IGNORED

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Simius

On 3/26/2021 at 2:52 AM, tf_hh said:

This is really uncommon. I´ve tested over 20 models of TVs and PC monitors since Sophia-1 with DVI output exists and none of them have a jack which prevents to plug in cables with the "analogue extension". Most monitors just ignore the signals here.

Finally installed my second SOPHIA and wanted to hook it to the same monitor my first machine is using. The first one is on the HDMI input so I was going to hook the second one direct to DVI and ran in to this exact problem, the input is only DVI-D... 

So DUMB question I can just use a DVI-I to DVI-D cable correct? I'm assuming the analog signals are only required if going to VGA for example?

1 hour ago, orpheuswaking said:

Finally installed my second SOPHIA and wanted to hook it to the same monitor my first machine is using. The first one is on the HDMI input so I was going to hook the second one direct to DVI and ran in to this exact problem, the input is only DVI-D... 

So DUMB question I can just use a DVI-I to DVI-D cable correct? I'm assuming the analog signals are only required if going to VGA for example?

These are the cables and ports that I am using with my 1200XL and Sophia2. You can see that the four analog pins are missing in the cable, and aren't on the monitor connector either.

It works great!  

20210612_091540.jpg

20210612_091550.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 4:01 AM, Simius said:

Ordered the 250mm cable, sadly not long enough for mounting through the PBI port. Anyone have a source for a longer cable? I need 350-400mm in length. 

The good news is the Sophia works great. For now the cable is hanging out the back.

1 hour ago, mdivancic said:

Ordered the 250mm cable, sadly not long enough for mounting through the PBI port. Anyone have a source for a longer cable? I need 350-400mm in length. 

The good news is the Sophia works great. For now the cable is hanging out the back.

I've been looking also, Trying to not have to bodge two cables into one. It appears from my search that 250mm is the longest that can be found premade. @Simius do you have any other ideas or sources to get a longer premade cable? 

As a last resort I could try ordering parts to make my own, but I don't know how they would come out. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 6:06 PM, erichenneke said:

Here you go.  

I also tried a dvi to vga adapter and that didn't work either. 

The svideo out on the 800xl does not work with sophia2 installed.  But it does work with the gtia chip put back in place. 

-Eric

DSC_1138.JPG

Ok all, i have an update regarding Sophia 2 and it makes me feel pretty silly.  Yet, it is important I share this I think just in case somebody else runs into similar "challenge".

I was previously having a problem where after I installed Sophia 2 it would not get an image through the Sophia 2.  And it also would not get an image through the SVIDEO port either.  

This led me to believe that the Sophia 2 was bad.  

Well, I gave it another shot a couple days ago with the same initial result.  

But then as I was looking at the motherboard and the chip that I was replacing, I googled the chip markings out of curiosity, and the description came back saying it was a Freddie chip!  What?!   

Then it hit me, this board is a 800 "XLF" (with Freddie) system.  Which means the GTIA is not in the usual lower left hand location like most 800 XL boards.  

Oh my God !    I have been replacing the wrong chip this entire time.  DUH.  

So I put the Freddie chip back in.  Located the proper GTIA chip location to replace, and installed the Sophia 2 there at the correct location.

Of course then it worked perfectly!  AND WOW, IT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.  Finally working, but it was well worth the way.

Also, something else I wanted to share...  On these 800 "XLF" boards (with Freddie chip), there is an aluminum electrolytic cap right next to the GTIA.  It is SO CLOSE to the GTIA that when you try to replace the GTIA with the Sophia 2 device it doesn't have clearance and will not allow it to seat into the motherboard (because the Sophia 2 will hit the cap). 

My solution to this was to first stack another empty socket on top of the existing socket, and then plug the Sophia 2 into that stacked socket.  This gave it the perfect amount of clearance to seat without hitting the cap, but also still low enough that it doesn't have any problems fitting under the keyboard when the system case is put back together.

See pictures below.

IMG_20210706_012228.thumb.jpg.596d6e36b4fd40b222eab0854ab70192.jpg

IMG_20210706_012214.thumb.jpg.cc15c31dcbca1922af7a3f5c40bac021.jpg

IMG_20210706_012305.thumb.jpg.7b546b01f0f61c721c0a6cb7510dd86e.jpg

On 7/10/2021 at 11:55 AM, mdivancic said:

Installed the longer cable that @orpheuswaking made for me and buttoned up the 800xl. Using the 3D printed part designed by MrLurch on Thingiverse makes for a nice clean install. Pardon the messy work area.

34327A5B-06A2-4670-89A8-D023122E2B28.thumb.jpeg.916742924c6b11c942fe011e3f55bdd5.jpeg

6A090378-8C54-430A-88CA-A1AF304FEF93.thumb.jpeg.9f1e6e9b7338f35129cd082a3810523c.jpeg

Looking good, glad the cable worked out for you. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

I don't have the correct tool so I CAREFULLY used a bench vise. You have to line it up just right or you snap the orientation peg. 

I was going to make a longer cable too and was wondering about how to do that.  I've done the bench vise before too.  But I was not sure if it would work on those connectors.  They look really fragile.

7 hours ago, djones60 said:

I was going to make a longer cable too and was wondering about how to do that.  I've done the bench vise before too.  But I was not sure if it would work on those connectors.  They look really fragile.

They are super fragile, I ordered extra connectors and ended up trashing two before I got it right. They might possibly work better with an IDC crimp tool but I don’t know for sure. I looked into getting the correct tool but it doesn’t exist in a cheap version and for making a couple cables wasn’t worth it. 

• 1 month later...

I have some compatibility issues with sophia 2 and some demos:

1.) w_hole by animkomials

When I play the demo on dvi output it flickers like hell and only half of the picture is shown. On normal output on the xl demo works as expected 

2.) total daze by tight

When the demo reaches the picture where there are aliens everything is only black and white, no matter whether dvi or normal output

Is there any way to configure sophia with SOPHIAconf that those demos work like expected?

I tried multiple and they all worked and that's with PAL input which surprised me a bit.

The resolution being pushed is hardly taxing on a modern LCD monitor, so long as it's not one of those shitty TVs they sold in the mid 2000s that were like 720x480 and is something like 1280x768 or better then it should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...

On 9/5/2021 at 12:14 AM, patjomki said:

I have some compatibility issues with sophia 2 and some demos:

1.) w_hole by animkomials

When I play the demo on dvi output it flickers like hell and only half of the picture is shown. On normal output on the xl demo works as expected 

2.) total daze by tight

When the demo reaches the picture where there are aliens everything is only black and white, no matter whether dvi or normal output

Is there any way to configure sophia with SOPHIAconf that those demos work like expected?

On 9/9/2021 at 10:45 AM, patjomki said:

Hmm, am I the only one with compatibility issues?

At the moment I think that sophia 2 is NOT 100% compatible.

I also have concerns, after half an hour after starting my 130XE, the image disappears on games with horizontal scrolling like 'Atariblast', then there may appear parasites like small pixelated bars.

The CPLD on the Sofia2 is super hot when I touch it, so I wonder if the Sofia2 is bugging.

Edited by ricky

16 hours ago, ricky said:

I also have concerns, after half an hour after starting my 130XE, the image disappears on games with horizontal scrolling like 'Atariblast', then there may appear parasites like small pixelated bars.

The CPLD on the Sofia2 is super hot when I touch it, so I wonder if the Sofia2 is bugging.

Just tested it with Atariblast and I don't see any of the effects you described.

Doesn't look like a software problem in sophias firmware.