IGNORED

Probably obvious video mod question

liveinabin

Hallo all.  I’ve got a 2 port 5200 that Albert sent me a while back.  He sent me a composite modded one as I’m in the UK (PAL land).

Its an old mod board but it works well and the picture is acceptable.

However, as well as the composite video (yellow wire in the picture), there are two other outputs (blue and purple wires) which, I understand, are Chroma and Luma.

I’d be an absolute muppet not to take advantage of those so:

What kind of cable can I fashion to use all of that? Are we talking SVideo? I’m not sure.

F2EC971D-0853-427C-AEE8-C38501E34DFD.thumb.jpeg.32c47d16d4d53a8670b0c36e0012074b.jpeg

Yes...Chroma and luma are for s-video. So you would just need the standard 4pin din s-video out jack. Wire up the Chroma to the right upper pin on the back of the jack, and the Luma to the upper left pin on the jack. The two bottom jacks are ground and you can tied those together to a ground on the board or main board of the 5200 somewhere. Although I usually try and use the same ground from the same section that the video is coming from.

I just took a closer look It appears that chroma and Luma were ran to separate RCA jacks on the back along with the composite? That makes since since Albert mainly uses commodore monitors for his displays and those monitors treated the chroma and luma a separate RCA inputs vs the more common 4-pin din connection.

You only need something like this to use s-video on a more common 4pin din. Though I would try and find a more local source for you as you are in the UK.

https://console5.com/store/s-video-s-vhs-to-rca-y-c-luma-chroma-adapter-cable-6-15-cm.html

• Like 1

There aren’t any that I can find for sale in UK. We never really bothered much with svideo in the land of the mighty RGB scart :)

It looks pretty easy to make one though. I’ll just butcher an old svideo cable and wire it into two RCAs.