IGNORED

"Recovering" vintage software.

"Recovering" vintage software. What resources do you use?

Building vintage PCs are in vogue these days. Perhaps moreso now than ever. Vintage PC. Vintage software. And that means period software. Software from the 80's and 90's. What are some of the resources you use to either learn about a certain package or bit of freeware or shareware?

Recently I got to gathering "updates" for some vintage astronomy stuff. Things like Dance of the Planets, SkyGlobe, Electric Astrolabe, smaller single-purpose utilities and loads of astrology stuff.

I found TheWaybackMachine great for visiting the websites of these things that have been long gone. Then there's the Mamont and Napalm FTP search engines. Of course there's tons shareware/freeware CD-ROMS and compilations on The Internet Archive. There's VetusWare, but it's kinda stupid with the download limitations. I also use OldVersion, OldApps, and WinWorld.

But what are some sites that are good for one-off unique DOS titles? Things made BEFORE the internet became popular. Things when BBS'es were still the rage.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 12:59 PM, Keatah said:

... smaller single-purpose utilities ...

Anything by Robert Miller? He's a friend of mine and long ago he gave me some utilities he wrote, like sunrise/set calculator and world map projections. I don't know how widely distributed they were.

Edited by ClausB