IGNORED

I just came in here to say Space Dungeon is excellent

unoclay

8 hours ago, unoclay said:

Anyone interested in a friendly high score competition for Space Dungeon?  Take a run at the game (or 20) and post a screenshot here of your best score?

I'll do it. I still have one of my controller holders and I used to own SD (and also Robotron) on cart until getting both the ROM and (re-acquiring earlier this year) the Atarimax multicart back in 2018.

• Like 1

Ok High Score Challenge, if anyone is game.  I'll start it off with a bang.  Just had my (by FAR) best game so far.  I play better when i know there's a competition.

Please do post some scores.  Would be cool to see a score race get going.

R.O.B. approves, even though its an Atari joint

Photo009.thumb.jpg.beac8ad028a79d822f7a2ca0cd872fd9.jpg

When I was a kid I ALWAYS wanted 5200 Robotron but I could never find it for sale in any catalog, and of course they didn't sell it locally. What DID show up under the christmas tree one time though was Space Dungeon (I'm really not sure why sears/jcpenny would have SD and not Robotron). I didn't know what it was either but I was open to try and it was really the year of Space Dungeon after that. That game alone is a huge part of my video game childhood life ?

• Like 2

On 5/30/2020 at 9:21 PM, BIGHMW said:

I'll do it. I still have one of my controller holders and I used to own SD (and also Robotron) on cart until getting both the ROM and (re-acquiring earlier this year) the Atarimax multicart back in 2018.

Sigh, i wish somebody would post some scores and get this going

On 6/7/2020 at 10:32 PM, unoclay said:

Well i guess if nobody challenges my high score posted in the screenshot above, im officially the AA all time champ of Space Dungeon?

:gauntlet thrown:

Decent score but you aren't even close! Try beating 945k!  The 5200 HSC just did SD last October, and a few times before that over the years. Maybe check if SD could reappear for the next HSC or HSC OE challenge? 

• 1 year later...
On 5/22/2020 at 12:14 PM, TeddyBear89 said:

The 5200 version wins in all three categories:

1. Graphics - the 7800 is blocky and gets a little choppy (although not as bad as the 5200) when there is a lot happening

2. Sound - while the 7800 system as a whole suffers from inferior sound capabilities, the 5200 sound is pretty near arcade-perfect.  Or at least how I recall it

3. Controls- I primarily use Gemsticks for my 2600/7800 gaming and these sticks are pretty rigid.  In using two joysticks (the preferred method) you'd need to really secure them into some type of homemade set-up to keep them from popping out in the heat of play.  I know that Atari made a plastic coupler (like the 5200) for this but imagine it would lead to the same frustrating issue of the sticks just not being secured enough.  The much-softer touch needed for controlling your guy on the 5200 is the better way to go.

Props to the 7800 version for being able to use one controller but it really isn't the same playing experience.

Just one dude's opinion, of course.....

For the first time in video gaming website history, a member will do the unthinkable........admit that they were wrong.

Within the past 48 hours I have played both the 5200 and 7800 Robotron and am fully qualified to say that it's a tie!

Graphics, sound....5200 wins hands down.  Yes, play does get a little choppy when a lot is happening on screen.  The 5200 dual controls are very nice too.  But my recent epiphany came when I strapped in TWO 7800 Prolines into my homemade holder.....just wow!  These stiff, otherwise very uncomfortable joysticks were made to be played with 7800 Robotron!  It was a better game playing experience using these sticks.

To kind of quote Rocky IV....."I can change, you can change.......we can all change!"

7800.jpg

• Like 1