IGNORED

Indus GT issues

8bitold

I got an Indus GT after I got a Rana 1000. And compared the Rana, the Indus was much better. I really did not have any issues with it at all.

Sorry not much help, but it was (and with the new ROMs and mods still is) a pretty nice drive.

1 hour ago, 8bitold said:

Hello all,

Ok. I will start with a question. What kind of problems did everyone have with the Indus GT and (if possible) what did you do to fix them?

1. None with the one I bought many years ago, until my cousin took it.

2. None with a nice one I bought used, a few years ago.

3. Display-led segment (simple repair) with a one I restored from other's parts (which I never thought it would work!)

288 rpms +/- 0.3, all day long... both equipped with 64 KB RamCharger boards, track-buffering, and running CP/M.

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

1. None with the one I bought many years ago, until my cousin took it.

2. None with a nice one I bought used, a few years ago.

3. Display-led segment (simple repair) with a one I restored from other's parts (which I never thought it would work!)

288 rpms +/- 0.3, all day long... both equipped with 64 KB RamCharger boards, track-buffering, and running CP/M.

WOW. Running CP/M. That is cool. 

• Like 1

my Indus had a bad ROM socket, causing intermittent operation.

I replaced the socket, updated the ROM and its been fine ever since.

Also, make sure you use a 12v DC power supply. I used a 9v one for a bit and it was less reliable, changed to a 12v and it instantly became robust.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, slx said:

I'd think the most unreliable or break-prone part is the smoked plexiglass screen which is often warped on units seen for sale and likely to break and hard to repair if handled carelessly. 

Secure it to a flat surface on the STRAIGHT end. Warped end sticking up. Put a large fishing sinker or some weight on there. Let it sit for months, or blow a hair dryer on it to make it faster. [NOT] too hot. Absolutely NO [HEAT GUN]. You can bubble, distort or warp it. Be careful.

:)

I had the drive belt disintergrate on mine.  Since it is the same Tandom mechanism used in the 1050, I got a replacement from Best.  It worked fine.  I also upgraded the main ROM when I fixed the drive belt.  The updated ROM reduced the busy time after IO completes so the drive stops spinning.

I also installed a Super Charger.  I used CP/M to play Zork and also run Turbo Pascal.  I was quite impressed with TP, it behaved pretty much exactly as I remember the DOS version.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/23/2020 at 2:15 PM, gilsaluki said:

This discussion made me dig my original GT out of the closet and try and get it repaired.  Cosmetically, it is in excellent condition.  Powers up, but will not spin up.  Who knows?

Yeah, well, Paul has made my old Indus purrr again.  New controller chip, alignment, etc.  Received his A-T-A-R-I disk full of AW+ updates.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 8:53 AM, gilsaluki said:

Yeah, well, Paul has made my old Indus purrr again.  New controller chip, alignment, etc.  Received his A-T-A-R-I disk full of AW+ updates.

Do you have contact information ?  My Indus reads intermittently.... and i'd like to get it so it would be 100% where I can offload to an SDMAX all the files that I have.

3 hours ago, irwinpks said:

Do you have contact information ?  My Indus reads intermittently.... and i'd like to get it so it would be 100% where I can offload to an SDMAX all the files that I have.

Post #10 contains enough information for an internet search.

On 5/21/2020 at 2:42 PM, 8bitold said:

Hello all,

Ok. I will start with a question. What kind of problems did everyone have with the Indus GT and (if possible) what did you do to fix them?

The power switch on our Indus became very loose. Eventually a friend fixed it. Not sure what he did.

15 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

Does Paul want his address to be posted in the open?  Especially his mail address?  Could be a spam-magnet if you post it like that.

Sincerely

Mathy

The address is all over the net.  It is in many magazine articles from Atari Interface, Atari Classics, Current Notes, etc, etc.  I even found his phone number on the net and spoke to him personally.  He still sells utility disks and Atariwriter Plus Companion disks.  So, yeah.  His address is okay to provide here.