IGNORED

Favourite system to play Pac-Man

I put the most time on any PAC-MAN game, including the original, on my touch screen phone and iPad. I find handheld touchscreens are perfect for the simple gameplay. No button presses, just direction swiping. I also like the movement buffering they allow too without needing to constantly hold a direction.

i do have multiple Namco compilations with the game with real controls as well, but PAC-MAN on the go has really helped me get back to playing again.

Tomy Tronic Pac-Man of course.  Had one as a kid, got one back at the flea about 5 years ago and it's always ready to go with batteries. :D

Seriously though, iCade 60in1 cocktail I have.  I think some of the games being hacked into it run off, or I've really lost it (I'm getting thrashed by Donkey Kong oddly) but Pac-Man and Ms Pac Man on it are solid.

• Like 1

Lately I really like the ColecoVision version,and have grown to really like the NES version despite hating it when I first played it.

I have the Tomy tronic handheld too and I just played it the other day. 

Pac-man on GameBoy is actually good too. :lolblue: :rolling:

• Like 2

Right now definitely the stock pacman Arcade1up at my brother in law’s house. The 4-ish way joystick makes all the difference.  ?. Although I play Pac-man PLUS exclusively now rather than regular pac since it’s more exciting.

I actually also have a regular actual arcade pac but it’s out of commission and I’ve been too lazy. 

You're right about the 4 way.  My icade uses a 4 way as that thing has all those older 80s games other than 1943/kai which would likely be the newest in there.  There's no mistaking corners when diagonals don't screw things up.  Same reason why the click stick sucks on the NGPC so much Namco put a restricting ring to snap on your stick for  Pac-Man on there so it played correctly.

On 5/24/2020 at 8:53 PM, mbd30 said:

MAME on PC.

The NES port is okay. I find that it's necessary to hold the change in direction in advance because of unresponsive controls.

No wonder why I can't turn in the right time. I first thought my joystick or my keyboard was faulty.

Or maybe the emulators. Or video recorders on pc.

Never had problems with real NES.

On 5/24/2020 at 7:08 PM, John Stamos Mullet said:

FbNeo on Retropie, on my Pi-equipped Arcade1Up Pac-man cabinet, with a genuine Sanwa JLF. 

Zero Lag, Arcade quality control, proper vertical monitor, correct arcade aspect ratio, original arcade ROM, 100% accurate emulation, and the lovely glow of a backlit arcade marquee lighting the room. 

Yeah. I noted lags on NES (Emulators) and flashing sprites too.

I never noted these problems on real NES. But again ...

Just an aside.. if you're bored of vanilla Pac-Man and have never given Pac-Man Plus a fair shake (I knew what it was but always ignored it all these decades), it's worth a second look. The unpredictable power pellet effects aside, the 2x scoring on the ghosts after eating the bonus fruit is a great additional mechanic to the game as it's real satisfying to get 3200 points on a ghost :lol:. e.g. Here's my initial pattern for the 1st stage

• Like 2

I just want to add that this new version of Pac-Man Collection for Atari 7800 (see video above) displays the resolution of 320 horizontal pixels.

Game type is split into 4 categories: 

- Pac-Man Series (Pac-Man, Hangly-Man, New Puck-X, Popeye Pac-Man, Ultra Pac-Man)

- Ms. Pac-Man Series (Ms. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Plus Arcade, Ms. Pac-Attack)

- Pac-Man Plus Series (Pac-Man Plus, Ms. Pac-Man Plus, Hangly-Man Plus, New Puck-X Plus, Ultra Pac-Man Plus)

- Random Maze Series (Pac-Man Random Mazes, Ms. Pac-Man Random Mazes, Pac-Man Plus Random Mazes)

- There are 8 selections for starting level.

cart.jpg.1f5bfd07af5393b4e8a392b9df588456.thumb.jpg.4eee9111538eff85cfc8c77a9ba2c792.jpg

Edited by Defender_2600
  • Thanks 1

Real arcade or MAME with a decent 4-way joystick.  IMO, there's just no good reason to play anything else when you have the real deal available. 

But, I can enjoy pretty much any half decent port of Pac-Man, so long as I'm playing with a joystick.  For me, d-pads and maze games do not mix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, roadrunner said:

Apple II

For Ms. Pac-Man, yes, I agree. That's the home version I grew up with & will always love the most.

However that Taxman-turned-Pac-Man game, on the other hand, never quite did it for me. It just feels... cheap. Bland. I could never play it for long.

• Like 1