IGNORED

Somebody should stop me!!!

leech

Anyone else just think 'man, I wanted to do that 25-30 years ago, but didn't have the money or couldn't find the $thing'?  And then end up finding it all now on ebay?

So I now have being shipped... an Atari 1025 printer, lots of tractor fed paper, and I got some ink ribbons for it.  Plus I just ordered a light pen (to go alongside my touch tablet) so I can do animations on the 8bit!

But I also bought a 1010 by itself (boxed and everything) but haven't even tested it as I know it's one where I should check the belts.  Plus in a bundle with a 1200xl, I ended up with a 410 as well... and of course this is to check out the cool audio playback abilities...

Atari 800xl was my first computer, and I still think I have the fondest memories of it... It's kind of like loving Star Trek the original series over Next Generation... the roughness of the operating system, and actually having to put your brain to work to imagine how awesome it really is, rather than the clean cut, better special effects of the newer 16+ bit systems.

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

Psssttt...        I've got printer dust!!!!    that's right...   over here...  okay you get one free sniff, you like the sample? We gotta charge ya if you want more... you know where to find us!

Nancy Reagan says to JUST SAY NO!!!!!!!!!!

image.thumb.png.880340e7d00688de4c8f8ec79b241e1d.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

These posts make me chuckle.  At one point I owned over 40 atari 8 bit machines.  I was hiding them from myself (and you all know what I mean).  These days I own an amount I can face.  However I've recently started building a set up...

I used to be like that 15 years ago. Luckily most stuff was cheap then.

Didn't stop me running up a huge credit card bill from importing NOS stuff from BC and Best though.

Happy with my little collection now 

I had same buzz about 15 - 20 years ago, I just wanted everything, we had some money to spare (remember those days?) and I started going through Ebay like a madman, looking up hardware and software alike but when it came to actually pay for it I just could not do it. The money was there but I simply could not justify the greed I had. Needless to say I regretted not doing it but at the same time realised I'd done the right thing.

And of course a few weeks later a couple of unexpected bills came in and wiped the cash....

Now I have got to a point where I'm happy with what I have, there's the odd thing I want but I've worked out that I can only give so much time to all the retro gear I have now, more unless its dead special just isn't worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pseudografx said:

I ended up with a Falcon in my closet about 4 years ago. Always wanted it ...and now I have no use for it. At least it's a good investment ?

Mine sat with its top off for far too long, finally got the courage to add in the internal scsi adapter a couple weeks ago.  Now I need to find the courage to move it to the Wizztronics case...

Not just Atari's, I've done the same with Action Man/GI Joe. I get it. But about 25 years ago I got hold of nearly every Atari (and Commodore's for $hits and giggles, as well as consoles). I would have around 40 Atari's and parts and after a cull of the Commodores down to about 15. That list includes two Falcons, a TT030, pair of MegaSTE's, Jag ......... its nuts. But I love them all since I had my first 800XL 40 years ago.

What I learned, when the rear end drops out of the market for something that's fun, buy it up. Right now is the best era for the Wii, PS2/3 and XBOX 360. Let that be a warning. ?

12 minutes ago, Atari030 said:

Not just Atari's, I've done the same with Action Man/GI Joe. I get it. But about 25 years ago I got hold of nearly every Atari (and Commodore's for $hits and giggles, as well as consoles). I would have around 40 Atari's and parts and after a cull of the Commodores down to about 15. That list includes two Falcons, a TT030, pair of MegaSTE's, Jag ......... its nuts. But I love them all since I had my first 800XL 40 years ago.

What I learned, when the rear end drops out of the market for something that's fun, buy it up. Right now is the best era for the Wii, PS2/3 and XBOX 360. Let that be a warning. ?

I have kind of done that with Transformers... I have so far resisted the urge for He-Man...

It is too bad I do not have much nostalgia for that, as I ended up getting a PS3 much later in life, and it sits mostly unused, but connected at this point.  Too bad the PS4 couldn't play the previous PS games...

I have a thing for Star Wars games, and hacking hardware so any console will do. ;-) I do have a serious soft spot for the N64 and original Xbox. While I like Nintendo's I seem to have wound up with quite a few Sega's. DC, Saturn etc.

I do have a few Star Wars figures and vehicles as well, but Action Man is the main hook. I have a complete Joe/Action Force 82 to 85 set of vehicles and figures. That's around 400 figures..... I love what I love, I budget and stick to that and just enjoy it all. ?

I don't think the phrase means what they imply it does...

https://atariage.com/forums/search/?&q="stop me"&search_and_or=and&search_in=titles&sortby=relevancy

but do that search including the body of posts and you'll see none of these folks want to be stopped... ;)

On 5/23/2020 at 4:22 PM, leech said:

Anyone else just think 'man, I wanted to do that 25-30 years ago, but didn't have the money or couldn't find the $thing'?  And then end up finding it all now on ebay?

So I now have being shipped... an Atari 1025 printer, lots of tractor fed paper, and I got some ink ribbons for it.  Plus I just ordered a light pen (to go alongside my touch tablet) so I can do animations on the 8bit!

But I also bought a 1010 by itself (boxed and everything) but haven't even tested it as I know it's one where I should check the belts.  Plus in a bundle with a 1200xl, I ended up with a 410 as well... and of course this is to check out the cool audio playback abilities...

Atari 800xl was my first computer, and I still think I have the fondest memories of it... It's kind of like loving Star Trek the original series over Next Generation... the roughness of the operating system, and actually having to put your brain to work to imagine how awesome it really is, rather than the clean cut, better special effects of the newer 16+ bit systems.

That was me in the 90s, when I graduated, and got a job that gave me some extra money.   So I started picking up things I could never have before.    But then I realized I didn't have time to make use of it..  I used emulators to get my retro fix, and the equipment sat in my basement until I admitted to myself I would never actually use it and started selling it off.

3 hours ago, zzip said:

That was me in the 90s, when I graduated, and got a job that gave me some extra money.   So I started picking up things I could never have before.    But then I realized I didn't have time to make use of it..  I used emulators to get my retro fix, and the equipment sat in my basement until I admitted to myself I would never actually use it and started selling it off.

Ha, I am actually getting to the point where I like fixing the things as much as using them.  And on that note, I may make another valiant attempt at fixing the 800+incognito+SCCC build before I attempt to send it off somewhere...