IGNORED

1010 doesn't play but rewinds perfectly

ijor

I turned on my 1010 tape recorder after, something like 20 years I guess, and it doesn't play tapes. The tape doesn't move at all after pressing the play button and starting playback from the computer. Rewinds works perfectly, but fast forward sometimes works, sometimes does not, hardly and a bit noisy, seems like it is struggling. Again, this is only for fast forward, rewinds play perfectly all the time and quietly.

I didn't check if the motor control line from the computer is ok. But I tried two different computers and two different SIO cables. And considering that fast forward doesn't work perfectly either, probably that's not the problem, at least not the only one. Just in case tried several different tapes and two different tape power supplies.

Any clues at what the problem might be? I understand that the 1010 has a single belt, right? So if rewind works, then the belt should be ok?

Edited by ijor

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that the problem is that only 1 of the two (2) belts broke.

Their is 1 for the PLAY speed and another for the FF and REWIND (on a different gear)?

Never heard about only 1 belt before (am I wrong?) .

I would open it up and watch it run FF/REWIND/PLAY with my own eyes..

Edited by ColleenLover
additional info

It is probably (still) the belt. After 20 years it is definitely degraded. The 1010 uses 1 belt for normal operations and 1 belt solely for the tape counter. Rewinding is much less hard for the 1010 than forwarding.

Do you know which model you have? There are 2 different Hong Kong models (square belt and flat belt) and the Japan model.

I

29 minutes ago, gilsaluki said:

Elongated, worn belt.  Get a new set.  Fun stuff.

I tried finding info on the 1010 belts before, ran into a thread where they talk about the 410 belts, but wasn't able to find the 1010 ones.  Mine is made in Japan.

Sizes are stated in this topic: 

But as long as you don't have the flat-belt Hong Kong version I recommend buying a small lot of different sizes at Aliexpress. All those sellers on Ebay and webshops (including my webshop lol ?) buy these lots. You can fix several 1010 recorders with one lot for a lot less than the ready made sets. I have replaced the belts of over 30 1010 recorders, you don't need the exact size.

Here is an example of a lot on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000029357977.html

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ijor said:

Thanks everybody. Here are some quick photos that might help to identify the exact model. It is made in Japan. Might even be possible to see the condition of the belt?

It is too hard to see if the belt is still okay..... sorry ;-)

But.... let us first check something else. I have opened my Japanese 1010.

If you pull out the mechanism (a lot of screws, but you need to open it for exchanging the belt anyway) you can see a small gear in the middle. When you rewind the gear goes to the left to make contact with the bigger gear on the left.

1010_jp_rewind.thumb.jpg.61323c606264d731650d2f9c974bb53d.jpg

When you forward (or play) the gear makes contact to the right big gear. Can you check if your mechanism still is okay?

1010_jp_forward.thumb.jpg.03f1bca90bd50d7327d43f4531f2799e.jpg

I have measured the belt I use and it is a 12 centimeter one. You can buy a small assortment of belts on Aliexpress or you can search locally for a 12 cm one.

Good luck!

belt.thumb.jpg.73a0eb823012b00a3692ecdb57eff21c.jpg

Edited by Fred_M

19 hours ago, CharlieChaplin said:

Hmmm,

with my XC-11 it is the other way around: It records and plays fine, but rewind and forward do not work very good (they work, but both are slower than play, looks like super-slow-motion). Is there also a belt responsible for this behaviour ?!?

I have to take a look at the mechanism of the XC-11 to be sure, but it sounds like a belt problem indeed. I will open up mine and let you know.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:22 PM, CharlieChaplin said:

Is there also a belt responsible for this behaviour ?!?

Yes it is.

Look at this picture:

xc11_belts.thumb.jpg.31e437a267c191f05d440961dd0b5853.jpg

The XC11 uses 3 belts. One large belt (the main belt in the picture) to drive the mechanism and for the play-function. Another large belt for the counter and a small belt for fast forward and rewind. Just like the Japanese 1010 fast forwarding and rewinding is done by moving a small gear to larger gears left and right.

So my conclusion is that this belt is slipping in your xc11.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of days later, and with a bit of help from Fred, I managed to replace the belt and now the mechanical problem is solved, or so it seems.

But now it catches a lot of interference noise when playing. I can hear one, or might be two, radio stations. The noise happens as soon as playing starts. Even if the 1010 is turned off, with the PSU disconnected, the noise starts as soon as the computer turns on motor control disregarding the play button. However, if the tape recorder is turned on, then the noise doesn't happen unless both play is pressed and motor is operating.

Is this related to the shield? I believe I put the shield correctly when reassembled the unit, but since it is attaches with a single screw it is a bit loose.

Not sure if it is related or not, but attempting to boot any tape fails after the first block. In theory it shouldn't be related, the noise on the analog audio channel should not affect the digital SIO channel. Although lot of noise might affect the filters performing the digital conversion at the recorder?

Will appreciate any clues, thanks.

you are going to need to look over whatever got disturbed and put it as it was, getting the shield solidly attached as is also needed....

Yes the radio stations can affect the digital tones when the correct frequencies are hit from this or that, garbage in, garbage out before or after the encode decode, it would appear as a random failure to load or save... since the broadcast has to hit the frequency or it's harmonic that clashes with the data at that time.