IGNORED

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Simius

7 hours ago, Rybags said:

877651221_SophiaonBenq22.thumb.jpg.b9560b998bd6c888d8ff9686e231bacb.jpg

Is it really possible to have those two colors at the same time in graph 0 mode with a regular GTIA? the Pink and Blue at the same time? I though it was only possible with VBXE...

Or Sophia 2 allows that, as well? or was part of the bug reported by Rybags?

Edited by manterola

1 hour ago, manterola said:

Is it really possible to have those two colors at the same time in graph 0 mode with a regular GTIA? the Pink and Blue at the same time? I though it was only possible with VBXE...

Or Sophia 2 allows that, as well? or was part of the bug reported by Rybags?

Border colour can always be set independent of background.  The VBXE and Sophia allow for different colour text, such as red text on blue background.

In BASIC, Graphics 0, location 710 deciman controls background, 712 controls border.  709 is the text.  The stock OS for some odd reason has 709 default to 202.  Since it only manages do do a luminance of the chosen background, we get super bright blue which looks white.  However, VBXE and SOPHIA2 (when the feature is turned on), properly shows 202 as a light green.

1 hour ago, manterola said:

Yeah , right... it was the background vs characters that cannot be of different colors (not restriction with the border).

I didn't know that Sophia 2 allows different background and characters colors!  (is the option in the config program?)

I am not sure how version C works.  However, the new Sophia2 (which allows changing resolutions on the fly) does in fact allow this option to be turned on, and off.  Let me see if I can find the docs - it's probably buried a few hundred posts back.

Search the document for " Bit 4 – HIRESBC: Hi-Res Bi-Color"

Also of note, like the VBXE2, Sophia2 will also optionally allow for 16 luminances in ALL graphics modes, not just the GTIA modes.

SOPHIA2en_1_2.pdf

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Gunstar said:

So the Sophia 2 and VBXE work fine together in VBXE mode? Or do you have to be out of VBXE mode to use the Sophia 2 output?

IMG_20210129_085441.thumb.jpg.f26671af0ad157870cebde115f0c96ba.jpg

You can't watch VBXE content through the Sophia DVI output nor the AV/S-Video Monitor-out. There's an extra sub-d port in my XL for watching special VBXE stuff. Unfortunately, the VBXE never got the programmer's interest it deserved. So it's not a big nuisanceto to need the extra RGB output if I want to watch or play the very few, maybe 3 to 5 'worth it' VBXE demos or games.

Here are a few samples of watching VBXE stuff on both systems. DVI left VBXE RGB right.

IMG_20210129_093557.thumb.jpg.95a05debf142b63f875450103ab8718f.jpg

IMG_20210129_093435.thumb.jpg.306d46bc50201dd8138760f3bb15845d.jpg

IMG_20210129_093518.thumb.jpg.1eaaf345458c09e57f5ed9d8644000c0.jpg

IMG_20210129_093518.jpg

Edited by MARIO130XE
  • Like 5

9 vga

Pin

Name Dir Description
1 RED OUT Red Video
2 GREEN OUT Green Video
3 BLUE OUT Blue Video
4 HSYNC OUT Horizontal Sync
5 VSYNC OUT Vertical Sync
6 RGND - Red Ground
7 GGND - Green Ground
8 BGND - Blue Ground
9 SGND - Sync Ground

DVI pins can be tied to rgb pins

Pin 8

Analog vertical sync

Pin15 Ground

Return for pin 14 and analog sync

C1 Analog red  
C2 Analog green  
C3 Analog blue  
C4 Analog horizontal sync  

C5

Analog ground

Return for R, G, and B signals

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 2

I'll get an independent PF1/PF2 colour pic next time if nobody else has put one up first.

Re the 8-bit palette mode, it's more than just enabling by the bitsetting since the OS VBlank routine zeroes out the low bit when copying from the shadow registers.

So, you need to have a VBlank, DLI or other routine that copies them without doing that.

On 1/28/2021 at 6:28 AM, Rybags said:

it then limits your options a lot, ie the likes of IDE +2

Some versions of the IDE+ 2.0 have pads for the card-edge connector and male header pins for use with a PBI ribbon cable. I have Rev.C and Rev.D versions that have both installed, the ribbon cable would still allow connecting to this 800XL despite the location of the DVI connector.

The SYSCHECK device has a similar feature but you can only install the card-edge connector or header pins since one row of pads are used for both connectors.

I forgot the ribbon cable at the time... I have one also, which is still yet to be used.

Extra bit colours - yes, you have to store them yourself to the shadow registers - a DLI at top of screen would be the best method.

IMO sort of pointless doing a modded OS - you could then have the situation of the extra colour working for you but not others.  Plus it's not a straightforward byte change - the $FE value is used twice, also as the counter/flag value when attract mode becomes active.  An $FF value wouldn't work there as the counter incrementing back to $00 would disable the attract mode.

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say, I REALLY hate the idea of hacking ANY of my Atari systems' cases.  Am I the only one having this struggle?

I just can't bring myself to start drilling or dremel-ing on a perfectly well-preserved case that is ~40 years old. 

I plugged in my Sophia 2 with the case open and it looks absolutely glorious on the screen. Wow!  But I just can't bring myself to properly "install it" and complete the job because I can't think of a way to do it without modifying something in a irreversible manner. 

Any suggestions(other than just get over it and start drilling and filing!)? 

-Eric

Edited by erichenneke

1 minute ago, erichenneke said:

I gotta say, I REALLY hate the idea of hacking ANY of my Atari systems' cases.  Am I the only one having this struggle?

I have the same struggle with my 1200XL... Internal mods aren't so bad, but I don't want to do anything irreversible or permanent. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, erichenneke said:

I just can't bring myself to start drilling or dremel-ing on a perfectly well-preserved case that is ~40 years old. 

Eric, you aren't the only one.  Thinking specifically of Sophia, I'm thinking that when I do this mod, I will pass the connector out through the same hole that the PBI connector uses.  Inelegant, yes, and the cable will need to be replaced when the wires break, but it seems less bad than potentially destroying my 600XL's perfect case.

I'm in a similar situation with my 2600/5200, both of which I want to modify for UAV: I'm not sure how I will pass those new connectors outside the case.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrFSL said:

Still pull it from monitor output in 800xl.

Yeah,  that's what I figured and what I will do too probably. 

I was considering a way to tap into the audio signal directly,  inject it along with dvi into a hdmi converter inside the machine,  and then just have a single hdmi cable going out the pbi port or something like that.  But that's probably not going to fit.  

Corrected -  how so?

I've not looked deep into these threads but I assume Sophia 2 also has no PAL colour blending?

One thing I did think of though that'd be nice - could scanline simulation be done?  Like having the option of reduced brightness on alternate lines to simulate an old TV?

And can updates be done by the user easily?

55 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Corrected -  how so?

The older sconf version didn't show the correct DVI display mode (480p or 576p) depend on the color system (NTSC or PAL). There was always 576p because the string "480p" was written to the wrong address.

I've not looked deep into these threads but I assume Sophia 2 also has no PAL colour blending?

PAL color blending is still on the RF and standard monitor outputs as well as NTSC color artifacting.

One thing I did think of though that'd be nice - could scanline simulation be done?  Like having the option of reduced brightness on alternate lines to simulate an old TV?

No

And can updates be done by the user easily?

It is possible to do at all, but requires some experience in electronics. I hope it won't be needed.