IGNORED

Dude Story - WIP

MrFish

Thanks for share the info. It's my new game project, but it's very early WIP. It will be game with a big world, and big adventure scenario.
I wanted to show only some graphics, and hero's animation of walk in that world.

This is Dude walking:

Dude-walk.gif.5e15ca1af433cc69ea2112baadc3def9.gif
I think the game will be ready in a few months, or in about a year.

I attach here the same file as I attached on atarionline.pl

This WIP is in Polish only, but when the game will be ready, then it will be available in English too.
Addidionaly there is a movie from that xex:

DudeStory20200521.xex

Edited by Mq.
  • Like 20

• 9 months later...
On 5/22/2020 at 4:41 PM, Mq. said:

Thanks for share the info. It's my new game project, but it's very early WIP. It will be game with a big world, and big adventure scenario.
I wanted to show only some graphics, and hero's animation of walk in that world.

This is Dude walking:

Dude-walk.gif.5e15ca1af433cc69ea2112baadc3def9.gif
I think the game will be ready in a few months, or in about a year.

I attach here the same file as I attached on atarionline.pl

This WIP is in Polish only, but when the game will be ready, then it will be available in English too.
Addidionaly there is a movie from that xex:

DudeStory20200521.xex 20.48 kB · 26 downloads

That looks pretty far along. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

One of the things I really like about this WIP is there are backgrounds. Most Atari platform games lack backgrounds and are generally black or just colors, like the recently released Albert. Actual scenic backgrounds, no matter how simple, are a rare breed on the Atari. Crownland has them, and few others. Parallax backgrounds are even rarer on platformers. Scrolling platform games were also rare at one time, but we seem to be getting more of those, so that is nice.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

I did a lot of next steps in my work on the game. I decided to don't publish more xexes in mid time, then I want to publish complete demo version, which will be playable part of a full game. That demo will have all elements of animations, possibilities of the game, and some part of scenario. I planed to publish that demo in december 2020, but it is a lot of work on it, and I'm still working...
For now I have finished animations of background in the forest, lot of background graphics, animations of every Dude movements, improved Dude's steering, collecting items, collisions with enemies, some animated enemies like spiders, wasps etc.
What else... I have title screen, game over screen, music for tittle, music for the forest in game, sound fxes.
Additionaly I spend a lot of time on optimalisation (I think it's about 90% of all programming time).
The game is prepared to work on PAL and NTSC all the time, so I spend a lot of time on fitting it to NTSC, bacause I'm programming for PAL first.
For now I attach few samples from the actual game state as a gifs. Take a look on it:)

fullscreen.gif

osa.gif

pajaki.gif

dude.gif

Edited by Mq.
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 2

Standard Atari with 64kB. Demo version will work on such standard for sure, and I will have about 20kB free RAM yet, for build in the rest of game scenario. Now I'm still working on optimization to fit full game in 64kB, but I don't know if it will be possible, so maybe full version will require 128kB in file xex version, but there will be cartridge version too, which will work on 64kB standard Atari for sure.

• Like 10

I forgot to say, there is a working mechanism (already done) in the game, that allows to meet other characters. That characters are animated too, and Dude can speak with them. There is a dialog screen with graphics of characters. It looks like a last gif with big Dude I attached in previous post. There will be much texts, and the game will be in two language versions: Polish and English. I think this language versions will be separate because of amount of text. Speaking with characters will give a tips and hints to walkthrough the game. Interactions with characters couse a progress of the game, and gives a next tasks and quests for a Dude.
Finaly the world construction is that you can get in the rooms, caves, another maps etc. Each map is scrolled as you could saw in very first movie a few months ago. Demo game will have about 20 screens of world for walking, and a full game will have about 100 screens I think.

I don't want to show every things I described here, graphics of rooms, worlds etc, bacause I want users to have a lot of surprises and fun of discovering the game themeself. So for now be a patient, demo will be available soon.

Edited by Mq.
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Hahaha :)

Between the lines I wrote about cartridges I designed and actually I'm building, but in the meantime an cartridges are intended for another game, which will be published first. It is not my game, so I don't tell any more here about it.

About Dude Story I have good news I think. I'm working on the game, and successively I have constant progress, but my first vision of this game was to big I think, and I wanted to place in one game to much things at a time. I decided to simplify scenario, which I changed quite hard. That decision let me see the way I will finish game, because in the erlier scenario I didn't see the end of that project. I just didn't expect it to be so much work doing all the game by myself.
So, the main answer is: no Dude Story will not be publicate in July, but I hope to publish it this year, maybe on autumn.
But don't worry, I keep working, and there will come the day when the world will see Dude Story:)

Edited by Mq.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mq. said:

Hahaha :)

Between the lines I wrote about cartridges I designed and actually I'm building, but in the meantime an cartridges are intended for another game, which will be published first. It is not my game, so I don't tell any more here about it.

About Dude Story I have good news I think. I'm working on the game, and successively I have constant progress, but my first vision of this game was to big I think, and I wanted to place in one game to much things at a time. I decided to simplify scenario, which I changed quite hard. That decision let me see the way I will finish game, because in the erlier scenario I didn't see the end of that project. I just didn't expect it to be so much work doing all the game by myself.
So, the main answer is: no Dude Story will not be publicate in July, but I hope to publish it this year, maybe on autumn.
But don't worry, I keep working, and there will come the day when the world will see Dude Story:)

@Mq. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to it. Good luck :grin: 

Hello @Mq.

Let me tell you about the perfect time to work on Dude Story.  You'll be surrounded but the Who's Who of the Atari 8 bit scene.  The surroundings are very nice, the people are very nice.  It lasts a whole week this year.  And yes, it's not around the corner, but it takes me an hour longer to get there than Google maps tells me it would taken you.  And that's when I'm not counting the time it takes me to pick up luckybuck.  It'll take place from Sunday the 12th until Sunday the 19th of September, in 08485 Lengenfeld, Germany.  O yes, and it's called the Fujiama.

Sincerely

Mathy

• 1 year later...

Bit of an update from Mq on Atarionline.pl he just put up in the last hour for anyone following the progress of this cool looking title.

https://atarionline.pl/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=5791&page=2

Good luck with finishing coding the game Mq.:)

This was the last video from 2021 where the guys are playing the WIP Dude Story demo among other games btw:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you @Beeblebrox

The work is still in progress.

By the way in the video you attached, there was a FloB premiere and a preview of Dude Story. You can see there @bocianu (FloB's author), and me:-)

Dude Story is shown from about 5:40:00 to about 7:30:00

Additionaly from about 9:20:00 to about 10:20:00, I'm playing Agent USA, and I'm finishing it 😃

• Like 3

@Mq.

No worries. Game looks great in the 2021 demo the guys are playing. Looks a very well rounded, colourful and engaging game. I echo the general priase for the cartoon style graphics. Very nice. I also particularly like being able to interact with characters which gives the game another dimension and a story line.

If you have any more screens of the latest progess to share and want to put them up here then cool. (Of course I know you want to keep many aspects of the game as a surprise naturally).

Good luck tweaking the game engine, etc. IMHO the 64K vs 128K min spec for the final game should maybe approached in the same way as Resoup did with PoP in going for a 128K min requirement. Given the various elements of the game you are looking to squeeze in, if the game content and engine benefits from 128k I'd aim for that and create a fantastic game. As opposed to cutting things out in order to squeeze it into 64k.

The URL of the video I posted above actually auto starts at 5.40 to save anyone finding it btw.

Flob is one of my all time fav new Atari games.

I'll check Agent USA out.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1