IGNORED

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Simius

16 hours ago, Mrarkus said:

I ended up creating a passthrough hole in RF shield, and put the DVI board out the back through bottom case on left side. Cable is just long enough to make disassembly easy. Sound out going next to it once the rest of my stuff gets here...

I'm doing something similar, hole at bottom of shielding, but on the right side. the DVI board will be coming out the back, vertically mounted in between the right side peripheral face plate and the right end of the PSU board heat sink. Since I have already used all the underside space on both left and right sides for my other audio/video/SIO outs. And the whole point of those mods is to not have cables sticking out the side. Besides, the old channel switch now switches my PokeyMax Quad + Covox between mono and stereo. out the back left is where my new PBI port is...

Edited by Gunstar

12 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I'm doing something similar, hole at bottom of shielding, but on the right side. the DVI board will be coming out the back, vertically mounted in between the right side peripheral face plate and the right end of the PSU board heat sink. Since I have already used all the underside space on both left and right sides for my other audio/video/SIO outs. And the whole point of those mods is to not have cables sticking out the side. Besides, the old channel switch now switches my PokeyMax Quad + Covox between mono and stereo. out the back left is where my new PBI port is...

Nice! I like the vertical orientation idea. I’m going to put the power switch and power plug there, while DIN A/V and SIO is going above the DVI/3.5mm on the left, reinforced to keep it there. Then the right side is getting a body-color plug to cover all the old ports. Really hope it turns out!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrarkus said:

Nice! I like the vertical orientation idea. I’m going to put the power switch and power plug there, while DIN A/V and SIO is going above the DVI/3.5mm on the left, reinforced to keep it there. Then the right side is getting a body-color plug to cover all the old ports. Really hope it turns out!

I'll be using my original side SIO for Fujinet that is on it's way from TBA. And along with the power and switch I'm still using, I guess they will stay. I might swap out the old side monitor jack for something else there, since I have three other video outputs now.

But I like your idea of a new side plate! Maybe I'll do the same some day.

Eventually I'll have some more controller ports next to the DVI port, once I get my dual PIA board.

• Like 1

@Marsupilami

If I remember correctly there are some very good reasons why DVI was chosen instead of HDMI or mini HDMI. I think cost was one, but more importantly, I think is because with a DVI you have the option to choose analog RGB or VGA as well as DVI/HDMI and a lot of people prefer RGB or VGA to use with CRT monitors. I've just installed mine, and though for now I'm using an HDMI adapter like you, going to my LCD monitor, I plan on using it for RGB and VGA in the future when I do get my RGB monitor working or get a good CRT VGA monitor. But couldn't you just get a DVI-to-miniHDMI adapter and cable instead of DVI-to-HDMI and feed the mini HDMI cable through the RF hole anyway? At least then there is nothing blocking the PBI port in case you ever want to use it.

I installed mine in my 800, so there are no open areas to feed a cable through like your PBI,,,even though I have a PBI port now (I still need it clear for PBI devices!). But I've already customized my 800 case with alternate SIO and audio/video outs as well as a PBI port, and more are to come, so cutting the case and mounting the DVI port was "par for the course." But didn't want to mount in on the side like in the 8-step installation posted before, as I just cleared the side of all cables but Power, because I never like the side I/O on the 800. Plus, I'm using the old RF channel selector switch as my Pokeymax mono/stereo switch.

I posted these pictures in my on-going 800 upgrade blog too:

https://atariage.com/forums/blogs/entry/17138-upgrading-and-modding-the-atari-800-too-an-800ai-advanceincognito/

20210115_203444.thumb.jpg.461df23d51a17206d329d00348082018.jpg

20210115_203521.thumb.jpg.89730b4aaa267ea0f7b721eb329d8c4c.jpg20210115_203509.thumb.jpg.45f6664d9832a1cf86042c242818f636.jpg20210115_224205.thumb.jpg.eaf03093cf60c531857517ec453cf396.jpg20210115_224400.thumb.jpg.91b4074289ed9fa4040b5c7a01d42542.jpg

P.S. looking at these pictures I posted really shows that my 800 has yellowed again since I did a retro-bright a couple of years ago...time to try the sun-bright option and get her back to a more normal color.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

@Marsupilami

But couldn't you just get a DVI-to-miniHDMI adapter and cable instead of DVI-to-HDMI and feed the mini HDMI cable through the RF hole anyway?

@Gunstar

Because with a Mini HDMI the problem is the same : it's too big. A Micro HDMI will work, but i haven't found a DVI-to-MicroHDMI online.

6 minutes ago, Marsupilami said:

@Gunstar

Because with a Mini HDMI the problem is the same : it's too big. A Micro HDMI will work, but i haven't found a DVI-to-MicroHDMI online.

Sorry, I meant micro HDMI, like you said... how about an HDMI-to-MicroHDMI and plug that into the DVI-to-HDMI adapter you already have?

EUSTAK-Micro-HDMI-Adapter-HDMI-Male-Type-A-to-Micro-HDMI-Female-Type-D-Gold-Plated.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

Sorry, I meant micro HDMI, like you said... how about an HDMI-to-MicroHDMI and plug that into the DVI-to-HDMI adapter you already have?

EUSTAK-Micro-HDMI-Adapter-HDMI-Male-Type-A-to-Micro-HDMI-Female-Type-D-Gold-Plated.jpg

Yes, good idea @Gunstar
In fact i did with what i had in my drawers :) But it's still a work in progress.
One of my relationships is trying to build an adapter card like the Simius one but with an HDMI output instead of the DVI output (It seems it's too hard to do with a microhdmi directly on the card). Once done i think i'll use this kind of micro HDMI adapter indeed (with a male HDMI / male MicroHDMI cable). I hope i'll then be able to put the RF shield back in place to avoid having too much noises with the WIFI signal of my fujinet :) 

And for the sound output i think i'll build a male 5 pin DIN (from the monitor port) to a female 2.5 jack. Or maybe i'll use the RF hole for the Jack and the micro HDMI cables. But in that case i'll have to take sound from the MB on the monitor port.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

P.S. looking at these pictures I posted really shows that my 800 has yellowed again since I did a retro-bright a couple of years ago...time to try the sun-bright option and get her back to a more normal color.

Good old sun is definitely a way to go IMHO. Pretty much everything I retro-brighted with chemicals has come back with a vengeance, while the items I have done since the "natural" way are staying their original color so far. 

• Thanks 1

Hello guys

The problem with HDMI is that you have to pay something like a royalty if you want to sell something with HDMI on it.

Would it be possible to "shorten" the PCB that holds the DVI connector?

And to save even more space inside the computer, would it be possible to take off the plastic on the outside of the DVI2HDMI?  And the connectors?

BTW forget about retrobright or the sun.  It'll only weaken the plastic even more/faster.  The only thing that keeps our computers looking like new is painting it in the color it came in way back when.

Sincerely

Mathy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gunstar said:

20210115_224400.thumb.jpg.91b4074289ed9fa4040b5c7a01d42542.jpg

I see your other pictures and everything looks really well done... but this adapter/dongle on the outside gave me a great idea. One could unscrew the posts from the internal part of the DVI adapter and reattach them with little braces  larger than the hole that could press against the inside of the case  when tightening down this exterior adapter. It would pull the internal adapter forward against these braces and provide a "sandwich" fit. 

I spent some time deciding how I would mount my DVI adapter and hadn't considered the use of an external adapter to sandwich it in place. --- Wish I had seen your pictures prior.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

The problem with HDMI is that you have to pay something like a royalty if you want to sell something with HDMI on it.

Would it be possible to "shorten" the PCB that holds the DVI connector?

And to save even more space inside the computer, would it be possible to take off the plastic on the outside of the DVI2HDMI?  And the connectors?

BTW forget about retrobright or the sun.  It'll only weaken the plastic even more/faster.  The only thing that keeps our computers looking like new is painting it in the color it came in way back when.

Sincerely

Mathy

I usually do paint badly yellowed computers or ones I've done body work on, but with the 800 I was "trying out" retro-bright and sun-light. I will take your advice and return to my tradition of painting. It took me a long time to finally get the color right for my XL's though...do you, @Mathy , or anyone, know of a brand and color that matches original 400/800 plastic?

55 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Sincerely

Mathy

Everything I've read points to natural UV process being a lot gentler and non-damaging vs chemicals. Of course five years ago everybody thought they discovered gold with peroxide :) 

The best ones are the naturally yellow-resistant computers! I have a couple Commodores and my main 800 that I haven't touched, and they look about as original as I remember them. 

1 hour ago, madness77 said:

I think it is best to mount a DVI connector in place of the removed modulator.

Undoubtedly that works fantastic. I thought I would sneak mine in above it:

image.png.bf2960f9cb734227a326dbce90029f63.png

...and I thought it all looked nice (accept the time the drill jumped and make a nasty scratch. Then I realized I need to take a file and remove some material from the top overhang lip to make things fit perfectly. It is REALLY REALLY close as is and with some slightly loosed case screws I can us it in its current form. But removing a small amount of material from the area marked with the arrow will make it perfect.

• Like 3

Well, bad luck for me. Apparently I have a dead Sophia 2! I installed it and put the 800 back together and I got a black screen when I powered up. I just finished taking it all apart again and triple checking all connections, seated IC's etc. but still a black screen. I popped out the Sophia 2 and put my GTIA back in, and BINGO my 800 is working again. I tried this twice.

So... @Simius , can we arrange for a replacement? I can only send the (800 version) Sophia 2 board itself back as the socket is soldered in and the DVI board is...not a quick removal...

Damn! I was so looking forward to trying it out this weekend!

SO...JUST TO MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE, THAT IS PIN 1 WHERE THE ARROW IS POINTING IN THIS PICTURE? NM, I finally found the board pin 1 orientation picture again...I didn't think I made that mistake...

20210116_192143.thumb.jpg.a727135497ffbbb74137de4955cc36c6.jpg

Just to cover my bases, the standard video outputs should work still, as well as the DVI, correct? I got no signal with DVI out, that's when I switched back to S-video and got the black screen. And the 800 works  fine with S-video with the original GTIA plugged back in. I want to make sure it's not just the DVI ribbon cable plugged in backwards to the DVI board. I don't think that's the case, though, as the ribbon cable would have to be facing the wrong way when plugged into the DVI board...again, just hoping it's something simple and stupid so I don't have to send it back and wait for a replacement, I had already been anxiously waiting for months.

Edited by Gunstar