IGNORED

Adding the Super Color CPU Card to my 800 and...

leech

13 hours ago, leech said:

This is S-Video.

The vertical bars may appear if you don´t remove the capacitors between the three signals (Luma, Chroma, CVBS) and ground. All three must cut or removed. Look here:

Usage_800_Video_Internal_for_SCCC.thumb.png.4e99068dc0ba74d856477c54e0bf0fbd.png

And important: The three wires must have a shielding connected to ground!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, leech said:

@flashjazzcat @tf_hh Either of you guys ever experience the screen going all funky after installing the SCCC?  It doesn't do it immediately, just after it's been on for a minute or two!  It actually looks like it's got some sort of power drop, as any other software exhibits a dimming of the screen.

Hard to say from the distance. It could be a power issue (weak electrolytic caps at the 800 power PCB), or a (partly) defect of the 7812 and/or 7805 linear voltage regulator. Otherwise I´ve a lot of Sally CPUs with a 83xx datecode from the manufacturer Signetics with similar issues - mostly found in the 600XL surprisingly (this may differ from U.S. experiences of course). This CPUs has timing issues during warm up. I got a yellow background color in the XL selftest menu then. Typical for an instable PHI0 --> PHI2 timing, which causes ANTIC to confuse.

Try another CPU first. Then maybe refresh the powerboard with new caps. Sometimes they´re bulged already.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jamm said:

The output on my SCCC looks very good and sharp except I do still have vertical bars despite being pretty careful about the grounding.  I'll have to go back in and check, but it doesn't bother me enough that I felt like fixing it immediately.

I did follow FJC's video on hooking the output up to to the monitor connector.

Your pictures look more like the stock output, but it's hard to imagine what could have given you those results.  It's certainly indicates a problem if your video "goes funky" after a minute or two of being on, though.

This is what A800-stock (Y/C sVideo) looks on my end of the rope:

66B9A6BE-526F-4A60-A3B3-85648080E085.thumb.jpeg.79b5eb75410c9d83806d9a45ea17dc41.jpeg

196AD1FF-ADAE-4F82-AE97-D9E260CC89BD.thumb.jpeg.9579c597c7297aec192e700e4f88c0b2.jpeg

Looks (to me) this should be the minimum or initial reference for further imptovements.

2 hours ago, tf_hh said:

The vertical bars may appear if you don´t remove the capacitors between the three signals (Luma, Chroma, CVBS) and ground. All three must cut or removed. Look here:

Usage_800_Video_Internal_for_SCCC.thumb.png.4e99068dc0ba74d856477c54e0bf0fbd.png

And important: The three wires must have a shielding connected to ground!

So those are what I did.  But since the end of the video cut off where he had connected to ground, I found most of the area was ground.  So I took one of the holes left over from c176 and soldered the shield and ping grey and purple to it.

20200525_102920.jpg

Edited by leech

1 hour ago, tf_hh said:

Hard to say from the distance. It could be a power issue (weak electrolytic caps at the 800 power PCB), or a (partly) defect of the 7812 and/or 7805 linear voltage regulator. Otherwise I´ve a lot of Sally CPUs with a 83xx datecode from the manufacturer Signetics with similar issues - mostly found in the 600XL surprisingly (this may differ from U.S. experiences of course). This CPUs has timing issues during warm up. I got a yellow background color in the XL selftest menu then. Typical for an instable PHI0 --> PHI2 timing, which causes ANTIC to confuse.

Try another CPU first. Then maybe refresh the powerboard with new caps. Sometimes they´re bulged already.

Just because I live in Utah, doesn't mean I have a lot of Sally's around.  (heh, polygamist joke).  I'll pop open my other 800 again and see what CPU I have on that.  Funny enough, the CPU board in there is completely different than the one I had in this 800.  The ICs are all upside down for one.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

If you get strange effects like that after a determinate period of 'warming up', it generally indicates that some connection is becoming marginal owing to expansion. In the case of my own SCCC board, I didn't see anything quite that serious, but the picture quality - which was initially excellent following a cold power-up - would degrade somewhat in the space of five or ten minutes. Eventually I reflowed all the socket legs on the SCCC board and touched up a few other bits of soldering, and the issue went away.

I just spent far too long tracing around on the board and at first was panicking because I thought that the 12 volt rail was somehow added to the grounding!  But no pin 1 on the power connector is apparently another Ground pin, and pin 2 is the 12v.  At least as far as I could see (I still never quite found where pin 1 was on the schematic). 

Well, I think I may just end up having to send this off to you to have a look at it, assuming your schedule is open, and pandemic-wise it can pass through customs... And hey, I can give in and you can make some cash while you drill a hole in the power board for the ATR button / HD LED mod!  (I did 3D print up a design, but I couldn't quite figure out how to make it easily removable without the wiring falling into the case... )

I'll send you a PM.  I'll still donate for the original install video as well. 

Cheers!

P.S. For sure, even when it is working initially, it seems there is a bit more 'glow' to the colors on Composite.  Also, the more I mess with it, seems the worse it looks...

36 minutes ago, rockdoc2010 said:

Not a single mention of that fact that you have a bug in your system! IBM would be abhorred!

Ha, that cracked me up when I saw that spider under there.  I still need to decide what I want to do with it.  I'm guessing sending an 800 to the UK for FJC to fix is going to be a bit pricey!

• 1 month later...

Sweet!  I think I fixed the problem with my 800's 'power drain'.

Here are the steps I did to fix it.

1) Threaten it that I'm going to send it to @flashjazzcat

2) Actually box it up, like I'm going to send it.

3) Leave it all alone, in the dark embrace of the many packaging bits for about a month.

4) Threaten that I'll send it to @Faicuai

5) Subject it to another couple weeks of isolation in the box.

6) Took it out of the box, threatening to tear it apart again, to operate!  But otherwise left it on the floor.

Hooked it up last night in an attempt to mess with palettes and such, and it seems to be perfectly stable, with a phenomenal output! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3