IGNORED

Good file copy utilities disk-to-disk type

For regular GEM desktop usage, Kobold was my favorite. Super fast and reliable. Can be used as a program or accessory.

If you're talking about cracking, I think the hardware/software combo of the Ultimate Ripper is good. I have one but have not used it extensively.

XCopy for non-copy-protected disks.  Blitz Copier for copy-protected disks - you need a special adaptor to use it though:

http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/Blitz_Copier

But there isn't much need to go down this road if you have a digital solution.  Some people like to do things the old-fashioned way just for fun but this can be very time-consuming and it takes quite a lot of trial and error with different settings before you can get a working back-up.  It can be a lot of fun looking for the various thumbprints that the developers left to make things difficult for copiers; everything from garbled music and sound to "Insert Disk 3 - So long sucker!"

Edited by English Invader

If copy program can create disk image then there are at least 2 benefits of it:

1. Can save it on hard disk, what is much more reliable. Or even put online. And can use it later, when copy goes bad from whatever reason.

2. Can compare image done from copy with image of original (source) - that will show possible errors.

To add that I made images of all my floppies back in period 1998-2005, and I have it all, and can write to floppy whenever want. What is btw. not so common now, since there are other ways, even on old Atari.

"quite a lot of trial and error with different settings" - some programs are really not easy to use. For instance a lot praised Fast Copy Pro is one of them, which had problems ( v. 3 if remember correct) with some floppy drives too.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all, while I have been using Fcopy, it basically copies a disk to a new disk, retaining format, etc.  What I am looking for is a copy program where I can use a formatted disk and copy files of my choice to another floppy, often one that already has files on it.  So not a disk copier but a file copier.