IGNORED

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Simius

I received my 800 version Sophia 2 today. I will be installing it soon. On that note, I have a blog up about all the upgrades and modifications I've done to my 800 in my profile now. It's still on-going.

20210111_141307.jpg

• Like 2

I have looked and have not found it so far.  But what is the part number for the DVI ribbon cable connector?  Depending on how I decide to mount my DVI connector, I might want a little longer cable and was just going to make what I needed.

Thanks

David

11 hours ago, Mrarkus said:

Got mine today as well! Can’t wait to start installing everything, but SCCC and PokeyMAX are still stuck in USPS hell...

I've got a Fujinet and a couple of upgrade boards for my Indus GT's in either covid lockdown or USPS hell...?misery loves company...

23 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I've got a Fujinet and a couple of upgrade boards for my Indus GT's in either covid lockdown or USPS hell...?misery loves company...

I figured ordering late November/early December from overseas would clear at least the holiday rush. Alas, my packages are appearing in LIFO order ;)

To keep it on topic, couldn't help myself and had to install Sophia 2 last night. Finally don't have to use my 4:3 monitors! Got a cheap new Dell 24" widescreen, and it works perfectly, and has second input for RetroTINK.

4 minutes ago, Mrarkus said:

I figured ordering late November/early December from overseas would clear at least the holiday rush. Alas, my packages are appearing in LIFO order ;)

To keep it on topic, couldn't help myself and had to install Sophia 2 last night. Finally don't have to use my 4:3 monitors! Got a cheap new Dell 24" widescreen, and it works perfectly, and has second input for RetroTINK.

I'm going the opposite way as I don't like the Atari screen in 16:9 ratio, I want a 4:3 screen. So I'm installing it with an RGB or VGA ouput because my monitors are either 4:3, or won't work in 4:3 through HDMI.

• Like 2

Oh man - I can't view Atari on 16:9 screens, everything is stretched SOOOOOOOO wide.  Hopefully my stockpile of 4:3 monitors will not die anytime soon.  I have 3 CRTs that can do RGB, a CRT VGA monitor, and 3 4:3 LCD screens (two 17" Samsung panels and a 19" Dell).

• Like 1

Ok, this came out wrong. I can't stand stretched screens! But with Sophia 2 and the new Dell, I have a perfect 4:3 picture and no grayish borders, just uniform black.

Edit: Love my Dell 2001FPs, but all old LCDs have one issue, speed. The new Dell is 4ms, the 2001FPs are around 20ms i believe. You can definitely tell the difference.

Edited by Mrarkus
  • Like 2

My Samsung WS has Auto or wide, mixing that with the res switches via the config.exe and I get a 4:3 picture (well it looks very close to 4:3 but I like some only want to see it on a 4:3 display, hence the RGB cable want)

Can't wait to see it on my Amiga 1081 monitor or the philips  8833 mrk II, crt for me every time..

I know, it sort of defeats the point of the Sophia 2 as it gives a HDMI pin sharp picture as opposed to a slightly soft CRT lower res display, but it's how I have always played it on real hardware..

30 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

My Samsung WS has Auto or wide, mixing that with the res switches via the config.exe and I get a 4:3 picture (well it looks very close to 4:3 but I like some only want to see it on a 4:3 display, hence the RGB cable want)

Can't wait to see it on my Amiga 1081 monitor or the philips  8833 mrk II, crt for me every time..

I know, it sort of defeats the point of the Sophia 2 as it gives a HDMI pin sharp picture as opposed to a slightly soft CRT lower res display, but it's how I have always played it on real hardware..

It took me a long time to convert to LCDs, and only because I could use all my 8/16-bits, both PAL and NTSC, on one monitor. The other factor for an old NTSC fart like me is PAL flicker on CRTs. Still have some 1084s though.

Now with adjustable resolution HDMI for my 800 it is really something else. Thank goodness for the separate ANTIC / GTIA chips, it's a lot tougher to do on the C64 side...

2 hours ago, Mrarkus said:

Ok, this came out wrong. I can't stand stretched screens! But with Sophia 2 and the new Dell, I have a perfect 4:3 picture and no grayish borders, just uniform black.

Edit: Love my Dell 2001FPs, but all old LCDs have one issue, speed. The new Dell is 4ms, the 2001FPs are around 20ms i believe. You can definitely tell the difference.

Easy misunderstanding, I say things like that all the time and people think I'm meaning the opposite or something different. And actually @Mclaneinc informed me that the Sophia 2 can be set/programmed to output DVI in 4:3 to my HDMI monitors, so I may stick with DVI myself now. Now that I'm on the same page as you, how you said it makes perfect sense to me too.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Oh man - I can't view Atari on 16:9 screens, everything is stretched SOOOOOOOO wide. 

Yeah its odd working that way but with continued use you can get used to it.

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

Hopefully my stockpile of 4:3 monitors will not die anytime soon. 

My LCDs, when running DVI, allow me to set a 4:3 ratio. Doing things this way it doesn't really matter what the Sophia outputs - it always looks right. That includes the Sophia rev.C. 

When I bought the Sophia 2 I thought I would put it in my everyday case because it was an improvement over the rev.C --- a couple weeks later I switched. The rev.C fit better in my everyday computer and the monitor aspect ratio leaves everything else the way I like it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrarkus said:

It took me a long time to convert to LCDs, and only because I could use all my 8/16-bits, both PAL and NTSC, on one monitor. The other factor for an old NTSC fart like me is PAL flicker on CRTs. Still have some 1084s though.

Now with adjustable resolution HDMI for my 800 it is really something else. Thank goodness for the separate ANTIC / GTIA chips, it's a lot tougher to do on the C64 side...

For so many years, I've been jealous of folks with a good display, and a few years ago I finally got something that was close to a good display.  It was a VBXE output, to GBS-8220 - to vga monitor.  That one was solid in standard mode, and only had some weirdness in 80-column mode that made it miserable.    Then only a few weeks ago, I finally got it solved.  This was VBXE->scart, scart to hdmi, hdmi->LG TV.     Finally, it was clear.  Solid in all modes, and the aspect ratio was 4:3.  Boxed in on all sides, but for the first time ever, a pleasant display.

But, I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I've ordered an Atari 130XE, with Sophia Rev. 3, modded for hdmi output.   And I've ordered an American Dynamics monitor.  The reason for this, is as I was searching for my "ultimate" display, I found that these CCTV "multiple input" monitors, are still available in 19" 1280 x 1024, and support NTSC/PAL s-video, vga, and HDMI inputs, also they have built in speakers.   That's a relativley rare combination, I think - to support HDMI and have this aspect ratio.  But to also support pal s-video to potentially use it with an unmodded atari someday....

oh well, my experience tells me, not to get too excited yet, who knows what complications await....but I've got high hopes anyhow...

4 hours ago, Dmitry said:

For so many years, I've been jealous of folks with a good display, and a few years ago I finally got something that was close to a good display.  It was a VBXE output, to GBS-8220 - to vga monitor.  That one was solid in standard mode, and only had some weirdness in 80-column mode that made it miserable.    Then only a few weeks ago, I finally got it solved.  This was VBXE->scart, scart to hdmi, hdmi->LG TV.     Finally, it was clear.  Solid in all modes, and the aspect ratio was 4:3.  Boxed in on all sides, but for the first time ever, a pleasant display.

But, I couldn't leave well enough alone, so I've ordered an Atari 130XE, with Sophia Rev. 3, modded for hdmi output.   And I've ordered an American Dynamics monitor.  The reason for this, is as I was searching for my "ultimate" display, I found that these CCTV "multiple input" monitors, are still available in 19" 1280 x 1024, and support NTSC/PAL s-video, vga, and HDMI inputs, also they have built in speakers.   That's a relativley rare combination, I think - to support HDMI and have this aspect ratio.  But to also support pal s-video to potentially use it with an unmodded atari someday....

oh well, my experience tells me, not to get too excited yet, who knows what complications await....but I've got high hopes anyhow...

Interesting, definitely let us know how it works! My Dell 2001FP is 20" 1600x1200, with composite, S-Video, VGA and DVI, and does 15KHz RGB and PAL/NTSC, as long as it's manufactured before September 2005. The later models won't do 15KHz. Wonder if the American Dynamics can do 15KHz...

EDIT: Fixed specs

Edited by Mrarkus

26 minutes ago, Calab said:

So... will this work in a 1200XL or 130XE? Does the same unit work in both, or are they model specific?

I'm definitely looking forward to a better display on my Atari's!

It will work in any Atari 8-bit using GTIA, including the 5200 console.

22 minutes ago, Mrarkus said:

Interesting, definitely let us know how it works! My Dell 2001FP is 20" 1280 x 1024, with composite, S-Video, VGA and DVI, and does 15KHz RGB and PAL/NTSC, as long as it's manufactured before September 2004 I believe. The later models won't do 15KHz. Wonder if the American Dynamics can do 15KHz...

Hopefully you're wrong on the date, since I just bought one dated October 2004. This wiki says June 2005.  http://15khz.wikidot.com/

8 minutes ago, chevymad said:

Hopefully you're wrong on the date, since I just bought one dated October 2004. This wiki says June 2005.  http://15khz.wikidot.com/

Hmm, just checked both of mine, and they are March 2004 and August 2004, however I think you are right, the magic date is September 2005, not 2004.

Worse offense is that I listed it as 1280x1024, but it's actually 1600x1200, true 4:3 :) Getting old sucks...

• Like 1

first complication, vendor notified me they dont have the american dynamics monitor, issuing refund.  pity, it was a good deal.  there are tons on ebay but not at that price.  still I put an offer in now on synectics touchscreen nos cctv monitor.  This one also pal/ntsc svideo, hdmi, vga, speakers but also has dvi and component.  downside is wall mount.  guy says he has two, so hopefully not out of stock

On 12/1/2020 at 1:20 PM, Simius said:

How to mount the Sophia 2 on the Atari 800 - the story in 8 pictures.

1. Replace GTIA with the Sophia 2. Use a new, precision socket.

2. Cut a gap with an angle grinder.

3. Remove a channel switch, bead and two axial 2200uF capacitors. Mount the bead on the bottom side of the MB.

4. Cut a hole in the bezel for the DVI connector.

5. Drill two 1mm holes next (5mm) to the old + holes for radial 2200uF capacitors and mount them with two additional wires.

6. Stick the DVI board with a 3M adhesive tape (~2.5mm thick)

7. That's it. 

20201201_143802.jpg

20201201_143915.jpg

20201201_144753.jpg

20201201_185242.jpg

20201201_185302.jpg

20201201_185326.jpg

20201201_185631.jpg

20201201_190714.jpg

I started my Sophia 2 installation into my 800 today. I don't know if anyone already pointed this out, but the IC's are pointed in the opposite direction on PAL 800 CPU board than they are on the NTSC 800 CPU board. The IC's also have different positions on the board. So the ribbon cable has to be looped over top the Sophia 2 board. I already knew this from the Incognito installation, but had forgotten until I was using this 8-step procedure to verify my board orientation.

20210113_121204.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 3