IGNORED

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Simius

4 hours ago, Simius said:

If you want to connect a VGA monitor, you need a standard DVI2VGA cable. Like on the picture:

Are you sure? As these cables require that the analog output pins of the DVI connector are utilized. If this is a fully digital device, then nothing will feed the analog output and you need a digital monitor input.

Turned in to a pre order / show of interest thread a couple of pages back and THEN Simius said he would open a new thread. In my case I don't want him to transfer my order twice....

Edited by Mclaneinc

57 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

When did this turn into a pre-order thread? I’m sure many us (me included) want one, but Simius said he’d open a new thread. 

It's like kids in a candy store: you can't expect them to read the candy-maker's words when there might be candy to be had!

4 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

Turned in to a pre order / show of interest thread a couple of pages back and THEN Simius said he would open a new thread. In my case I don't want him to transfer my order twice....

It was never a pre-order/show-interest thread.  Simius was just making an announcement and people jumped to conclusions.

Oh for goodness sake, how many times do people instantly show interest in a product in one of these threads and no one moans, now suddenly its snipping for silly reasons. Now I know most of us are pissed with being indoors and I'm sat here waiting for a cancer consultation over the phone but lets just chill out. We will all get one....

And please lets not not pick about what the thread is, I'm sure Simius posted it to bring it to our attention and maybe just maybe to see how it was received..

As I sit here almost shaking I look at this and see a load of people looking to buy off a dev, a real happy event and yet no one said a thing when people started showing interest regardless of the thread type. I've been on here a long time, longer than many and not as long as some and to see snipes at people who are really delighted with a product based over how others want to see perfectly formed thread is a now low on here.

Wow, don't show your enthusiasm for a product because it might annoy some..Seriously...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

“Interest” is fine, but when half the posts in the last two pages seem to be one guy trying to get in yet ANOTHER post in about how interested he is, and trying to clarify details of his order - even though it’s not a pre-order thread - it becomes tiresome for those who would rather hear more technical info from Simius, Michael, and the rest of the folks discussing what’s needed to install and connect to various displays, what issues in stock GTIA chips are corrected or worked around, etc.

• Like 4

It's simple, just rename the thread...

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement discussion

create another thread...

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement pre-order/interest

put a link to the pre-order interest thread in the first post...

then have an administrator move all the 'I'm interested, I'm ordering 3' posts into the pre-order/interest thread...

then flag/delete all the hissy pissy posts...

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

“Interest” is fine, but when half the posts in the last two pages seem to be one guy trying to get in yet ANOTHER post in about how interested he is, and trying to clarify details of his order - even though it’s not a pre-order thread - it becomes tiresome for those who would rather hear more technical info from Simius, Michael, and the rest of the folks discussing what’s needed to install and connect to various displays, what issues in stock GTIA chips are corrected or worked around, etc.

Ah, so the issue is with me wanting to make sure any orders transferred to a new thread are not doubled..So three possibly 4 posts..

Was I not also asking about cabling etc, oh those don't count......I didn't want to ask too much incase that got in the way of the thread, I just didn't want 2 put aside for me when it could go to someone else NO MATTER what the thread is..

No, regardless of that is ok with you I did it simply to help out..Just be happy we buy from our devs, your chatter just just feels like you have an issue with me...Please leave it alone, I have enough on my plate..

Albert etc please remove all my posts...

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hello @Simius

Funny, I was just looking for RGB solution for my 65XE and heard about the mysterious Zoska, sorry, Sophia :)

I connect to CRT TV via SCART. I see this one sports a DVI output. Is there a way to connect it to my TV or should I look for some other revision?

I'm also in PL if that helps, thanks!

DVI-D  contains digital signals only, DVI-I has four additional pins carrying analogue information, in addition to the digital signals , I also note that the picture of the DVI-I connector Simius posted now carries what appears to be a 16Way connector for the ribbon cable, the original Sophia was only a 10 way connector

It's worth a look at this for those that like the technical side

DVI Connectors (All standard sizes) on Wikipedia

DVI_pinout.svg.png

For SCART or Analog output 5 phono's  

Buy a DVI-I to VGA cable, or DVI-I to DVI-I (but usually expensive as carrys digital signals) , and cut off the plug .

I'll add pinouts at somepoint. SCART will need a small circuit added to supply control voltage if you want automatic RGB switching on SCART input.

Just a Point I'd like to raise.

My Post and I'll quote this

"Simius

The order will be three for me now, as buying one for McLaneinc

"

Please note the wording ' The order will be three'       

I have not as yet ordered any as Simius has yet to post on this Topic, however the idea is to show my interest for the number that I'd along with a good friend would like to purchase when they are available.

I'm sure that Simius will be able to use the information posted by myself and approximatly 10 others, and I hope its of some value when sorting out the number of circuit boards to initially manufacture.

Edited by Simply_Graham
Added Pinout and SCART comment
  • Like 1

Still have the DVI port on my Sophia hanging out the back of the PBI opening on my 800xl. I was recently asking a friend for assistance in mounting it officially and was showing it off a bit. I said "It doesn't get better than this" --- So.... I was wrong. This is all very impressive. I can't wait to get one in hand.

One of my 800XL machines is a stock PAL machine.  Whenever I use it I have to hook it up to a modern flat screen tv because my CRT monitors are all NTSC only.

Will the Sophia 2 allow me to connect my PAL 800xl to a NTSC CRT monitor? 

If so,  count me in! 

-Eric

24 minutes ago, erichenneke said:

One of my 800XL machines is a stock PAL machine.  Whenever I use it I have to hook it up to a modern flat screen tv because my CRT monitors are all NTSC only.

What flat screen TV are you using that you’re able to display PAL? I haven’t had luck finding any US TV that will display PAL without being black and white or a rolling picture. 

Bob C

• Like 1

In my experience it is rather a roll of the dice. I would say much less than a half accept 50Hz. Fortunately, specifications are not always reliable. Usually claims that V freq is from 56Hz up. Despite this 50Hz is sometimes accepted. For example - DELL U3014, DELL U2913WM, LG W2600H.

Unfortunately, not in general, and the results may be very mixed. Some monitors will show a screen, but it may be not aligned, or scrolled out of the bottom of the monitor due to lack of proper synchronization or alignment. Thus, you can get everything between "a perfect picture", "a partial picture, showing only the top-half of the screen" and "no picture at all".

9 hours ago, Rybags said:

A question for PAL machine owners who already have DVI capability:  Do LCD monitors generally accept a 50 Hz signal or is it a roll of the dice?

A few years ago most US monitors didn't accept a 50Hz refresh rate. But lately it is becoming more and more common. This is in part thanks to the advent of variable/adaptive refresh rate standards. Note that it doesn't have much to do with the quality or the brand. I have a cheap small portable monitor that accepts almost any kind of signal.

• Like 1