IGNORED

Atari 5200 Controller Alternatives

I've really been wanting an Atari 5200, but what has held me back are the controllers with their infamous poor build quality. I've done some searching online and found a couple of alternatives. Forgive me if their old news, but I think that it'd be great if these were offered for sell through the AtariAge Store. Not as kits but fully built and ready to use.

Alternative 1

RetroRGB Controller

It looks nice, but what's the build quality like? It appears that this controller can be purchased either in kit form or ready to use.

Alternative 2

Atari Jaguar to 5200 Conversion Controller

Looks comfy. I've always liked the Jaguar Controller, and $89.99 seems like a reasonable price.

Which of these Controllers is best? Can't these controllers be offered via the AtariAge Store? 

20 hours ago, cessnaace said:

I've really been wanting an Atari 5200, but what has held me back are the controllers with their infamous poor build quality.

Just spruce up some CX52 controllers and you're good to go. The tinfoil method is a piece of cake and costs basically nothing.

The controllers themselves are actually quite robust physically; it's the flex circuit/carbon contact tandem that causes so many problems.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, stupus said:

Well both are sold out....so probably not?

The Jaguar Conversion Controller doesn't appear to be out of stock. In fact the site indicates that there are 3 In Stock and that it can be back-ordered. Or did I miss something?

16 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

Someone local to me has a 5200 with 2 sets of the wico with keypads. He wants 350 Canadian for everything though. I'm not a 5200 guy but that seems pricey to me

Screenshot_20200524-084720_Facebook.jpg

That's approx. $250 U.S. Dollars. Two sets of wico controllers make it a bit tempting, but I currently don't have that kind of money laying around. :(

• Like 1