IGNORED

April Fools Day Gag or Real

gilsaluki

I wouldn't expect it to happen any day soon, just look at how the new Atari VCS has been delayed over and over again.

And then I have to ask where do they plan on getting the money to do this? Because they can't even bring out a game console without making it a kick starter project (or whatever the name was of the crowd sourcing). Sorry to say I don't think you can build a hotel with crowd sourced money.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mytek said:

I wouldn't expect it to happen any day soon, just look at how the new Atari VCS has been delayed over and over again.

And then I have to ask where do they plan on getting the money to do this? Because they can't even bring out a game console without making it a kick starter project (or whatever the name was of the crowd sourcing). Sorry to say I don't think you can build a hotel with crowd sourced money.

This is why I thought this to be a gag, joke.  The old Atari hardly ever lived up to their pre-production hype.  Ghost ware, etc.   Atari Interactive cannot be that flush with funds to venture into 8 brand new hotels.  I am sure they are thinking they will raise the funds via a consortium or franchise it out.  But given their history, I am not sure it will come to fruition.  With the pandemic, it has even less of a chance.  

22 minutes ago, RAM said:

Atari doesn't mean anything any more, just a word to stick on any crazy idea the inept rights holders can think up.

Yes I think that's exactly what's going on here as well. Apparently it's only their name that's being used, with someone else actually footing the bill and running the operation. Atari the name is just being slapped on it for promotional effect and nothing more.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mytek said:

where do they plan on getting the money to do this?

From what I remember, Atari would only license out their brand to existing or new hotels, i.e. they would not build or operate any hotels of their own. In that way, the costs are minimal but the possible earnings are secured.

1 hour ago, mytek said:

Yes I think that's exactly what's going on here as well. Apparently it's only their name that's being used, with someone else actually footing the bill and running the operation. Atari the name is just being slapped on it for promotional effect and nothing more.

I can imagine turning up to the hotel, asking where all the games are and being told "Sir, we don't allow video games in this hotel." That would be typical Atari! ?

• Like 1