IGNORED

What could this unusual piece of computer hardware be?

Hey guys. Long story short, I was cleaning out my closet and found this. I barely remember it, even though it’s mine. I haven’t taken it out or looked at it in years, and haven’t used it since probably the early to mid 90’s tops.

It sorta looks like a hard drive, but I don’t recognize  the ports. It’s encased in metal that can be opened if unscrewed

During that time period, I was into PC’s (XT, 386, and 486), Atari 8-bits, and the Atari ST. I’m posting it in this forum though, because I doubt it’s for the Ataris. I’d remember if it were, as I had very little add-ons for it.

Any ideas? I can take more pics if requested. Thanks!image.thumb.jpg.7f78217512ad7dc431e20d5d758882f5.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.7b4fc34962c9c527a52398cfddf4cb68.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.4498f19a053093f7da463d418f2027e0.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.a46a6a19a81fd7545ba9e6f1515c06ed.jpg

Good thinking, but MFM used card edge, not IDC (?) pins. These are 2x16 and 2x12 pins.

However a search on the number 1227148 yielded me a few perfect hits:

Engine Control Module (ECM) for 1986 & 1987 Buick Grand National, Turbo Regal, and 1987 GNX.

1985~1986 GM Camaro/Engine Computer Brain Box ECM ECU

Did you happen to own a such car once upon a time?

Second hand parts dealers sell these for $100-$140.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, carlsson said:

Good thinking, but MFM used card edge, not IDC (?) pins. These are 2x16 and 2x12 pins.

However a search on the number 1227148 yielded me a few perfect hits:

Engine Control Module (ECM) for 1986 & 1987 Buick Grand National, Turbo Regal, and 1987 GNX.

1985~1986 GM Camaro/Engine Computer Brain Box ECM ECU

Did you happen to own a such car once upon a time?

Second hand parts dealers sell these for $100-$140.

Thank you so much! Yes, I did have Grand Nationals back in the day. I had likely upgraded it, and put this away. After a decade, I forgot and assumed it was some sort of hard drive. I’d sell it but I have no way of testing it lol. Anyway, thanks again!

• Like 3

On 5/20/2020 at 12:34 PM, Zap! said:

Thank you so much! Yes, I did have Grand Nationals back in the day. I had likely upgraded it, and put this away. After a decade, I forgot and assumed it was some sort of hard drive. I’d sell it but I have no way of testing it lol. Anyway, thanks again!

But dont you wish you had the ability to test it.................:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Goochman said:

But dont you wish you had the ability to test it.................:)

Oh, you bet. I miss my Grand Nationals so much, especially the 1987. It was the ultimate 80's car. To this day, the 1986 and 1987 Grand Nationals are the only mass-production GM cars to ever beat out the Corvette in performance. GM likes to have the Corvette come out on top every year. This is one of the many reasons why the GN is very expensive today.

Here's a 2001 pic of me sitting on my car. I would later go on to replace the rims to stock.

ter-gn-sandyhook.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/20/2020 at 10:34 AM, Zap! said:

Thank you so much! Yes, I did have Grand Nationals back in the day. I had likely upgraded it, and put this away. After a decade, I forgot and assumed it was some sort of hard drive. 

It is stories like this that make me want to re-explore the boxes in my storage unit. I remember packing those boxes almost twenty years ago when my Parents sold their house, but I have long since forgotten the specific contents. 

• Like 2

I'm sure somewhere there is a PC based interface to communicate with a ECM, for one reason or another. I don't know how reprogrammable/flashable these are, if a well equipped car shop would have the tools to access it. Also I don't know why you would have changed it, unless it was determined to be broken, you neeeded a spare part and kept this one for memorabilia.

• Like 2

On 5/22/2020 at 8:38 AM, carlsson said:

I'm sure somewhere there is a PC based interface to communicate with a ECM, for one reason or another. I don't know how reprogrammable/flashable these are, if a well equipped car shop would have the tools to access it. Also I don't know why you would have changed it, unless it was determined to be broken, you neeeded a spare part and kept this one for memorabilia.

Unfortunately it was lost in a fire in 2002. I sold it whole for $1,800 or so, which is insane considering it was destroyed from the front to the dash. I probably pulled the ECU before I sold it, unless I modified it and kept the old one. I can't remember.

• Sad 2