IGNORED

What new homebrew should Dr Ports make next?

Rev

Anything involving the Smurfs needs to be thoroughly licensed, or you are looking to face more severe problems than when you leech on most other intellectual properties. Besides previous incidents hereabouts, I remember that guy who uploaded a PD Amiga game featuring the Smurfs, and got severe threats to remove all signs of that game immediately. Nintendo almost appears lenient in comparison.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, wolfy62 said:

Time Pilot and Joust would be great additions as intellivision ports.

I think that when suggesting a game for Dr. Ports to do, you have to take the capabilities and the limitations of the Intellivision into mind. I noticed on a Cosmic Avenger review, someone complained that the graphics were 'too big'. That is because the Intellivision has about half the resolution of a Vic 20. His version of Omega Race has less real estate as well. This is simply due to the way the Intellivision works, and was not a programming decision in any way. 

Also, remember, the Intellivision doesn't have multi-colour cards, and only 8 moving objects (sprites) that can be combined to give you colourful sprites such as Mario on Elektronite's DK Arcade. DK in the game is one brown blob. I'm actually pretty shocked how Cosmic Avenger looks so close to the arcade game and beats the Colecovision in terms of graphics. If I had to guess how a game would look once ported to the Intellivision, I would have guessed that Cosmic Avenger would look terrible. 

I don't think that a game like Joust would translate well, because of the lack of vertical playing field. However, I think that Time Pilot would probably translate well due to being able to scroll around. Of course, one would have to ask Dr. Ports what games would translate well, as I clearly wouldn't have thought that Cosmic Avenger would turn out well at all. I would suggest that 'tall' games such as Gorf or Galaxian probably will be avoided. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 8:48 AM, russ99 said:

Super Cobra is pretty much identical to Scramble, maybe the levels are slightly different.

Probably my favorite original Intellivision 125 game.

Dr Ports already did Cosmic Avenger which is similar in gameplay and superior aesthetically.

I'm guessing that they'll be trying to do sonething different than previous releases as long as possible.

10 hours ago, Games For Your Intellivision said:

I think that when suggesting a game for Dr. Ports to do, you have to take the capabilities and the limitations of the Intellivision into mind. I noticed on a Cosmic Avenger review, someone complained that the graphics were 'too big'. That is because the Intellivision has about half the resolution of a Vic 20. His version of Omega Race has less real estate as well. This is simply due to the way the Intellivision works, and was not a programming decision in any way. 

Also, remember, the Intellivision doesn't have multi-colour cards, and only 8 moving objects (sprites) that can be combined to give you colourful sprites such as Mario on Elektronite's DK Arcade. DK in the game is one brown blob. I'm actually pretty shocked how Cosmic Avenger looks so close to the arcade game and beats the Colecovision in terms of graphics. If I had to guess how a game would look once ported to the Intellivision, I would have guessed that Cosmic Avenger would look terrible. 

I don't think that a game like Joust would translate well, because of the lack of vertical playing field. However, I think that Time Pilot would probably translate well due to being able to scroll around. Of course, one would have to ask Dr. Ports what games would translate well, as I clearly wouldn't have thought that Cosmic Avenger would turn out well at all. I would suggest that 'tall' games such as Gorf or Galaxian probably will be avoided. 

The Intellivision can do Joust with the same proportions/gameplay.

intv_joust1.pngarc_joust2.pngarc_joust1.png

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Special Teams said:

How would you design the Joust flap mechanics?  Using the side buttons would be brutal and the disc would be for direction.

Ouch!  Fingers hurt just thinking about that.

Couldn't it just auto flap if you are pushing in upward directions?  You could tap or press and hold the disc.  Same for buttons, press and hold.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sinjinhawke said:

Ouch!  Fingers hurt just thinking about that.

Couldn't it just auto flap if you are pushing in upward directions?  You could tap or press and hold the disc.  Same for buttons, press and hold.  

Fingers hurt from pressing button? What are you, 90?

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 1:57 PM, Special Teams said:

How would you design the Joust flap mechanics?  Using the side buttons would be brutal and the disc would be for direction.

I was thinking the disc could be flap and direction.  Tap the top center to flap, tap top-left to flap and go left, bottom-left to just go left, etc.  The controls might work but maybe not.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, carlsson said:

Isn't Space Raid (Nanochess 2014) already a "better Zaxxon"?

Better Zaxxon... meaning a better Zaxxon... much like Ms. Pac-Man, Donkey Kong.. .etc.  I like ports, or clones... but it's always great to see the real thing.

Even a better Q*Bert would be nice as well.  The C64 version is a near identical copy to the arcade.  With how good BurgerTime and Donkey Kong look, gotta be worth a try.

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 2