IGNORED

Adding the Super Color CPU Card to my 800 and...

leech

10 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

how long you have that 800, the friend doesn't look desiccated enough and hasn't broken down to bits and dust...

I got it on March 1st.  Was shipped on Feb 25th.  Guessing it was fixed up, and then sent to me. 

I bought an extra NTSC CPU board from MyAtari that was "NOS" but came with "NOS" replacement IC's with their little genuine chip hologram stickers that were all the XL versions, including the 65C02 CPU.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I bought an extra NTSC CPU board from MyAtari that was "NOS" but came with "NOS" replacement IC's with their little genuine chip hologram stickers that were all the XL versions, including the 65C02 CPU.

Pretty sure no Atari used the 65C02. The 6502C SALLY, yes. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

Yeah, mine is the 65c02 as well.

On another note.  Most of this time has been me futzing around with trying to get the thick ass cable for the audio soldered to a tiny pin, and at least four screw ups trying to get a header for the Incognito sorted out!  First, totally soldered it in wrong... then did it on the back of the board, until I realized it hanfs over the memory slots... then put it on the chip side of the board and... crap same issue... I think my solution is crafty enough!

20200523_191611.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, leech said:

Correct, sorry mine is the 6502C.

Two of my 800's have SALLY CPUs, one has a 6502B. That one came originally with a single 16K RAM card and has an after-market 32K card in slot 2. :) 

But yeah, SALLY was already in production by the time the 5200 was launched (late 1982), so all 400/800 machines built from sometime in 1983 onward can basically be assumed to have SALLY's on the CPU card in all likelihood. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Pretty sure no Atari used the 65C02. The 6502C SALLY, yes. 

Yeah, I keep forgetting which is the Sally. Probably since there is the 6502, 6502B...

• Like 1

@flashjazzcat Dude!  You left me hanging! 

Where did you end up soldering the ground / shielding?  From my testing with the multimeter, the pink must have been wrapped with the shielding, and set as the ground, then secondary ground is the grey, so I'm not sure if you can get a cleaner picture with those separated out or not (wouldn't really think so).  To be fair, even without the ground (and through my HDMI capture device, which means it's going through the RetroTink 2x Pro) it's looking great.  There is a little bit of a 'glow' around things, but I kind of think that's the RetroTink.  I haven't tried it connected straight up to a monitor yet though.

13 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

Looks like composite. My SCCC output looks better tbh. Not trying to be mean but give you feedback on the video quality in that screenshot.

Yeah, it pretty much doesn't really look all that different than what it did pre-mod.  But the shielding / ground of the cable isn't connected to anything either.  Also, this may be due to the capture card upscaling.  That screenshot is from OBS, RetroTink 2x Pro, and the AV.io HD device.  So I'm not sure where it's getting it's fuzz.  I need to connect it again to the 1084S and see how it looks there, but as it's still in pieces, I haven't done so yet :P

50 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

Yes it's hard to be sure from here. I see ghost(ing). Connecting ground may make an improvement.

2nd image is with ground connected.  Then of course what do I do?  I lose one of the plastic pegs that hold the motherboard to the bottom metal casing.

Time to design / 3D print one.

@flashjazzcat @tf_hh Either of you guys ever experience the screen going all funky after installing the SCCC?  It doesn't do it immediately, just after it's been on for a minute or two!  It actually looks like it's got some sort of power drop, as any other software exhibits a dimming of the screen.

Edited by leech

12 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

I've never seen that on my install. Your s-video does indeed look better than before but still seeing vertical bars.  The screen dropping out like that... Could be the monitor or the computer.  No idea.

Definitely the computer.  I swapped monitor cable, power supply and monitor (before it was going through the retrotink, I connected it to the Dell 2007fp to verify it wasn't the scan converter.

Did you cut the A/V and wire it up internally?   I followed the video posted earlier.  I was thinking it may be my ground connection, so I had disconnected the two wires at the SCCC point, but it still did it.  My next try (tomorrow)  will be to unsolder the ground wire again, as I wonder if it is causing some sort of power drain.

1 hour ago, leech said:

Definitely the computer.  I swapped monitor cable, power supply and monitor (before it was going through the retrotink, I connected it to the Dell 2007fp to verify it wasn't the scan converter.

Did you cut the A/V and wire it up internally?   I followed the video posted earlier.  I was thinking it may be my ground connection, so I had disconnected the two wires at the SCCC point, but it still did it.  My next try (tomorrow)  will be to unsolder the ground wire again, as I wonder if it is causing some sort of power drain.

I wired my SCCC A/V cable out the back, through the RF (the 800's butt hole?) port.  Did not disable anything on the powerbord. I have no idea. You might check to be sure the video port on the side of the machine is completely disconnected from the rest of the computer internals. I'm sure you already did that but wanted to mention it.  Post photos of what you did to disable the 5 pin din video port.

2 hours ago, Sugarland said:

I wired my SCCC A/V cable out the back, through the RF (the 800's butt hole?) port.  Did not disable anything on the powerbord. I have no idea. You might check to be sure the video port on the side of the machine is completely disconnected from the rest of the computer internals. I'm sure you already did that but wanted to mention it.  Post photos of what you did to disable the 5 pin din video port.

I didn't, if you watch FJC's video, if you remove some components and wire the cable up to them instead of hanging a cord out the butthole, you can feed it through the on board port.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leech said:

Either of you guys ever experience the screen going all funky after installing the SCCC?  It doesn't do it immediately, just after it's been on for a minute or two!  It actually looks like it's got some sort of power drop, as any other software exhibits a dimming of the screen.

If you get strange effects like that after a determinate period of 'warming up', it generally indicates that some connection is becoming marginal owing to expansion. In the case of my own SCCC board, I didn't see anything quite that serious, but the picture quality - which was initially excellent following a cold power-up - would degrade somewhat in the space of five or ten minutes. Eventually I reflowed all the socket legs on the SCCC board and touched up a few other bits of soldering, and the issue went away.

• Like 2

The output on my SCCC looks very good and sharp except I do still have vertical bars despite being pretty careful about the grounding.  I'll have to go back in and check, but it doesn't bother me enough that I felt like fixing it immediately.

I did follow FJC's video on hooking the output up to to the monitor connector.

Your pictures look more like the stock output, but it's hard to imagine what could have given you those results.  It's certainly indicates a problem if your video "goes funky" after a minute or two of being on, though.