IGNORED

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Simius

I want to RGB scart the cable as well, although I can do the soldering I'm not mr electronics, I looked at the tech info and think I might be close, could anyone confirm if it looks right or I'm going to blow my monitor / atari up?

I'm guessing here

DVI    Scart
C3     7 Blue
C2    11 Green
C1    15 Red
C5     5, 9, 13 linked? Grounds for above
C4    20 Sync
? 21 for shield, not sure in needed

DVI    Scart
C3    7 Blue
C2    11 Green
C1    15 Red
C5     5, 9, 13 linked, Grounds for above
C4    20 Sync
8      16 Blanking

21 -  Cable shield (do not connect to ground)

Edited by Simius
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, chevymad said:

VGA must still need a scan doubler? My VGA monitor won't recognize it. 

According to the PDF attached to the first post VGA mode should work, 480P @ 60Hz. for NTSC or 576P @ 50Hz. for PAL.

Have you configured the Sophia2 to VGA mode? The config software is attached to post #150.

@Simius Thank you for doing this new revision. I'm looking forward to this.

I have a question. And my knowledge about video adapters/standards (DVI, HDMI) is extremely limited, to say the least.

Some monitors have started to drop DVI. I think there is no loss of quality going from DVI to HDMI (the same for display port?)... but I wonder why is the selection for DVI for Sophia 2? I figured it may be that you have already being working on this and it is best to continue this route?

Any comments about it, so I can learn more, would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Blues76 said:
1 hour ago, mytek said:

The Sophia2 is the only version that would fit into a 576NUC+.

Great to hear.

Please keep in mind, that the current case designs do not have any provisions for the DVI connector.  This is certainly not a reason to not install one (sorry - double negative), just something to consider.

That being said, I would not be sad to have a Sophia2 in every machine I own!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Blues76 said:

I have a question. And my knowledge about video adapters/standards (DVI, HDMI) is extremely limited, to say the least.

Some monitors have started to drop DVI. I think there is no loss of quality going from DVI to HDMI (the same for display port?)... but I wonder why is the selection for DVI for Sophia 2? I figured it may be that you have already being working on this and it is best to continue this route?

The DVI standard is most suitable because includes both analog and digital signals. Connecting DVI to HDMI is simple and only requires a cable. Dropping the DVI standard by manufacturers isn’t a problem as well as dropping Atari computers. 

Edited by Simius
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Simius said:

The DVI standard is most suitable because includes both analog and digital signals. Connecting DVI to HDMI is simple and only requires a cable. Dropping the DVI standard by manufacturers isn’t a problem as well as dropping Atari computers. 

Thank you. I have learned something new. I didn’t know that DVI had both signals. 

Does DVI to Display Port also suffers no conversation problems with a cable, right ? 

23 hours ago, Blues76 said:

I had an old projection TV for a while about 15 years ago (until it went belly-up) that the most modern input on it was DVI. At that time I had a direct TV reciever/DVR with HDMI output. I knew nothing of DVI at the time. Anyway I did my research and found out that DVI and HDMI used compatible video signals, so I bought a DVI-to-HDMI adapter plug that I plugged into the TV's DVI port, which worked great, with a perfect picture. I still have the plug and it's what I will use to plug my Sophia 2 out into the HDMI of my current monitors. (once the 800 version is available for me to purchase)

20201227_124518.jpg

20201227_124503.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

On 12/24/2020 at 12:54 PM, aleomark said:

Hi guys, Im waiting the Sophia 2 to install in my atari 5200, I want to use it in a sony pvm and Also a framemeister, what cable could I Get /buy and were?

thanks

hi, for scart input into pvm, could these work?

1. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NLJJYM?pf_rd_r=BZ00HJ7E925NDTWYWT6J&pf_rd_p=5ae2c7f8-e0c6-4f35-9071-dc3240e894a8

plus

2. https://retro-access.com/products/db9-to-scart-for-atari-5200-sophia-board?_pos=1&_sid=a84a88efa&_ss=r

Thanks

Edited by aleomark