IGNORED

What new homebrew should Dr Ports make next?

Rev

On 5/25/2020 at 8:42 AM, First Spear said:

I think Tapper and Elevator Action would be, running about all the stuff that makes an Intellivision game fun:

1. Good replay value, yeah they are about the high score but would have longevity and. It be a curiosity and something for to sit on a collector shelf. 

2. For the Intellivision graphics capabilities without a lot of pain. I think we have seen from AF and Intellivania and Prince of Persia mini demos that “sleight of hand” can be done well with MOBs and BACKTAB to give multicolor sprites and animation. 

3. They are not overly taxing with sound, so having good background tunes going while reserving 1-2 voices for gameplay is possible. 

4. The controllers could be used without spraining anyone’s thumb (some of us our thumbs are getting old).

Please make it so! And if you need background music for something please send me a direct message I do have a little free time coming up if you need it. 

Great suggestions. Have you been reading Dr Ports secret diary?

8 hours ago, artrag said:

Rev you are disappointing 

Change the name of your release and let dr Ports make his games without interference

You are not better than Dino&co if you continue in this way

What have Dino and Inty-Home done to you?  

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, IMBerzerk said:

Another AD&D... Like "Return to Cloudy Mountain"  Using the same graphics, but adding more monsters, and more quest objectives...

And you can add gold, so your little house can act as a shop to buy weapons, armor, buy items needed to solve puzzles you encounter across the map. 

And you can pay for health, or extra lives. 

So your house is representative of a little town. 

But trekking back home will be a perilous journey and you need to venture back to progress in the game, so maybe have another town or two across the map

There is nothing wrong with unique games, something that even would make people not already into Intellivision wanting one. Since the topic tends to steer (no pun intended) into car related games including Spy Hunter, now Bump 'n Jump and even Combat Cars, I would like to repeat a game concept I mentioned back in February 2017.

As we know, the goal of Spy Hunter pretty much is to drive along the road, shoot down/bump away enemy vehicles, watch out for enemy helicopters and protect civilian cars. At least for as long as I've played the game in various versions, there are no goals to reach. Seasons change, bonus weapons are added but that's about it. Even a game like Antarctic Adventure is more goal based!

From what I understand, Spy Hunter was intended to be a James Bond type game but Bally Midway were unable to obtain the licensing. Not that the actual licensed JB games were any better, though they usually got more playable along the end of the 80's.

The organization who have contracted Alec Sects to work for them as a spy must not have much else on their mind if all he has to do is to endlessly travel the roads in his G-6155 Interceptor like some form of armed traffic cop. Sure, he has a lot of enemy cars to get rid off, but all the elegant spy stuff like gathering of information, blowing up power stations or whatever must be handled by a more qualified colleague.

This leads me to a new game that would borrow segments from games like Spy Hunter, Road Fighter, The Great American Road-Race and so on.

* The game could start with a given mission: capture or eliminate this person, gather this information, bring these items here

* The road could consist of finite segments, like Road Fighter or the lesser known Wheelie Racer (Super Cassette Vision)

* Some of the segments may have one or more boss cars for you to eliminate

* At the end of each segment, there may be some non-car action scenes where you pick up important documents, stolen gems, secret items etc

* At the end of each segment, you would see a map and determine which way to travel next in order to finish your spy mission

* You might be able to update the car besides the weapons the truck drops, perhaps faster, more sturdy, even get a motorcycle instead

* Once you have successfully finished your mission, your grade is increased and you get a new, harder mission

Yes, it would involve more work than just porting the old arcade game, but I really think this is a game that would fit many tastes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Games For Your Intellivision said:

I don't think that you could call that a port. 

Doesn't matter what you call it... It would be a hit.  Of all the games ever mentioned that everyone asks for a sequel, new version... Etc... AD&D is ALWAYS on the list.

Temple of Apshai

Gateway to Apshai

Impossible Mission

Barbarian

Knight Games

Realm of Impossibility

Load Runner

Bruce Lee!!  

• 3 months later...
On 5/23/2020 at 11:56 AM, Rev said:

You should make that!  That game is on my wish list. 

Putting this in here to keep people's minds on it. If it's faithful to the original, but makes use of the Intellivision features (disc, keypad), I'll buy at least 2. I'm definitely willing to support anyone that wants to lead it with game ideas or music or sound effects as well.

20190213_025131272_iOS.gif.b46db11174c9622738f27abbe2288467.gif

• Like 3

3 hours ago, First Spear said:

Putting this in here to keep people's minds on it. If it's faithful to the original, but makes use of the Intellivision features (disc, keypad), I'll buy at least 2. I'm definitely willing to support anyone that wants to lead it with game ideas or music or sound effects as well.

20190213_025131272_iOS.gif.b46db11174c9622738f27abbe2288467.gif

Agreed! I'd love to see Elevator Action get made for the Inty