Jump to content
Simius

Sophia 2 - improved GTIA replacement

Recommended Posts

On 3/26/2021 at 2:52 AM, tf_hh said:

 

This is really uncommon. I´ve tested over 20 models of TVs and PC monitors since Sophia-1 with DVI output exists and none of them have a jack which prevents to plug in cables with the "analogue extension". Most monitors just ignore the signals here.

 

Finally installed my second SOPHIA and wanted to hook it to the same monitor my first machine is using. The first one is on the HDMI input so I was going to hook the second one direct to DVI and ran in to this exact problem, the input is only DVI-D... 

 

So DUMB question I can just use a DVI-I to DVI-D cable correct? I'm assuming the analog signals are only required if going to VGA for example?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can this be purchased anywhere in the UK, I believe things are awkward now we are not in the EU ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TGB1718 said:

Can this be purchased anywhere in the UK, I believe things are awkward now we are not in the EU ?

No, only available from Simius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, orpheuswaking said:

Finally installed my second SOPHIA and wanted to hook it to the same monitor my first machine is using. The first one is on the HDMI input so I was going to hook the second one direct to DVI and ran in to this exact problem, the input is only DVI-D... 

 

So DUMB question I can just use a DVI-I to DVI-D cable correct? I'm assuming the analog signals are only required if going to VGA for example?

These are the cables and ports that I am using with my 1200XL and Sophia2. You can see that the four analog pins are missing in the cable, and aren't on the monitor connector either.

It works great!  

20210612_091540.jpg

20210612_091550.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I figured as long as you were not needing to go out to VGA it would be good. Thanks for the confirm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2021 at 4:01 AM, Simius said:

Ordered the 250mm cable, sadly not long enough for mounting through the PBI port. Anyone have a source for a longer cable? I need 350-400mm in length. 
 

The good news is the Sophia works great. For now the cable is hanging out the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mdivancic said:

Ordered the 250mm cable, sadly not long enough for mounting through the PBI port. Anyone have a source for a longer cable? I need 350-400mm in length. 
 

The good news is the Sophia works great. For now the cable is hanging out the back.

I've been looking also, Trying to not have to bodge two cables into one. It appears from my search that 250mm is the longest that can be found premade. @Simius do you have any other ideas or sources to get a longer premade cable? 

 

As a last resort I could try ordering parts to make my own, but I don't know how they would come out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Simius said:

There is no source. DIY

Thanks @Simius.  We kinda figured this ourselves. @orpheuswaking is working on a solution. 
 

BTW thanks for a really great product. Installed mine yesterday and it’s amazing how well it just works. Almost like it’s not there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Simius said:

There is no source. DIY

 

Thanks @Simius that's what we thought. I ordered parts to make up a few so we will see how that goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2021 at 6:06 PM, erichenneke said:

Here you go.  

 

I also tried a dvi to vga adapter and that didn't work either. 

 

The svideo out on the 800xl does not work with sophia2 installed.  But it does work with the gtia chip put back in place. 

 

-Eric

 

 

DSC_1138.JPG

Ok all, i have an update regarding Sophia 2 and it makes me feel pretty silly.  Yet, it is important I share this I think just in case somebody else runs into similar "challenge".

 

I was previously having a problem where after I installed Sophia 2 it would not get an image through the Sophia 2.  And it also would not get an image through the SVIDEO port either.  

This led me to believe that the Sophia 2 was bad.  

 

Well, I gave it another shot a couple days ago with the same initial result.  

But then as I was looking at the motherboard and the chip that I was replacing, I googled the chip markings out of curiosity, and the description came back saying it was a Freddie chip!  What?!   

 

Then it hit me, this board is a 800 "XLF" (with Freddie) system.  Which means the GTIA is not in the usual lower left hand location like most 800 XL boards.  

Oh my God !    I have been replacing the wrong chip this entire time.  DUH.  

 

So I put the Freddie chip back in.  Located the proper GTIA chip location to replace, and installed the Sophia 2 there at the correct location.

 

Of course then it worked perfectly!  AND WOW, IT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.  Finally working, but it was well worth the way.

 

Also, something else I wanted to share...  On these 800 "XLF" boards (with Freddie chip), there is an aluminum electrolytic cap right next to the GTIA.  It is SO CLOSE to the GTIA that when you try to replace the GTIA with the Sophia 2 device it doesn't have clearance and will not allow it to seat into the motherboard (because the Sophia 2 will hit the cap). 

 

My solution to this was to first stack another empty socket on top of the existing socket, and then plug the Sophia 2 into that stacked socket.  This gave it the perfect amount of clearance to seat without hitting the cap, but also still low enough that it doesn't have any problems fitting under the keyboard when the system case is put back together.

 

See pictures below.

IMG_20210706_012228.thumb.jpg.596d6e36b4fd40b222eab0854ab70192.jpg

 

IMG_20210706_012214.thumb.jpg.cc15c31dcbca1922af7a3f5c40bac021.jpg

 

IMG_20210706_012305.thumb.jpg.7b546b01f0f61c721c0a6cb7510dd86e.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Installed the longer cable that @orpheuswaking made for me and buttoned up the 800xl. Using the 3D printed part designed by MrLurch on Thingiverse makes for a nice clean install. Pardon the messy work area.

 

34327A5B-06A2-4670-89A8-D023122E2B28.thumb.jpeg.916742924c6b11c942fe011e3f55bdd5.jpeg

 

6A090378-8C54-430A-88CA-A1AF304FEF93.thumb.jpeg.9f1e6e9b7338f35129cd082a3810523c.jpeg

Edited by mdivancic
Spelling error
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2021 at 11:55 AM, mdivancic said:

Installed the longer cable that @orpheuswaking made for me and buttoned up the 800xl. Using the 3D printed part designed by MrLurch on Thingiverse makes for a nice clean install. Pardon the messy work area.

 

34327A5B-06A2-4670-89A8-D023122E2B28.thumb.jpeg.916742924c6b11c942fe011e3f55bdd5.jpeg

 

6A090378-8C54-430A-88CA-A1AF304FEF93.thumb.jpeg.9f1e6e9b7338f35129cd082a3810523c.jpeg

Looking good, glad the cable worked out for you. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/24/2021 at 7:11 AM, orpheuswaking said:

Thanks @Simius that's what we thought. I ordered parts to make up a few so we will see how that goes. 

what crimp tool did you use?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hasanc said:

what crimp tool did you use?

I don't have the correct tool so I CAREFULLY used a bench vise. You have to line it up just right or you snap the orientation peg. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, orpheuswaking said:

I don't have the correct tool so I CAREFULLY used a bench vise. You have to line it up just right or you snap the orientation peg. 

I was going to make a longer cable too and was wondering about how to do that.  I've done the bench vise before too.  But I was not sure if it would work on those connectors.  They look really fragile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, djones60 said:

I was going to make a longer cable too and was wondering about how to do that.  I've done the bench vise before too.  But I was not sure if it would work on those connectors.  They look really fragile.

They are super fragile, I ordered extra connectors and ended up trashing two before I got it right. They might possibly work better with an IDC crimp tool but I don’t know for sure. I looked into getting the correct tool but it doesn’t exist in a cheap version and for making a couple cables wasn’t worth it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2021 at 9:33 PM, Simius said:

There is no source. DIY

 

Interested in purchasing this.  I hear that there is a chip delay problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have some compatibility issues with sophia 2 and some demos:

 

1.) w_hole by animkomials

When I play the demo on dvi output it flickers like hell and only half of the picture is shown. On normal output on the xl demo works as expected 

2.) total daze by tight

When the demo reaches the picture where there are aliens everything is only black and white, no matter whether dvi or normal output

 

Is there any way to configure sophia with SOPHIAconf that those demos work like expected?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried multiple and they all worked and that's with PAL input which surprised me a bit.

 

The resolution being pushed is hardly taxing on a modern LCD monitor, so long as it's not one of those shitty TVs they sold in the mid 2000s that were like 720x480 and is something like 1280x768 or better then it should be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sophia 2 doesn't work at any resolution on the Dell 1707FPt, it won't even sync at the native 1280 x 1024.

Edited by Mazzspeed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 9/5/2021 at 12:14 AM, patjomki said:

I have some compatibility issues with sophia 2 and some demos:

 

1.) w_hole by animkomials

When I play the demo on dvi output it flickers like hell and only half of the picture is shown. On normal output on the xl demo works as expected 

2.) total daze by tight

When the demo reaches the picture where there are aliens everything is only black and white, no matter whether dvi or normal output

 

Is there any way to configure sophia with SOPHIAconf that those demos work like expected?

 

On 9/9/2021 at 10:45 AM, patjomki said:

Hmm, am I the only one with compatibility issues?

 

At the moment I think that sophia 2 is NOT 100% compatible.

I also have concerns, after half an hour after starting my 130XE, the image disappears on games with horizontal scrolling like 'Atariblast', then there may appear parasites like small pixelated bars.


The CPLD on the Sofia2 is super hot when I touch it, so I wonder if the Sofia2 is bugging.

Edited by ricky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ricky said:

 

 

I also have concerns, after half an hour after starting my 130XE, the image disappears on games with horizontal scrolling like 'Atariblast', then there may appear parasites like small pixelated bars.


The CPLD on the Sofia2 is super hot when I touch it, so I wonder if the Sofia2 is bugging.

 

Just tested it with Atariblast and I don't see any of the effects you described.

 

Doesn't look like a software problem in sophias firmware.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...