now.

DragonsHavoc_12_31_2020_Demo.bas.a78

DragonsHavoc_12_31_2020_Demo.bas.bin

Rules are simple - The more you hit with your fire breath, the faster you and your shots move.  If you miss (or lose a life), you slow back down.  If you are at maximum speed, any points gained are doubled.

DragonsHavocDemoTitle.thumb.png.8e36f68d7817ac160decea662d42674e.png

There's still plenty for me to do, even in terms of the demo.  A lot of the graphics, music, and sounds are still stand-in (folks may recognize sprites from my previous games) but I wanted to post something before New Year's.  This is a little like a quiet opening before the Oscar deadline...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Karl G said:

That is a really gorgeous and fun demo! I'm really looking forward to seeing this develop. I suggest considering not limiting yourself to 48K for this title so that you don't have to limit yourself as much on the number and length of stages, etc. 

IMG_20201231_1145245.thumb.jpg.7a5fa3d3189684b23c74886c9b632d77.jpg

Holy crap! @Karl GYou win for quickest download and play of this demo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I suggest considering not limiting yourself to 48K for this title so that you don't have to limit yourself as much on the number and length of stages, etc. 

Oof - I'll have to sleep on that.  I'm in an odd situation where going multi-bank will actually result in me having *less* space for some stuff, at least in terms of graphics blocks.  I'm using 3 graphics blocks right now, which all fit snugly with the code in 48K, but would be a headache to restructure if I had to segment everything as it stands into separate banks.  I might take another look depending on how the other levels go.  It's certainly something I'm considering for future projects (especially with things like the Concerto for testing, and a lot of sound chip options on the horizon), but multi-bank also something that's much easier to deal with if you commit to it early on.  

2 minutes ago, Karl G said:

Also, I love the rage mechanic, and I would love to see a "rage bar" or the like to be able to keep track of it more easily. 

Glad you like it!  I'm curious to see how folks respond to it - the actual numbers might take some tuning, but I think the idea is sound.  As for a rage meter, I was about to say I'm out of graphics, but I *might* be able to try something...

Thank you for playing (and wow, that was a quick response!)

9 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

(I'm trying to write my own continue screen, but haven't gotten it to work.)

I was stumbling on this a while as well - What I ended up doing was having my continue variable *skip* code when I do my game over/reset variables.  Instead of setting the level back to 0, I just keep it where it is, for instance.  The more complicated part for me was adding the extra menu option on the game over screen.  

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Karl G said:

would love to see a "rage bar" or the like to be able to keep track of it more easily.

24 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

I love the rage mechanic and to echo the others, a rage meter or some visual cue would be great on that.

I think I have something in the works - I just did a "stress test" on my 7800 to make sure the display could handle it.  I'll probably post an update with a meter tomorrow (getting this initial demo uploaded was an accidental all-nighter for me :) ).  

On the uploaded demo build, the score/dragon color pulsing (as well as the sound pitch) is tied to the rage level, so you can get some idea of how enraged you are, but I'll admit it's subtle and not quite what you need if you're in the middle of a ton of enemies... 

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

You did a great job at implementing it.

This was a neat little trick I found - plotchars has a parameter where you can tell it how long to print the string, but the string itself can be longer.  Just define a string that's the maximum length of the meter, which character graphics you want to use, and draw only the number of characters you need: 

alphadata rage_meter scoredigits_8_wide
    '>>>>>>>>'
end

if rage <> 0 then plotchars rage_meter meter_color x y rage

Edited by Revontuli
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Revontuli said:

New build.  Currently I'm just fixing menu and palette shifting bugs, as well as tweaking some of the sound fx, nothing big, but probably stuff I'll forget about if I don't fix now:

Nice Update! The multi-shot/building of the power of the shots is an interesting mechanism...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Revontuli said:

New build.  Currently I'm just fixing menu and palette shifting bugs, as well as tweaking some of the sound fx, nothing big, but probably stuff I'll forget about if I don't fix now:

Love it, great shooter!! Just the right level of difficulty where it's not too easy but not too hard. The boss is really great!! The flashing might be intense for some people but I'm fine with it as it increases the intensity of the fight.

I was holding down the fire button for shooting and got freaked out when it quickly flashed to the CONTINUE/MAIN MENU right away after I died as I was still moving around in the game and it translated to moving around in the continue menu and almost hit 'main menu' by accident. You may want to have a slight pause after you die so the player can release the fire button and movement so they don't accidentally pick the wrong menu item.

Great stuff! Looking forward to playing it ZPH soon!

- James

image.thumb.png.bb695905d0d0fc0bd387443a15016a3c.png

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2021 at 1:24 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

You may want to have a slight pause after you die so the player can release the fire button and movement so they don't accidentally pick the wrong menu item.

This build will pause on the "Game Over" screen for about two seconds, and should have better menu tempo:

DragonsHavoc_1_3_2021_Demo.bas.a78

DragonsHavoc_1_3_2021_Demo.bas.bin

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed an annoying bug involving post-respawn invincibility and collision detection (very obvious in 2-player mode), plus trying out some other music.

I was trying out a few other things as well, hopefully it didn't mess up the demo build *too* much...

DragonsHavoc_1_18_2021_Demo.bas.a78

DragonsHavoc_1_18_2021_Demo.bas.bin

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I've been tied up on a few other things (like finalizing the details of 'Cache and 'Descent), but for 'Havoc I've been in "graphics mode" and playing with sprite design.  I'm trying an outline for player and enemy sprites - it can potentially reduce detail but I think it increases readability when in motion - which is important for a Shmup with complicated backgrounds. 

I also am slowly swapping out my placeholder sprites with newer ones - currently, Harpies and Perytons.  Although for the moment I'm just seeing how well they animate - the actual AI for both will likely be slightly different, and appear in elsewhere in the game outside the demo.    

DragonsHavoc_2_14_2021_Demo.bas.a78

DragonsHavoc_2_14_2021_Demo.bas.bin

DragonsHavocPeryton.thumb.png.e0979afe463ab42035b54ad978ef1146.png

DragonsHavocHarpies.thumb.png.c359084c9e574985870c96aa07bc46d8.png

• Like 1