IGNORED

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Simius

How to mount the Sophia 2 on the Atari 800 - the story in 8 pictures.

1. Replace GTIA with the Sophia 2. Use a new, precision socket.

2. Cut a gap with an angle grinder.

3. Remove a channel switch, bead and two axial 2200uF capacitors. Mount the bead on the bottom side of the MB.

4. Cut a hole in the bezel for the DVI connector.

5. Drill two 1mm holes next (5mm) to the old + holes for radial 2200uF capacitors and mount them with two additional wires.

6. Stick the DVI board with a 3M adhesive tape (~2.5mm thick)

7. That's it. 

20201201_143802.jpg

20201201_143915.jpg

20201201_144753.jpg

20201201_185242.jpg

20201201_185302.jpg

20201201_185326.jpg

20201201_185631.jpg

20201201_190714.jpg

Edited by Simius
  • Like 12

Very Nice @Simius ! I just recently diverted all my I/O from the side of my 800 to underneath though, so I'll use all your tips except Shield slit and DVI connector locations when I get mine! I'll definitely have to be creative with where I mount it, but wherever I mount it, one of these DVI-to-HDMI adapters will be more or less permanently connected to the DVI port on the 800:

IMG_20201201_210910.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

13 hours ago, Almerian said:

That looks great!

You will not see the connector when a DVI cable is attached.

For obvious reasons, you can't spray paint the metal and plastic parts of the DVI connector. But with patience and a brush you can paint the white plastic part.

Black sharpie marker!

• Like 1

On 12/5/2020 at 11:01 PM, Simius said:

Important information, as there appears a doubts about a board orientation. This is pin 1.

Sophia2_pin1.jpg

I may be wrong but that appears to be correct if looking at the top of GTIA/Sophia2, it appears from the top picture in post #151 that the ribbon cable connector is located on the bottom of the board. If it is plugged into the CPU board properly in that image it would put pin 1 at the other end of the row.

20201201_143802.jpg

It also needs reminding that this image is of the older 6502 CPU board, the 6502C/Sally version has GTIA rotated 180 degrees.

Never mind, after a better comparison of the images it appears that the ribbon cable connectors are on opposite sides of the Sophia2 PCB in each picture

Edited by BillC

1 minute ago, Frankie said:

So how do you change the settings? It looks like the default resolution is something my current monitor doesn't support.

Frank

Looks like I am having a similar issue.  One of my monitor's (Dell) is saying "Out of range signal. Cannot display this video mode, change the computer display to 1600x1200 @ 60Hz"

And then another monitor (Samsung) is just showing black screen.

This is via DVI input.

10 minutes ago, Frankie said:

So how do you change the settings? It looks like the default resolution is something my current monitor doesn't support.

Tech docs here:

https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=733216

Basically, you unlock the special registers by setting bit 7 of $D01D (i.e. POKE $D01D,$80), then poke the desired resolution into bits 4-6 of $D01B.

The U1MB plugin featured in this video handles everything for you in a safe manner, but unfortunately it's not yet finished (and thus not yet released):

Some stand-alone tool could perform the same job; I am not sure if anything exists yet. I've just ordered a Sophia 2 for myself so that I can maintain and devlop the plugin in my own time.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Some stand-alone tool could perform the same job; I am not sure if anything exists yet. I've just ordered a Sophia 2 for myself so that I can maintain and devlop the plugin in my own time.

See post #150 of this thread, Simius has made a little handy tool for setting up Sophia 2!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tf_hh said:

See post #150 of this thread, Simius has made a little handy tool for setting up Sophia 2!

Excellent - I should have realised. Thanks! :)

2 minutes ago, tf_hh said:

Just for the records... there´s a V.12 out ?

Um... I should have realised. :D

Excellent: revision info added. Exactly what I like to see.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Haha 1