IGNORED

Current Notes magazine

In case some people only look at the ST section of Atariage, I have posted a bunch of early Ninties Current Notes magazine issues on Archive.org. I have about four more I hope to finish scanning and post in the next couple of days. You can find them under my archive.org account.

https://archive.org/details/@allan52

Allan

• Like 5

Thanks. Current Notes wasn’t normally sold in my area back in the day. I was an ANTIC/Analog/STart/STLog man pretty much exclusively. I’ve liked the issues of Current Notes that I’ve seen since that time though. It was a nice magazine with lots of good information.

It was amazing how long it lasted. From 1981 to 1995, which makes it the longest running Atari magazine ever. It's a shame it has taken to so long to be archived. We are getting there though. The early issues are going to be the toughest.

Hi guys, I lived in the DC area and remember going to various club meetings where Current Notes (as well as a few computer stores) were available and I picked up.  I am trying to remember which magazines were better for discussing the ins-and-outs of the ST, the Euro magazine seem to be mostly hype and games oriented with little in the way of articles that discuss programming and how the ST worked.  Do either (or others) have a favorite ST magazine that was less games oriented and more hands-on articles about programming, internals, WP and DTP?  Thanks!

Current Notes is awesome. The team behind it was simply

amazing and some of the nicest people ever.

I was fortunate enough to write a couple of articles for

them, wished I'd taken the time to write more.

Miss them much.....

• Like 1

Well, searching through archive.org, I managed to find and download 87 different issues of Current Notes. I have 8 issues from 1984, every single issue from 1985 through 1991, 7 from 1992, and one each from 1994 and 1995. I'm going to keep looking though. I don't expect to locate them all, but I'm hoping to find a few more.

I found 40 issue of Atari Interface between 1989 and 1993, but I didn't search quite as hard or as long as I did for Current Notes. I'll probably look for some more Atari Interface issues over the next day or two.

It would be nice to compile all of these and give them a common naming structure and put them together as a DVD image or something. Does anyone now how large an attachment we can attach to a thread? I'm not sure if that would be the best way to make them available, but it would be nicer to have them as one large download rather than having to spend hours searching for and downloading separate files.

8 hours ago, bfollowell said:

Well, searching through archive.org, I managed to find and download 87 different issues of Current Notes. I have 8 issues from 1984, every single issue from 1985 through 1991, 7 from 1992, and one each from 1994 and 1995. I'm going to keep looking though. I don't expect to locate them all, but I'm hoping to find a few more.

I found 40 issue of Atari Interface between 1989 and 1993, but I didn't search quite as hard or as long as I did for Current Notes. I'll probably look for some more Atari Interface issues over the next day or two.

It would be nice to compile all of these and give them a common naming structure and put them together as a DVD image or something. Does anyone now how large an attachment we can attach to a thread? I'm not sure if that would be the best way to make them available, but it would be nicer to have them as one large download rather than having to spend hours searching for and downloading separate files.

Eventually I will get one of the people over at Archive.org to put all the Current Notes into one section (as well as the other Atari magazines) The more commercial Atari magazines have their section.

There not to hard too find, it would just be nice to have them all under one section. If you download them all, it would be to big to post here but you could put them all on a DVD or something similar.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Randy said:

Not really cover disk per se, but there were disks you could get that were marker "Current Notes"  that had PD software and other stuff on them, used to have a couple of floppy holders filled with them...

Yes, I remember now. I did have a bunch of these for the ST. You can see them advertised in the back of the magazine.

Hopefully someone into the STs will/have archive these. If I ever come across the 8-bit disks I will archive them onto the Net.

3 hours ago, Randy said:

Not really cover disk per se, but there were disks you could get that were marker "Current Notes"  that had PD software and other stuff on them, used to have a couple of floppy holders filled with them...

3 hours ago, Allan said:

Yes, I remember now. I did have a bunch of these for the ST. You can see them advertised in the back of the magazine.

Hopefully someone into the STs will/have archive these. If I ever come across the 8-bit disks I will archive them onto the Net.

Right my bad I have maybe 50? of these Current Notes PD disks. We did not have Current Notes here so I assumed they were cover disks. I would not mind archiving them though, if needed. :3

Edited by Jinroh

17 minutes ago, Jinroh said:

Right my bad I have maybe 50? of these Current Notes PD disks. We did not have Current Notes here so I assumed they were cover disks. I would not mind archiving them though, if needed. :3

If you have a means of getting them from the disks to a PC/Mac please go right ahead. I doubt they are copy-protected so that is one less hurdle.

8 minutes ago, MasterMotorola said:

Allan, thanks for taking the time to scan and upload these magazines.  As a Canadian, I have never heard of this publication but it looks good and I am happy that Atarians now have more "new" material at our fingertips.

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks.

I know there were a number of Canadian Atari user group magazines. Hopefully they eventually turn up as well.

12 hours ago, MasterMotorola said:

Allan, thanks for taking the time to scan and upload these magazines.  As a Canadian, I have never heard of this publication but it looks good and I am happy that Atarians now have more "new" material at our fingertips.

Cheers,

Steve

That's interesting. A small group of people from the Toronto Atari Federation took over Current Notes when Joe Waters (the original publisher) retired. It didn't last very long, but it was a valiant effort till the end. ⚔️

I got 3 disks archived to ST files.

My USB Floppy drive died so I cannot transfer anymore to my Windows PC. :( Disassembled and tried to re-align the head, but it is a cheap junky one and meh they do not make them like they used to.

I will archive the rest on my MegaST and transfer them later. :) The 3 I have done so far, I will upload later this week.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/21/2020 at 1:38 AM, bfollowell said:

I think there's currently 39 AIM's on archive.org (only a handful are missing), but there are also 16 of the predecessor magazines, Michigan Atari Magazine and Mid-Michigan Atari Magazine from 1986 and 1987.  There are also a number of ENERGY newsletters, which is where the CHAOS club published their articles prior to launching the the Atari-dedicated magazines.

On 10/4/2020 at 8:09 AM, Allan said:

Finished posting the last of the Current Notes I got last week.

https://archive.org/details/@allan52

Allan

Man... those newest additions are fantastic, thank you for sharing Allan. It really leaves a soft spot after paging through them, especially as it was nearing the end and it was the time period when I loved Atari the most and had the most hope for Atari altogether. Lusting over the idea of owning an Atari Falcon to go alongside my Jaguar and Lynx at the time. That did not happen of course and while I would eventually end up with one many many years later, regret not having one to this day. The Toad Computers ads always had me drooling for all the software and expensive hardware as well. I would love to have a new Falcon for $799, it's such a shame they were such low volume produced machines and incredibly sought after now. When you could buy a Jaguar CD for $159 and a Falcon for $799 and now the prices have soared to $2-$3k for a Falcon and almost $1k for a JagCD. My heart....

• Like 2