IGNORED

TRON: Legacy Alpha Beta Demo Game ROM for Intellivision

The time has come for me to share this labor of love with you. It’s somewhere between an Alpha and a Beta project, so please enjoy it as such. It’s a love letter of a game to TRON: Legacy and the soundtrack from Daft Punk, downloadable below. Also below is the complete set of files that were worked on to code this game in both IntyBASIC and in assembler language. It’s completely playable in your favorite Intellivision emulator or on an LTO Flash! cartridge on your genuine Intellivision hardware.

===

Now, for the details.

First thing, though, is that I know you will be passionate about asking me to do upgrades, tweaks, and gameplay modifications to make this better. And justifiably so. Thing is, I haven’t worked on this in over a year and a half. I don’t remember how to even load up the darn thing in IntyBASIC anymore, so I can’t do anything to improve this project any longer. I released it all here so that the folks that are indeed knowledgable about what to do with this project can take up the gauntlet and continue to make this product better for all of our enjoyment. There are many smart people on this forum, much smarter than I am, that hopefully will enjoy this project as much as I did and elevate it to the next level.

What you see here wouldn’t be possible, at all, without the contributions of some incredible AtariAge members. They include, but aren’t limited to:

DZ-Jay: his contributions to the assembler language portions of this project are amazing.

carlson: contributed character animation code for Sam and the Recognizers.

Nanochess: contributed the entire demo project included with IntyBASIC - and IntyBASIC!

CrossBow: helped play test the game over its iterations and did the video capture.

===

Gameplay

You are Sam Flynn, captured by the evil C.L.U. and forced onto the game grid. Dropped into an endless runner-style game with 25 repeating mazes, C.L.U. stand and watches as four Recognizers pursue you through each progressive maze you complete. Your only defense against the Recognizers is to lure them into the surrounding grid walls, as they will derez as they finishing passing over them. But the walls will derez you too, so be careful! If you’re lucky, you might also catch them standing by on stationary patrol and be able to pass by them without being chased down!

This game is an endless runner, which means C.L.U. will eventually get you through his dispatched Recognizers. It really is like the sirens said: the only thing you are supposed to do is “survive”!

===

Behind The Scenes

Ok, the reason the Recognizers cut some slack from time to time is really because of bad coding on my part. They should chase you all the time, but I couldn’t get it to work right. And, of course, now I don’t know anything more than a goat about how to fix it. Not like riding a bicycles, this coding is.

I coded in the music by ear from listening to the soundtrack. I love Daft Punk.

One way to say this would be to say that C.L.U. plays dirty sometimes and spawns the Recognizers right next to you when you appear in a new maze. Another way to say it would be to say I wasn’t able to back them off and get them to still move. At all. Someone will know what to do.

You’ll notice that you often exit one part of the maze but always spawn at the same coordinates when you enter the next screen. Someone will know how to give this continuity and spawn Sam where he exits the previous maze or something similar (opposite side).

===

Last, But Not Least…

TRON: Legacy is a Disney property. I’ve never sold this, will never sell it, and you shouldn’t sell it either. It’s a love letter to the film and meant for all of us to enjoy for free as fans of the Intellivision.

If you work on it, and make it better, feel free to take my name off of the title screen and put yours in there. I don’t need credit, and if you contribute to its improvement, you should be credited as such.

I hope you enjoy playing with this project. It was tremendous fun for me. I should have put this out there sooner than the December 2018 date that I stopped working on it. I thought I’d lost the project code files due to failure of a backup drive. Turns out, they were still preserved in the PMs right here on AtariAge.

Thanks for giving this a try on your own Intellivision or emulator. I hope you dig it. I love the Intellivision and always will. It was the first console my father ever bought me all those 40 years ago.

- Blaine

tronleg.rom tronleg.zip

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Blaine,

This looks awesome! (sounds awesome too)

I hope you are going to continue working on this.  Though it looks pretty complete.

I think you could randomly change from recognizer to Guards just to add a little more Tron to it.

Also,  does it have an END of line!  LOL  That is, a BOSS level?   

in Jzintv, more often than not, the recognizers don't move, has anyone else found this?  and the guy is always facing right, even when he runs left.

Some of you programmer whizzes give Blaine a few tips here, he has the makings of a cool game potentially.

3 hours ago, blainelocklair said:

The time has come for me to share this labor of love with you. It’s somewhere between an Alpha and a Beta project, so please enjoy it as such. It’s a love letter of a game to TRON: Legacy and the soundtrack from Daft Punk, downloadable below. Also below is the complete set of files that were worked on to code this game in both IntyBASIC and in assembler language. It’s completely playable in your favorite Intellivision emulator or on an LTO Flash! cartridge on your genuine Intellivision hardware.

===

Now, for the details.

First thing, though, is that I know you will be passionate about asking me to do upgrades, tweaks, and gameplay modifications to make this better. And justifiably so. Thing is, I haven’t worked on this in over a year and a half. I don’t remember how to even load up the darn thing in IntyBASIC anymore, so I can’t do anything to improve this project any longer. I released it all here so that the folks that are indeed knowledgable about what to do with this project can take up the gauntlet and continue to make this product better for all of our enjoyment. There are many smart people on this forum, much smarter than I am, that hopefully will enjoy this project as much as I did and elevate it to the next level.

What you see here wouldn’t be possible, at all, without the contributions of some incredible AtariAge members. They include, but aren’t limited to:

DZ-Jay: his contributions to the assembler language portions of this project are amazing.

carlson: contributed character animation code for Sam and the Recognizers.

Nanochess: contributed the entire demo project included with IntyBASIC - and IntyBASIC!

CrossBow: helped play test the game over its iterations and did the video capture.

===

Gameplay

You are Sam Flynn, captured by the evil C.L.U. and forced onto the game grid. Dropped into an endless runner-style game with 25 repeating mazes, C.L.U. stand and watches as four Recognizers pursue you through each progressive maze you complete. Your only defense against the Recognizers is to lure them into the surrounding grid walls, as they will derez as they finishing passing over them. But the walls will derez you too, so be careful! If you’re lucky, you might also catch them standing by on stationary patrol and be able to pass by them without being chased down!

This game is an endless runner, which means C.L.U. will eventually get you through his dispatched Recognizers. It really is like the sirens said: the only thing you are supposed to do is “survive”!

===

Behind The Scenes

Ok, the reason the Recognizers cut some slack from time to time is really because of bad coding on my part. They should chase you all the time, but I couldn’t get it to work right. And, of course, now I don’t know anything more than a goat about how to fix it. Not like riding a bicycles, this coding is.

I coded in the music by ear from listening to the soundtrack. I love Daft Punk.

One way to say this would be to say that C.L.U. plays dirty sometimes and spawns the Recognizers right next to you when you appear in a new maze. Another way to say it would be to say I wasn’t able to back them off and get them to still move. At all. Someone will know what to do.

You’ll notice that you often exit one part of the maze but always spawn at the same coordinates when you enter the next screen. Someone will know how to give this continuity and spawn Sam where he exits the previous maze or something similar (opposite side).

===

Last, But Not Least…

TRON: Legacy is a Disney property. I’ve never sold this, will never sell it, and you shouldn’t sell it either. It’s a love letter to the film and meant for all of us to enjoy for free as fans of the Intellivision.

If you work on it, and make it better, feel free to take my name off of the title screen and put yours in there. I don’t need credit, and if you contribute to its improvement, you should be credited as such.

I hope you enjoy playing with this project. It was tremendous fun for me. I should have put this out there sooner than the December 2018 date that I stopped working on it. I thought I’d lost the project code files due to failure of a backup drive. Turns out, they were still preserved in the PMs right here on AtariAge.

Thanks for giving this a try on your own Intellivision or emulator. I hope you dig it. I love the Intellivision and always will. It was the first console my father ever bought me all those 40 years ago.

- Blaine

tronleg.rom 19.56 kB · 10 downloads tronleg.zip 353.9 kB · 6 downloads

I had a look at the code, you can easily fix the player start location to be more intuitive. Similar to Berzerk, if you exit top left moving vertical you should start at the bottom left corner of the next maze. Some of your room designs appear to prevent that. So it might be easier to just define a couple of spots in each room where Sam can then Rez in, pick one at random then animate Sam Rezzing in. PM me if you want a better explanation. 

12 hours ago, Steve Jones said:

in Jzintv, more often than not, the recognizers don't move, has anyone else found this?  and the guy is always facing right, even when he runs left.

Some of you programmer whizzes give Blaine a few tips here, he has the makings of a cool game potentially.

This is one of the issues that Blaine wasn't able to get resolved and he is hinting at this in his original post. It isn't the emulator that is at fault as it does it on Nostalgia as well which is what I used when I shot that video capture of me playing it for Blaine.

• Like 1