8bitgamer

Should the Intellivision Amico Have a Cartridge Slot?

Posted (edited)

Like a lot of Intellivision fans, I was hoping the Amico would have a cartridge slot for playing old games when I first heard about the console. 

The more I've thought about, the more I think it would have been a bad idea for the success of the system:

Edited by 8bitgamer
  • Like 1

/agree

Love the Intellivision, but no need for backwards compatibility.  Everything is so different 40 years later that it would have been a lot of extra work and possibly hindered the new design.

It would be a different story if there was no way to play the old games.

• Like 3

I believe in the Amico thread there was mention of an add on peripheral  item to be released at a later date that would support the use of old Intellivision  cartridges. 

I personally hope so and would love that!

I am in no way involved on the production side of the Amico,so please dont hold me to that!

I just saw comments posted to that effect a while back.🤞

• Like 3

I agree that a cartridge slot is not needed. But I would like to be able play original and homebrew roms, and IntyBasic games on it using an sd card or similar. 

• Like 3

In the interview Tommy Tallarico did for my YouTube channel, he insinuated that the Amico would support physical game media. That was as far as we discussed it at the time. It will be interesting to see how that materializes. Eager for Amico!

• Like 2

I will buy the digital versions of the original games.

Not having access to a cart slot will prevent some of the games we love from ever being available.....

Think along the lines of the flashback.  We got the games they could give us.

Maybe the Tron games will be added?  But I played a lot of Bump N Jump, BurgerTime, Activision, Imagic etc.

Like I said, I will support this product. I want it to succeed.

With the re imagined versions of a lot of the classics, I may not play the originals as much?  But, I will ALWAYS want to be able to do so.

I have a few consoles that are hanging on :)  But time is an enemy no one can beat.

I enjoy emulation for some games.  I also love my Ultimate Flashback. 

But nice wireless controllers in the living room, instead of my hidden away setup...   This is where CLUE comes in Tommy.  With that, the wife lets me set it up in the living room!  LOL

I don't think I would have "built it in" But I think would include a "Punch Out" or Door where a module could snap in.

It could be a usb to cart reader, but it should be part of the console, if possible.

At this point... I hope design changes are done.  Even if the cart port I want is not included!  10102020.....  It is like an enhanced binary!

• Like 1

If there is a cartridge slot or adapter that could only be a plus and a positive!

It certainly would be a nice added feature for many people. 😊🤞

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I agree.  I didn't want to see it as part of the original design, but would be great as an add-on.  

Makes sense... Even though most of the old games have been dumped and can be read off a stick/sd real easy.  It would be fun to be able to use the 40+ year old carts on a new platform.  Being able to play all of my ROMs on the Amico straight out of the box would be a huge sell point and put the system into immediate play...rather than having to wait for stuff to be developed.  

I do like the punch-out/cut out area for expansion idea.  That would be cool. 

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 3

I did want to add that a cartridge adapter would be a great,quick and easy way to have all of the old original games playable on your newest and biggest TV!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, wolfy62 said:

I did want to add that a cartridge adapter would be a great,quick and easy way to have all of the old original games playable on your newest and biggest TV!

I agree that this would be pretty cool.  Something that we would 100% support if some 3rd party person wanted to put it together.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

There it is,all the Official answers to an Intellivision cartridge adapter possibility for the Amico!👍😊

Edited by wolfy62
Adding info.
  • Like 1

I would think adding a cartridge slot would be impractical, as I expect only a niche group of Amico users would actually use it.

That said, I would certainly not object if the Amico is a hit to see at some point something like a USB add-on peripheral being offered that would allow the classic Intellivision game cartridges to be plugged in and used with the system.

Extra points if the design looks like the System Changer :D

• Like 2

I think it would be neat to have an cart slot, but also slightly unnecessary. They should be releasing the old games in bundled packs in 2021. So the cart slot would really only be needed for games they wouldn't have rights to release. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2020 at 7:07 PM, Tommy Tallarico said:

I agree that this would be pretty cool.  Something that we would 100% support if some 3rd party person wanted to put it together.

email sent

• Like 1

I don't think the Amico needs a cart port.  Most and maybe even all of the people who would even use that already have an Intellivision that they can use to play those games.  I'd be more interested in some assurance that the Amico will play physical games without the need for a download or authorization.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They've already said "physical" amico games will be downloaded.

Regarding an intellivision cartridge adapter peripheral; whoever decides to make one should have it compatible with any computer including PC and retropie.

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

Regarding an intellivision cartridge adapter peripheral; whoever decides to make one should have it compatible with any computer including PC and retropie.

I understand.  I just don't think that's going to be acceptable to most people that will only buy physical games for a variety of reasons and I think it hurts them with less sophisticated gamers as well who may not want their kids on an Internet connected console.  

4 hours ago, mr_me said:

If it is worth doing at all, it would be worth doing as a USB peripheral. You'd then pair that with software on the device (be that Amico, Android, PC, Mac, Pi, etc) that supported the reader, as well as played the games.

As others have pointed out, this would mostly be useful for titles that are not available to license, which can be for a multitude of reasons. Titles which are available for license certainly *could* still be played from cart, but would make more sense to be available digitally.

• Like 1

Yeah, USB, you'd just need a bit of software on each OS that takes the dumped files and passes it on to the emulator of the user's choice.

5 hours ago, mr_me said:

Yeah, USB, you'd just need a bit of software on each OS that takes the dumped files and passes it on to the emulator of the user's choice.

I don't think so for JLP games?

Unless the emulator supports the hardware functions and reads the security elements of roms married to LTO FLASH etc.

Add in new large bank switched games.

Harder than just reading the rom to ram.  I think?  But that is the impression I get from other things I have read on Atariage.

As far as dumping jlp cartridges, if the same person who designed the jlp cartridge is doing the cartridge reader add-on than it would be possible.  But they might not want to.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mr_me said:

They have not been interested in compatibility with PC emulators in the past, even though jzintv is designed by the same person as the LTO flash. Hopefully, a well designed cart-adapter for the Amico would play these games straight from the cart or LTO flash. We can always hope the LTO Flash/Amico cart adapter will become jzintv compatible in the future.

I think it would be a great homebrew idea, as that would be amendable to the niche group.

As far as the guy who said he would want kids on an internet system, it would only access the Amico network, so I don't see the problem.

A cart port on PC, Retropie, or Amico is just going to be a glorified rom dumper like the Retron77.

I think the controller working with the emulator would be higher on my list. A nice wireless compatible controller that works with PC and emulators would make it a better experience to play intv games, than with an Xbox/other controller, or have to find an adapter or working original controller.

• Like 1

That's not a bad idea.  A pure software solution.  Someone could write a driver for windows, linux, etc. that makes the Amico controller work with other computers.

I would like to see a 3rd party peripheral adapter to play the original titles that cannot be licensed and to get to use the new Amico controller on original games. If that cannot be a thing then that's far from being a deal-breaker for me. I don't want any such notions adding to the development or deployment of the new system or weighing on the production team's minds and taking up valuable time/resources. If a 3rd party doesn't feel the idea is viable then I can live without it. If one is created and sold I'll be one of the 1st to order one. 

Either way I'm buying at least 2 Amicos, lol

• Like 1